UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
My best friend lived next door to that castle and we spent our summer holidays playing down the dungeons and up the towers :duh
Where do I start?

We live in York, Castle museum,railway museum. The centre is virtually an open air museum in itself, then there are the walls of course. Loads of things to do.

Patka
We live in Boston, Lincolnshire. About 25 miles away, half hour by car, we have the seaside resort of Skegness, with all the usual seasidey things. 12 miles away is RAF Coningsby, the home of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, on the way to Skegness there is the village of Friskney, home of the National Parrot Sanctuary, well worth a visit. Here in Boston we have the parish church, St. Botolphs, better known as Boston Stump, it`s a beautiful building, both inside and out, and if you have the energy you can ascend the tower for a fantastic view, you can see for MILES! We also have the Guildhall, where the Pilgrim Fathers were imprisoned, and out at Freiston Shore there is the Pilgrim Fathers Memorial. There is also the market on Wednesdays and Saturdays, it attracts loads of visitors from all over the place.
Hi, I live in Kendal, born and bred and proud !! so we live on the doorstep of one of the most beautiful parts of england, the gorgeous lake district !!
The Callanish Stones. Next in importance to Stonehenge and more accessible. The stones date back to 3000BC and from above are in the shape of a Celtic cross. There is a visitor centre on site and a restaurant. You are allowed to wander freely between the stones and during the summer solstice both visitors and locals join together to share company and music overnight.
Well, I live about 10 miles south of Edinburgh, so there's a whole wealth of tourist attractions in the capital itself, obviously, but closer to home, we've got the Scottish Mining Museum and Rosslyn Chapel (of Da Vinci Code fame), to mention but two. Neighbouring East Lothian has much to offer for tourists too - the Scottish Seabird Centre, fabulous golf courses and beaches, etc etc
Obviously a lot of people come to Edinburgh itself, but it's a shame that many don't venture out to Mid or East Lothian, because there is a lot more to see and do than they may think.
We live in Glasgow 2-3 miles form the city centre.

30 minute walk from ours brings you to Glasgow Cathedral, the oldest house in Glasgow and St Mungo's museum.

Glasgow is filled with loads of Rennie Macintosh buildings, museums, Glasgow science centre and many more things.

Helen
blondiescot don't forget one of my favourites out in your direction, the National Museum of Flight http://www.nms.ac.uk/our_museums/museum_of_flight.aspx
Kiltman HT Mod wrote:
blondiescot don't forget one of my favourites out in your direction, the National Museum of Flight http://www.nms.ac.uk/our_museums/museum_of_flight.aspx

Indeed, Kiltman - and home of one of the Concordes, too!
Nothing at all!! They even closed the tourist info office about 10 years ago because all it could do was direct people to other towns! Pity, it was quite useful for residents trying to get out!!!
I live in the beautiful Clyde Valley. There is New Lanark with replicas of Owen's Mills. I'm ashamed to say I don't know for certain but I think the Village now has World Heritage Status. There is a fantastic Nature Reserve and other attractions. My favourite times are the spring when right along the valley the apple, plum , pear blossom is out and the autumn when the foliage could challenge ' New England ' in the fall. But there again is the summer where all the soft fruit like strawberries and raspberries are available to buy or pick your own and again in mid September when the world beating Victoria Plums are available Then there is winter when the landscape can be stunning. Glasgow or Edinburgh with all there attractions are only 40/ 45 minutes away There are many other attractions like Chatlerau near Hamilton. The area is also within easy reach of the Borders and I feel it is one of of the hidden gems of Lowland Scotland
We live on the Lincs coast at Trusthorpe with Sutton on Sea a mile down the road, miles & miles of blue flag beaches, clean air & beautiful sunsets.
Inland we have the Wolds proving that not all of Lincs is flat :)
And there`s a brilliant fish and chip shop at Sutton-on-Sea!
Ah yes it's The Dolphin, you cannot beat fish & chips at the seaside, although the chinese along the high st is also good.
I don`t do Chinese, give me fish and chips anyday! Especially eaten out of newspaper on that beautiful beach there.
Hi,
I live in Nuneaton, in Warwickshire, we have Arbury hall, George Eliot the writer (real name Mary Anne Evans) was born in a cottage on the Arbury Estate. Also Larry Grayson comes from my town, his family used to live a few doors away from me.

Dawnie-Rob ---- Shut that door!!
I live in Wales so we're not short of tourist attractions =- lots of castles to visit including Chirk, COnwy and many more. Erdigg Hall a national trust place was an enjoyable visit.
I live in the Notts/Yorkshire borders..near to me I have Sherwood Forest

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/home/leisure/countryparks/sherwoodforestcp.htm

and we also have Centre Parcs

http://www.centerparcs.co.uk/villages/sherwood/index.jsp

and a personal favourite as it is just 6 miles from my house, where I have taken the kids many a time and now eagerly await grandchildren so I can take them! Pets Corner..

http://www.sundownadventureland.co.uk/

The nearest big places are Doncaster and Sheffield..
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.