Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi Helen, well you would need to visit your GP to get a booster for the usual ones you mentioned as you will need a top up by now. As for needing anything extra, there is nothing compulsory but it will all depend on how you feel about extra protection. There have been numerous topics discussing immunisations in these countries. Maybe one of the mods would be so kind as to provide a link for you.

The first time I went to the Dom Rep and Mexico, I didn't bother with anything extra and was fine - even going on a jungle safari and into the villages so I wasn't going to bother when we went again last summer. However, having read that in the unlikely event I'd catch something, the insurance wouldn't pay up without proof of an immunisation, I decided to be safe and have them. I did refuse the Malaria medication though as I'd heard of quite a few people who'd had side effects. My advice to you would to get the info from your GP, have a read and make your own decision.
helen,

Use the NHS Fit for Travel website here by using the drop down menu.

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/home.aspx

We keep up to date with all normal injections but do have HepA and Typhoid and keep them up to date as we travel regularly.

As shirley says they are only recommended but some insurances will not cover you for claims if you do not have them, then become ill.

Angie.
Helen = we went to Dom Rep in July. We took the malari tablets as my hubbie gets bitten very bad and we had no problems. I had recently had to undergo some heart proceures but was still able to take them just a different sort to my husband. My teenage son took them to and no problems for him either. We had to have the usual boosters for tetanus and diptheria. Went to Cuba in 2006 and sort advice from our practice nurse. Sorry cannot remember what ones we were given but know that none of us had any problems.
Thanks for all the advice everyone :cheers It's still ages before we'll decide where to book, but now I know what we're letting ourselves in for jab-wise. I don't like needles but I'm sure the holiday will more than make up for it!
Cuba no injections required

but you'd still be well advised to ensure that you are up to date with your boosters for Polio, Diptheria and Tetanus and taking that advice of your GP re Hepatitis. Immunisation against waterborne diseases is genreally recommended.

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.