Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Hello cubsur, it seems that the local councils along the Algarve have more money to spend or waste than the one back here in Britain.
Dave.

P S Like the black and white one of 5th of October St in Albufiera was that the last time they had the road up :tup
It is no secret that the local councils are receiving huge back-handers from developers. The developers buy planning permission for vast tourist resorts, hotels and golf courses and in return the councils have cash to spend.

There current rash of building shows no sign of stopping or slowing down. The only one I can think of that has gone bad is the Crowne Plaza site in Albufeira. This closed down, half built, last November and now contributes to what a friend of mine called 'horizon pollution'. If you are down in the Albufeira marina or coming along the road from A de Pera, look up and you will see what I mean.

The resorts create jobs for four or five months of the year for sure. But soon there will be nothing but concrete for the visitors to enjoy.

The Rua 5 de Outubro in Albufeira was still open to cars when I first came here in 1985. It was pedestrianised in the early 90's as I recall, along with the square and the other streets in the area. I think the black and white picture was taken in the early 60's but any contributions gratefully received.
cubsur,
Are they likely to have finished by end of May?
We will be in Vau and have friends staying in Albufeira and we planned to meet roughly halfway and Armacao seemed the best bet,thanks to your useful bus info. :tup
I don't know the timetable for certain, but all these works over the past few years have been scheduled to finish around the end of May so as not to interfere with the holiday season.

I will be able to get over to Armacao de Pera in a few days time, so I will update soon.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.