UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
jersey
34 Posts
We used to stay at Modern Hotels, although the last time we went was several years ago (like 15 :shock: )

They always had good entertainment, when we were there in 1982, the top entertainer that season was a young Brian Conley!! bet he doesn't put that on his CV.....

Their website is herehttp://www.modernhotels.com/section/1/index.html

The Metropole is near Havre de Pas beach, the Mayfair is more inland from St Helier, but is within reasonable walking distance of the town and beaches.

My only caveat would be, don't go to Jersey if you don't like the smell of cigarette smoke, because all the tourists smoke the duty free fags like crazy!!
hi caziann

Acorncup, is spot on with the link she has given you.

i use the mayfair's leasure facilitys.gym /pool most days after work.
the mayfair pool is indoors,
the metropole has an outdoor pool.

they are about the only two hotels that i can think of with good entertaiment.artists/bingo/quizes etc.

:wave irene
Acorncup just noticed your bit about the smoke . :oops:

the island is soon going to be non smoking ,

Guernsey is starting on 1st. july i think.

we will follow soon afterwards no doubt.

irene
Hi CH I'm glad the hotels are going strong, we had some happy memories of holidays there when the kids were young (we flew from Southampton so it was a quick journey). We were there before they ever built the indoor pools! But went back several times so they must have been doing something right!

They used to have 4 hotels in those days, also the Ritz near Howard Davis Park (I think this hotel has been demolished?) and another, I can't remember what.

Hope the smoke-free zone works well.....it would suit me :)
heard the cost of living is expensive in jersey, alcoholic drinks etc, is this true
I expect Channel Highlander will be better able to answer this than I am, but in my experience, you have to remember that Jersey is an island, and most things have to be imported.

Home-grown foods are cheap (potatoes and tomatoes, anyone?) but imported foods are more expensive, and this includes bread (the bakeries have to import the flour).

Alcohol and cigarettes are in fact duty free so they are cheaper than in UK! So are jewellery and perfume, which is great for tourists, but not so useful for your weekly shopping if you live there!

However for a holiday, it doesn't work out cheaper than abroad, because the overheads are higher than in what-can-I-say less developed parts of the world. And there is not the economy of high capacity planes and hotels.

But you have short journey and transfer times, a UK type language, food, shopping, beach etc. environment, but with a foreign flavour.

You don't get boiling hot nights, you get more daylight in the evenings than further south like in the Med.

You have beautiful scenery, and above all, even at the height of the season, you don't get over-crowded beaches, because there is only a limited population on the island, and you don't get 20000 day-trippers descending on the beach on a sunny day, like you get in England!
could you tell me if st helier is quite flat as my mum has breathing problems. also wondered if night out was expensive? price of a pint, etc
Hi everyone,

Off to Jersey at the end of this month for a few days break, does anyone know if non residents can go into the modern hotel group mayfair or metropole and watch any of the entertainment, or if there are any other places with evening entertainment, i noticed last year a bar on the front in St Helier that did a drag show, cant remember what it was called, does anyone know if its worth watching. Many thanks.

Caz
hi again,
the bar on the front is called the cosmopolitan,it is a brilliant night, dragthe food is great,but as you will already have had your evening meal,you will still be able to just go to the show.

it also makes a great sunday afternoon/evening out.
the meal starts about 4pm and the show starts at 6pm.then dancing till late. when i was there at xmas i think it worked out at about £22 a head

modern hotels
non residents can get in with a guest,also if you are staying at one of the modern hotels,you can use the others too.

prices in our local pub

pt.john smiths £2.20
guiness £2.50
pt.lagar £2.55
bottle of stella £2.80
yodka 1.80
whiskey
rum
bacardi all £1.80

add on a bout 20p for hotel prices,and wine bars/discos.

irene :wave
hi anybody advise of taxi fare from jersey airport to st helier. cheers
Can anyone give me any ideas on a good but cheap B & B in St. Helier?
We are hoping to go in May or June for 3 or 4 nights but are on a tight budget.
Thanks
hi ruby red :wave

there are two nice little guest houses opposite my shop,(st, helier)

i will find out how much they charge,and get back to you.

meanwhile you can have a look here
http://www.a1tourism.com/uk/jersey.html

depending on where in the uk you are traveling from,
you might like to have a look at a weekend package deal.
http://www.modernhotels.com/

about jersey.
http://www.jersey.com/index.asp?bhcp=1

irene
Thank you so much, I will look forward to your reply.
We have just returned from a break in Jersey. I was intendeing to submit a report on the hotel we stayed in but there does not seem to be a way of doing this. Neither the hotel nor Jersey itself is listed in any of the forums. Does anyone know how to create a new report?
Myrtle if you let me know the hotel and a few details, i'll add the hotel to UK and Eire for you and provide you with a link.

Sarah
ruby red.

sorry for the delay in replying to you :oops:

i am on my holidays in Bulgaria at the moment,

i am back on wednesday,i will reply soon.

:lol: meanwhile i must go and sit by the pool with a long cool drink :lol: :wink: :wink:
Sarah HT Admin

It is the Hotel La Place, Route du Coin, St Brelade. It is an AA and RAC 4 star hotel with 42 rooms.

Regards

Myrtle
Hi

We're thinking of going to Jersey in June 2007, staying at the Samares Coast hotel for a week. If anyone has been there recently then I'd be very interested to hear what you thought of it.

We haven't decided yet if we will go by ferry and take our own car or fly there (and probably not hire a car). Is a car really essential to get the best out of Jersey or will the public transport be good enough to get us to everything we want to see? I know we can hire bikes but to be honest it's not my idea of fun!

I'd also be interested in suggestions of things to do if the weather is bad and if it is really viable to do day trips to France.

Thanks in advance
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.