Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Welcome to Holidaytruths Simon.

You are in the correct forum for info and discussion about the hotel and resort, we also have a separate reviews page HERE.

However, for info and discussion about your flight, you would be best in the THOMSON AIRWAYS topic in our Airlines & Airports forum.

David :wave
Thanks very much for that David, much appreciated.

Simon
HI David,
I think you have picked well. We stayed at the Mambo's sister hotel Riu Merengue about 4/5 years ago and sometimes used the Mambo's restaurant and swimming pool. You are probably aware that you're entitled to use its 2 sister hotels for everything bar your evening meal. It was the smallest and quietest of the 3 but nonetheless, very nice. The Mambo is situated on one end of the beach, with the Merengue in the middle followed by the Bachata. A short walk along the beach connects the 3.
Enjoy!
:sun2 we are thinking about rio mambo in middle of jan is this a good time to go is there anywhere to go near by :wave:
Hi
We are thinking of going to Dominican Republic next November for a special birthday and have looked at Dreams La Romana, Bayahibe. As this is the East of the Island and Ocean World is right on the other side we were wondering if there was anywhere else we could swim with Dolphins as our son really wants to do this. We sort of promised as we have already done it in Mexico! We really liked the look of Dreams but are not sure whether to reconsider. Any info on this, the Hotel or the weather in November would be appreciated.
Thanks
Steph
Steph,

No there is nowhere other than Ocean World that you can swim with dolphins sorry to say.

Never been to Dom Rep in November so can only direct you to this link on the history of weather.You can change the years and change the months by clicking on relevent to you.

Puerto Plata.
http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/MDPP/2008/11/25/MonthlyHistory.html#calendar

Punta Cana.
http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/MDPC/2008/11/2/MonthlyHistory.html

Latest reviews can be found here.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/

Angie.
Just my personal opinion but although we really enjoyed Dreams La Romana (stayed there in August), we preferred the Riu chain in the North. It's all down to prsonal taste I suppose. Just telling you our thoughts in case you wanted to reconsider moving to the North of the island. Have a fab time, wherever you decide.
Thanks Angie for the info, I will check web for the weather, Dolphins issue is a bit of a blow may re-consider the hotel

Thanks Shirley, also for your input. We are going to consider some other hotels before we make a decision so, which Riu did you stay in? Also was the beach much nicer by Dreams or was it just as nice in the North. We do love our beaches!!!
Thanks again
Steph
Hi Steph,
They do say the nicer beaches are in the south and East. However, I found the beach at Baiha Maimon beautiful. Although the sand wasn't as white as the Beach at La Romana and there were more waves, it was still lovely and clean and the sea was a nice turquoise colour. There were also palm trees which gave some shade when needed.

We stayed at the Riu Merengue but also used the facilities of the Riu Mambo and Riu Bachata on either side. The 3 hotels were situated along the beach with the end of the Bachata leading onto a separate Sports beach where kayaking, pedaloes etc were all included in the AI package. Not sure if this is still the case as we were there about 5 years ago (I think). I think it would be worth you taking a look at the reviews for all 3 of these hotels. The Merengue goes by the name of Clubhotel Riu Merengue in the review section.
Hope this helps.
steph,

If you need any info on hotels or area, just get back to me as I have been going to the Dom Rep regularly now for the last 7 years. Will try and help any way I can.

Angie.
Hi Shirley
Thanks again for replying, had a look at the Riu reviews and have to say I was not as keen on any of them as the Dreams La Romana (prob just is personal preference as everyone is different) Also they did look a bit dearer, which is an issue for us, got to keep to that budget! I also think that the East looks more our kind of holiday, so there is the dilemma do we forgo the dolphin swim (husband says yes, but he would say that as we have already done it!) will have to speak to our son about how much he wants to do it!
Steph
Hi Angie
Thanks for offering your advice. You will see what I have said to Shirley, I am just favouring the East side of the Island. Do you have a preference? Basically we want a gorgeous beach, pref not with big waves (for son), good food (pref with Italian/pizzeria) we all love pizzas/pasta and in a good location to do the trips as we have not been to Dom Rep before and will want to get out and see some of the Island. Also the cost is an issue, will want to pay only around the £1000-1100 mark for each adult. Any suggestions????
If you have been going for 7yrs you must love the Island and know whats what
Thanks for any help
Steph
Hi Steph,

Out of the two sides we now go to the North as there is far more things to see and many more trips to go on, its much easier to get out and about off resort on the North Coast and of course you are near to Ocean World lol !! The East side of Dom Rep is more for R&R.nothing really there as its just a whole line of resorts along the beach with a few plazas dotted along for tourist shopping.
You dont get large waves, (well possibly if a storm brews up) on the North Coast but we have not had large waves on the Costa Dorada Beach or Playa Dorada Beach with our visits.
Resorts/holidays are less expensive on the North Coast as well, the holiday prices have always been much higher to go to the East.

Certainly do love the island we now call it our second home.
Have a look at these resorts.

Iberostar Costa Dorada (our 2nd home lol !!)

In the Playa Dorada Gated Complex resorts, shopping plaza, restaurants and bars, golf course etc all there.

Gran Paradise Playa Dorada.
Gran Ventana.

By the way how old is your son.(as you say no big waves)

Stay in touch if you need more info.

Angie.
Steph.

Here are the sites to go to for info on resorts.Iberostar does not have an actual Italian A La Carte but there is aways pizzas and pastas on the menu in the buffet retaurant.

http://www.iberostar.com/EN/Puerto-Plata-hotels/Iberostar-Costa-Dorada_3_62.html

http://www.amhsamarina.com/our-hotels/grand-paradise-playa-dorada-en?lang=en-GB

http://www.granventanahotel.com/

Hope this helps a little more.

Angie.
Hi Steph
Angie is a great source for very helpful and practical information and was a brilliant help to me before we went, thanks again Angie :tup

We are just back a few days from a fortnight in the North side staying in Playa Dorada at The Grand Paradise. I would recommend this hotel for a great beach holiday, I think it is without a doubt the best located hotel in the resort for the beach with a large stretch of beach frontage.
The beach at the Grand Paradise particularly around the curved bay area is very calm with lovely light coloured sand which shelves gently into the ocean and was nice and warm.

I have some pictures of the hotel and the beach area which will give you an idea of what is available in the area.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/574896173TLdkwu?vhost=travel

I hope this helps a little
Graham
Hi Graham,

Thanks for your kind words.

Love your pictures and videos, I wish I was on that beach now :offtop with all this drizzle we have been having today.Definately pining for my 2nd home lol !!

I am sure your pictures will help Steph, much better seeing the real thing than website pictures.

Angie.
You sure you moved in Graham - there's not a thing out of place :yikes
Hi Graham
We have had a look at the Grand Paradise and we quite liked the look of it, your pictures were fab, the beach looked gorgeous. We may be swayed yet! Tell me was that a suite you stayed in? and who did you travel with, as we cannot find it in any brochures. I can see that online Thomsons have the details but we cannot see any prices to get a guide of how much it will be.
Thanks
Steph
Hi Angie
I had looked at the Iberostar already and quite liked it, the Grand Paradise looks nicer now We have seen Grahams pictures (the beach looks up to scratch!) but I wasn't as keen on the Gran Ventana. Our son by the way will be 6 and half when we go, I realise he may not be able to do the Dolphin swim thought he could just do the encounter if we went. Anyway as it will be the first time we have taken our son long haul and it will be a special birthday, just gotta get all the info to make the right choice for us, so thanks for all your help. I will spk to Graham some more and mull everything over.
Steph
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.