Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific

Discussions regarding holidays in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific region.
Don't know NZ so can't comment on there, but Sydney would be fantastic for New year (remember the Millenium?).
Flights take 24 hours but you can stop over in places like Singapore or Kuala Lumpu (which I think is nicer than Singapore anyway which is very westernisd).
You have everything on your doorstep with Sydney as there are plenty of places you can go to within an hour or so (Blue Mountains are great).
It is high season although there isn't much difference between seasons price wise any more. Weather is changeable but will defintely be hot - 25 degrees average probably although of course it can get to 40 but there is much variation!

Go for it! It would be a holiday to remember!

bellaoz

PS I lived in Australia for 9 years and sometimes wish I wias still there.
We were in Australia for Christmas and New Year in 2004. We were on the Gold Coast for Christmas Day in 30° heat, only problem was, it did not feel like christmas Day.

For New Year we were in Sydney and we booked a Harbour Cruise for new years eve, this was the absolute highlight of the holiday, the pictures on TV do not do the fireworks justice, but seeing the real thing is unbelievable. Shop about for flights, as the price varies, but you will be going at peak time over the christmas and new year. You can only book flights 11 months in advance and christmas and new year get booked very quickly. Try Austavel for flights they seem to have loads of deals
Thank you people for your input, i must say you had a wonderful holiday according to your reports.
The weather is just up my street i love it hot,hubby not to keen i will have to get him a sombrero. :lol:
Will look into austravel see whats available.
Not to bothered about missing christmas day thats one of the reasons we would be on holiday and the other too celebrate hubby's big 50th.
There's so much to choose from it gives you a headache.
Hi Sleep_r_us

The fireworks on the Sydney Harbour Bridge are a must see thing to see in Sydney on new years eve you can see them from plenty of places along the harbour or a cruise would be a very good way of seeing them but to get a cruise you will have to book early the cost of accommodation is dearer at that time of year as every one out to see the fireworks and partying that night so hotels keep there prices up.
Things to see in Sydney are the Blue Mountains , a cruise on the harbour , atrip up the Skytower for the best veiws of Sydney , a Sydney bridge climb can be done also but at that time of year with the fireworks being set up i do not think you will be able to do it , trip to the Hunter Valley to some of the best wines Australia has , and also some very good beachs are in Sydney are some of the things Sydney has to offer.
If you want more info just ask
We travelled to NZ in Feb 2004 to visit family. We travelled with Air NZ via LA and on the return we stopped off in Fiji for 2 weeks at brothers time share. We booked our flights at that time through a company called Travelbag after finding that they were able to offer the same flights that were offered on the Air NZ website, but cheaper!!!

If you require any info on where to go and what to see send us a PM.

Its a fantastic country, pity its such a long way away!!

Brian & Linda
My advice is to fly Air New Zealand, stopping at Fiji either on the day or the way back.

We flew to Fiji last year - we caught NZ1 (which is the plane that goes from Heathrow to Auckland), and changed onto a smaller Air New Zealand plane at LA for the 11 hour flight to Nadi, Fiji. We had quite a tight connection - about one and a half hours - but we made it.

Once in Fiji, we stayed in the Warwick for five nights. Fiji is a wonderful place - the people are the friendliest you'll ever meet and the scenery takes your breath away. We did a day trip to the island where they filmed Castaway (the Tom Hanks one) - the islands around there are STUNNING! It was a great place to chill out and get over the long flight.

We then carried on our trip to Auckland, again with Air New Zealand. This time the flight was only 3 or so hours.

Air New Zealand has better leg room than most other airlines - I think it's a pitch of 34 inches between the seats in Economy (it can be 28/29 inches on some charter airlines). The food was excellent, and I've never been on a plane before where they've given you such a big choice of wines! The only downside was the entertainment (everyone had to watch the same film), but I've heard that they've improved this since we flew with them.

Hope this helps...

U2fan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.