Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Zakynthos [Zante]
392 Posts
We spent over an hour and a half queuing in the hot sunshine back in May 2003. I don't know if anything has been done to improve the situation since then, but I was not overly impressed - luckily we had been forewarned and had taken plenty of water. I wonder what they do if it rains
The worst airport we have ever had the misfortune to be in! Not enough seats, not very nice toilets and the check in queues have to be seen to be believed - you have to queue outside.

The departure lounge can only handle about one and a half plane loads of passengers and sometimes there are at least 4 planes checking in.

The last time we visited Zante (our 2nd visit) we waited for over an hour for our luggage to appear on the one and only carousel.

At the end of the day it is your decision but personally I would not want to be there with a toddler.

Not all Greek airports are quite that bad - Samos was the exception - a beautiful airport but then there are only a couple of airlines that fly in from here and it is not used very much.

Pippa
airport is tiny. we were delayed and i sat on the floor for 4 hours. its the same as any other greek island airport that i have been too, small, not much to do and hot! but dont let an airport put you off. zante is a great place
Zante airport is pretty dire. Its very very small, I think there are only three check in desks in a very small hall. We were there last year and they had put some shades up outside for queing purposes.

We have been told that Sunday is the worst airport day. We flew in and out on a Tuesday which wasn't too bad.

In my opinion the airport is worth suffering for the island. Zante is a lovely place to take your little one. I think if you are prepared for the airport it isn't so bad.

Sarah
Zante airport has improved over the past couple of years, especially with regard to the queuing, they have put a canopy/roof over the area you have to queue in on your return, so at least you are not out in the blazing sun if you have a daytime flight. Also when you have checked in you can go and sit under the trees outside as it can tend to get very crowded if a few flights leave together. The loos are not that bad, just down some spiral stairs.

One arrival can get a bit congested getting your cases, only one luggage belt, and the area is quite small.

I have been to worse airports and we have been to Zante 4 times and it has not put us off. Mum and Dad have been 5 times and they are pensioners and they can put up with it.

If you have a late night flight/very early morning don`t forget your mozzie repellant.
The airport is small with only one luggage conveyor belt but Zante is lovely.
It is certainly not the worst airport we've been through.
I doubt very much that your toddler will care - go enjoy and don't let it put you off, we went in the middle of August so you couldn't really get hotter or busier, but it wasn't that bad.
The airport from hell :evil:
They are supposed to be making improvements to Zante airport. However, this has been on the cards for quite some time.
When they will finaly get round to actually do some work to it, god only knows. But that's the way the Greeks are. 'Why do it today, when you could do it tomorrow'!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
We flew out of Zante on three days ago - on Tuesday.

It really wasn't that bad. On arrival our flight arrived first, followed 20 minutes later by a Gatwick flight. The bags took about ten minute to start coming through on the carousel, and while some took longer than others our transfer coach was loaded and away with 45 minutes of landing.

On the return the First choice rep talked us through the check in process on the coach. Again two first choice flights out within 20 minutes. Two queues outside under covers. The reps managed the queues really well to ensure no one was stood in the sun, and there was no queue jumping. They call you in ten at a time, one desk for each flight. Then you go through passport control

Check in at Manchester the week before had us queuing for 90 minutes, it only took 45 to get from the coach to the lounge in Zante.

The lounge was full, but no more than other greek airports.

All in all not nealry as bad as people made out, but I imagine it depends on when you fly, and who with.
We went to Zante last year and travelled on a Sunday which I believe is the worst day. We waited about 3 hours for our bags on arrival. There is only one luggage conveyer belt and there were about 7 flights waiting. On the way back we probably waited for about 3 hours again. We waited outside for over an hour to check in and then we had to queue for passport control which wasn't open when we arrived in the middle of the night. Then we waited in departures where there isn't enough seats.

It was really boring but it wasn't awful, then again I don't have any kids!
Lesvos was not much better last year but the good thing was that we were late there and so were rushed through!!! I do recall over 15yrs ago that Zante was bad even then .
Additionally Naples has to be experienced to be believed .... my hubby nearly ended up having a punch up there (not his fault)
I guess they have a captive audienec but theres nothing worse than being forced to wait when you are tired and hot and cramped is there?
Was in Zante in May of this year. We were told that the Arrivals part of the New Terminal Building should be open by September. All being well, it should most certainly be open for when you decide to book up. Like others have said, don't be put off. Go to Zante, the people are really fabulous and friendly. Don't take my word for it, read the Resort Reports also Hotel Reports. We went through First Choice and had a wonderful holiday. :D :D
thanks for all your help! :D
Just read on http://www.justzante.co.uk that the new terminal is finally open for business.
Dont yet know whether it is only handling arrivals only, or both arrivals and departures. Word was that when it opened it was going to be arrivals only to start with, with the old terminal being used for departures.

Andy
we have been to zante 6 times. the airport is awful. have to stand outside for anything up to 3 hours...when you get inside there are dirty toilets down a spiral staircase..you have to suffer it or hope that the plane takes off on time and you can use theirs..no seats, no air conditioning, .the arrivals hall is just as bad ... Zante airport...never again :twisted:
Hi all,just returned from zante and yes the airport was a real nightmare,but the new part is now open but only for arrivals,we had to wait nearly 2 hours upon arrival and to be honest the bags from 2 different flights seemed to be mixed through each other which made things even worse.The return was just as bad waited about 40 mins outside although it is under a canopy then about 20 mins before we could check in and the departure lounge no room to swing a cat,but thankfully the air condioning was working! but dont let a couple of hors at the airport put you off it is a fabulous island,yammas! Mark
Sorry, I know there have been a lot of posts on Zakynthos airport, but I could do with some feedback.

I have read lots of bad reports on Zakynthos airport, and I want us to be well prepared for it :lol:

From experience, is Sunday the worst day at the airport? We will be arriving at 06.00hrs Sunday, and we are leaving Zakynthos at 06.50hrs the following fortnight, and just wondering if it's going to be crazy? Also, we are travelling independently, and therefore will not have a rep. to give us advice.

P.S. Will we have any trouble getting a taxi to our hotel at 06.00/06.30hrs ?
There is one way to beat the check in queues at Zante airport. We gave the transfer coach a miss & got a taxi to the airport early. That way we were first in the queue. The reps did ask us to go & queue outside when everyone else arrived but after politely declining!! :D we were "allowed" to keep our place in the queue.

Taxi cost next to nothing - we were based in Argassi.

If I went back I would get a taxi both ways due to the delays over luggage at arrivals - unless of course my cases were last!!

Hope this helps

Cheers
Steven.
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what Zante Airport is like? I'm heading out to Laganas on Sunday and have heard various different stories about it. Is the new terminal open for arrivals yet? Also do you have to wait long for baggage/checking in for return flight?

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.