Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
G'day Shirl

I'm off to Bali tomorrow :sun2

As I've been so many times I no longer do the trips as we have been there and done it. What I will do is gather some brochures for you and post the 'to do list in Bali' when I return with recent prices.

You hang in there girl because when I get back... it's your turn :cheers

Geri
We did a fab trip which was a bike ride (downhill) through small villages and paddy fields ending up with a cooking lesson- we loved it!
Thanks both of you , hope you enjoy your trip Gerib :)
Hi shirleyV,

Must do's and Must see's. In Ubud, take in a traditional temple dance and walk through the rice paddies.

I thought that some of the sights on organised trips were very "touristy" - especially Lake Batur (with lunch at the restaurant with - OK I exagerate - thousands of others!). Some pre-booked and hotel based trips work out quite expensive.

On our last trip (Sanur) we talked to the guy who took us from the airport and had trips using him as a guide, plus a driver and car. This worked a treat and was half the cost (we had also done a similar thing with a group of others when we stayed in Nusa Dua). The other benefit was that it was very much "free form", so we could take his advice or even move on if we weren't interested. The problem is that we don't recall the names of many of the things we saw! (monkeys, forests, paddy fields, volcanos, spice garden [free plus free samples and coffee!], painters, wood carvers etc., and of course temples). His home village was close to Ubud and we spent a very interesting time with some local people who were harvesting rice.

If you are into Spa treatments, there are some very good and relatively inexpensive ones to be had, especially in the Ubud area - very relaxing and frequently next to the rice fields and / or river.

It is almost 2 years since we were last in Sanur (although we will be going back in September). If you would like me to look out the name and number of our chap, I would be happy to do so, please pm me - can't guarantee that he has not changed his number though.

gerib - enjoy your trip and look forward to any tips and updates you may come back with.

Peter
Thanks Pete for the info, I get the feeling there are no absolute 'must sees' in Bali which suits me just fine, I am more than happy to 'potter' around and maybe take in the rice terraces and some cultural dances etc......we are wanting to relax too so I think Bali will fit the bill.

I like the sound of the low cost treatments in the spas , will definitely be trying some out :)
Shirley
definitely hire a driver for at least a couple of days. As Pete said, you have complete flexibility. the scenery in Bali is the "must see". You are in for a real treat. Even though you are are going to Ubud, make sure you go to the morning Barong dance, just outside of Denpasar. Even though I had bad food poisoning and was trying hard not to be sick at the time we went, I still appreciated what a great performance it was and just how much fun and enjoyment the dancers/actors were having.
Make sure you try out Ibu Okas for lunch in Ubud. A pretty unique place, even if you are not a fan of suckling pig( like me!)
The Dirty Duck is definitely worth a dinner there. It would probably be even better for lunch as it overlooks paddy fields( but if you are like me you can't each much during the day)
The time before last we did try an organised trip. Have a look at what I thought. It definitely took you to places you wouldn't know about and it really felt as if it were off the beaten track. The minuses are that it is far more expensive than hiring a driver, and you are with perhaps 3 other couples. It was a great day though.
http://www.wakaland.com/
Dont book anything for the two days you have in Ubud as there is enough to do and see there- and loads of brilliant little shops.
Thanks Fiona , like the sound of the shops in Ubud ;) I really like mooching and shopping , hoping to go to a spa for some treatments too , will most definitely go to see a dance performance , they look stunning
Hi Shirl and everyone

Well I'm back from the worst, most expensive and miserable holiday we've ever had. There we were enjoying Tegal Sari until I fell off a SMALL step an broke a bone in my foot in three places. I spent the rest of the time (10 days) wheelchair bound and hobbling on crutches which I wasn't (and still not)very good at as I'd hurt the other leg in the fall. My husband was wonderful throughout but it did ruin the holiday for us. I wanted to go home but I was reminded of the fact that he can't cook and at least I get fed in Bali.

I was in denial and walked on the foot for 2 days before eventually going BIMC for X-rays... 4.600 million roopes later. It was a bit like the film "where does it hurt?" and the cash register rings. Still I got very good treatment and I was seen to promptly. I had to return for an anticoagulant injection prior to the flight and to return the wheelchair.

Bali is not a wheelchair friendly island and so we were limited to a couple of restaurants nearby the Kumala Pantai. One night we did venture out as we had a Bali Travel Forum meet organised at a beach bar... this meant 'his nibs' had to push me on the road with the motorcyclists coming towards us and nerve wracking... I put my crutches up so if they got too close I was going to knock them off their bikes before they ran me over. I refer to this night as 'The night he tried to kill me' The Balinese have a wonderful sense of humour, often they would aim for me and swerve around me laughing their heads off :yikes I can do with out that kind of excitement.

Travel insurance paid and organised my upgrade to Starclass (Jetstar/QANTAS) with wheelchair assistance but refused my husband despite he'd been my carer for 10 days and I needed his assistance. We had to pay $US520 for him to sit next to me. The insurance company rang me yesterday to see if I'd got home safe so I voiced all my concerns saying that I was going to appeal the decision and if no joy then I will go to the Insurance Ombudsman. Anyway, four hours later they rang back and said they reviewed my claim and have reversed their decision and now will pay for my husbands seat.

However, our problems were still not over. Because on arrival at Melbourne airport I was asked by the crew to remain seated until the entire plane disembarked and we was happy to comply with the request. I was met by a female with a wheelchair"¦ chatter amongst her and the crew informed us that the first person sent to pick me up refused to wait when told I was the last to disembark the aircraft.

As I'm being pushed towards Duty Free I told her that my husband wants to go in and buy something and she refused to allow us to go in. I told her he knows exactly what we want and he won't be long"¦ but she still refused. She literally hijacked me and pushed me away from my husband without telling him where she was taking me or where he could find me. About 20 yards up she then asked if I had my passport which I hadn't"¦ so she wasn't best pleased and had to go back to get my passport off my husband.

During my ‘hijack' I asked her the procedure about where she was going to leave me. I told her we had parked in long term car park and that my husband had to catch the shuttle and return for me to load me and the luggage. I thought I was doing her a favour by not expecting her wait until he got back"¦ however, I was told that she was would be taking me outside and leave me on a seat and I was to wait there. The temp was around 7c and freezing cold by Bali standards.

So she whizzed me through officialdom and towards the carousels for luggage pick up. She then placed me in a position so I couldn't't see my husband coming through"¦ saying she was leaving me here as she had paperwork to do. This wheelchair was not a self propelling wheelchair and by that I mean the wheels are not placed at the front of the chair so it can be easily be propelled by the person sat in it. Anyway, I struggled to turn myself round and slowly slowly I managed to crawl to a position where I eventually spotted my husband and called out to him.

He was bloody furious"¦ he had NO idea where I was and that he had been grilled at immigration also he'd been refused our full quota of duty free as he didn't have my passport or any proof that he was travelling with another person. It was "more than their jobs worth". Anyway, the woman finally came back and I told her about the duty free episode and guess what??? SHE DUMPED ME!!!

So loaded up to the gills"¦ We edged our way towards Quarantine "¦ My husband pushing a trolley with his right hand and me in a wheelchair with his left. The queue was VERY long and other planes had arrived in the meantime. The area was roped off in lines but not wide enough for our extra wide load and so we bumped into the poles and ropes "¦ me leaning out the chair to reposition them out of the way. One officer barked why we hadn't got our passports/paperwork ready and my frustrated husband said "In which hand would you like me to have them in?" I commented to another officer that this is Jetstars wheelchair assistance and she politely said that this is Quarantine and to take it up with the airline"¦ and fair comment. So I am going to.

Finally"¦ just finally common sense prevailed and we were rescued my a kind Quarantine officer who recognised our plight"¦ not only did he wave us through after questioning what we had to declare but he opened a door and he personally pushed me through and left me INSIDE the building while Paul went and got the car. I was ever so glad as I only had a t-shirt and ¾ pants on... I could go on but I won't.

Follow up x-rays and a Doppler scan today to exclude out a DVT as my calf is sore... hoping it's just muscular.

Cheers Geri
Oh Geri, so sorry you have had such a bad holiday and experience. I am totally disgusted at the assistance you received.

Hope you are soon on the mend.

Kath x
You poor sole, I feel terribly for you. Bali is not a great place to be if you are wheelchair bound.

But your own immigration experience.... we hear terrible things about Ozzie immigration here in the UK, at least they are being consistently rude to everyone, including their own!
In 20 years this was my first negative experience at Melbourne Airport and normally it's a pleasure to come home. But what a shame one person can change your opinion of an airline or city.

I'm not sure if the person who gave me wheelchair assistance worked for the airline or was an employee of Melbourne Airport... either way she is going to get it in the neck.

I'm not after any freebies... I just want that woman retrained and to show some respect for people with disabilities in a wheelchair.

Had a Doppler scan today and unfortunately I have developed a DVT... now for the rat poison :yikes

I am in desperate need of a holiday so roll on October as we are off to Penang and KL. Just as well we pushed the boat out and booked the XL seats with Air Asia X so not sooo squishy :tup

Cheers Geri
Some holiday that. Sorry to hear you've had a DVT...been there myself... a bit scary
So sorry to hear what sounds like an awful holiday,i was really looking forward to reading your trip report as we are going to Bali for the first time in september,just shows how easily things can go wrong!Hope you have a speedy recovery :tup at least you've got your october trip to look forward to :wave: Manxcat
Hi gerib,

So sorry to hear that your holiday was ruined - I can't imagine being wheelchair bound in Bali.

Enjoy your "rat poison" - the icing on the cake eh?

Hope everything goes well for your October trip.
:think One final thing
but I was reminded of the fact that he can't cook and at least I get fed in Bali.
I hope that you can reach the cooker OK - I would hate to think that your husband will starve, now that you are home.

Peter
Sorry to hear about your ruined holiday Gerib, get well soon x
oh Geri
just read your post. What a nightmare. And of course the first couple of weeks can be painful in a break. I know that only too well. You poor thing :(
Hi ShirleyV

It must be this coming weekend that your Bali trip begins.

Have a great time - we have just over 9 weeks to go before KL/Bali.

Enjoy!

Peter
Hi ShirleyV Have a great trip,think you booked about the same time as me but i've still about 12weeks to go :( look forward to any reccomendations & must does once again enjoy.Manxcat :wave:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.