Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
hi surflou,
Can't comment on the baby/nappy front, however, there is a large supermarket in Alykes centre that sells almost anything!
As for Theo & Soula. We enjoyed our stay there 3/4 years ago. The owner 'Jimmy' is Greek/Canadian and can often be seen helping out here and there and also talking to his guests. There's a smail(ish) bar which was run by an English couple. The pool is big enough and clean. Rooms...well we stayed in Soula (apts). Basic, but clean with a nice big balcony. A good base.

Out of interest, is this a package holiday and if so, who did you book it through?
Hiya,

Yep it is a package holiday, we went through our local travel agency and the actual holiday is with Panorama, we're in Ireland by the way.

We went to Alykanas last time and spent a lot of time in Alykes, on the beach anyway, though we did take a stroll around the shops one day when it was like 48 degrees out!

What is the weather like in early to mid June? I know its supposed to be about 25 degrees but thats what they say about September at it was between 30 & 45 when we were there most days, an unexpected heatwave apparently.

I didn't know there was a big supermarket in the centre of Alykes, I know there is one as you come off of the beach at the far end of the town, there is a car park opposite leading to the beach which has a kind of river leading up to it... We found it after hiring a quad bike for the day then crashing it 15 mintues later into a tree, seriously injuring my wrist, my other half wouldn't go any further on it then, she was terrified so we ended up taking it back at the end of the day after spending €40 on a tank of petrol which he didn't even refund for us!

Anyway, thanks for the info, I'll keep searching for advice onthe nappies and formula!
Hi,
We've only been to Alykes the beginning of May and September, so don't know what the weather in June is like. i presume it will be quite hot.
The supermarket in Alykes is called Montes, However if you turn left out of Theo & Soula and go up the hill to the main village (can't remember name) there is a really big supermarket near the church & square by the crossroads/t-junction. The chemist is also on that junction, so that will have baby stuff.
Those quad bikes are good fun, but they are dangerous, best stick to a car! Buses are good fun as long as your not in a hurry!!!
I take it you know about places to visit i.e. the shipwreck, blue caves etc..?
Hiya,

Was it warm in May then? I know it wasn't supposed to be as hot as it was in Sept but it was an unexpected heatwave apparently...

I'll keep an eye out for Montes, do you mean the big village that you need a taxi or car to get to? I seem to remember being sent to a village with the only chemist for miles around when I damaged my wrist on the quad, they told me to avoid going to the doctor as the pharmacists are all very highly trained and would tell me if my wrist was broken (which I thought it was as it swelled up three times its normal size and turned black), we got a cab up and back which cost about €25 as he waited for us, they told me it was a torn tendon not a broken bone which was a relief of sorts, they gave me gel and painkillers and some anti inflammatories. It went down byt the end of the holiday but the problem was that we had the accident on the 3rd day there! I have to admit it was funny though, sitting with my girlfriend in a romantic restaurant with her cutting up my dinner for me because I couldn't lift my knife or fork up with my left wrist for a week! Very funny and the most memorable holiday yet, I still have the scar on my leg from where I was cut and also suffer from tendon problems with my wrist 2 years later! Still was totally worth it all, would never hire a quad again though! The roads are WAAAAY too dagerous in that part of Greece! I don't know about a car even!

I do know about the places to visit yes thanks, last time we did the trip around the island on the coach which stopped in different places all over the island, including the Porta Roma where we saw Poseideons face in the rocks! Was all great expect for the fact that my camera memory card broke when we got hom and we have no video or photos from the whole hoiliday which I was really upset about as I had waited 32 years to see the Parthanon and we went on the trop to Athens, Athens was such a horrible city though that we wouldn't do it again!

We didn't go to Olympia which I wanted to do this time but I heard it was a waste of money as you only get an hour there and then have to pay into the ruins. We did do the shipwreck etc but not the Kefalonia trip, we plan to do that this time though. We want to do the little train thing too this time.

I am trying my best to remember the layout of Alykes but I can't the only part I can remember is the big steak house on the crossroads, the crossroads, the area whre we crashed and the area where we parked up and went to the beach which is where we went every time we went to the beach after that... We found a tiny little strip with only 4 sunbeds on it and got there early enough every time!

Whereabouts are the apartments? If you ask me where stuff is in Alykanas I can tell you, but not Alykes...
Apartments - Stand at the dreaded crossroads with the big steakhouse (probably called Relax) and your back to the beach. Walk straight ahead away from the center, you'll pass Piccadilly hotel/taverna on the right, up a slight hill, Lofos studios on right under a huge tree, down the slight hill, pass Potamitis studios on the left, (do go and use the facilities there, very good) Theo & Soula are the next studios on the left after Potamitis. So, your about a 15-20 minute nice stroll from the center.

The weather in May can be indifferent - One year it was very hot all the time, another was warm in the day, but chilly at night.
September's nice, never had any bad weather during our visits in that month.

Probably is the same village.

We hired a car whilst in Alykes twice, found it great to tour the island. Go to the blue caves ect.. when the tour companies don't...bliss.

Little train (Trainaki) if you do the train ride round Alykes, you get the chance to purchase tickets for a Greek night for Trainaki customers only. Done this twice...Great night!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.