Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Zakynthos [Zante]
392 Posts
new terminal is open for arrivals with apparently 2 carousels , departures still the same , best thing to do is to take water and something to eat with you and its not too bad just be prepared , your on yur way home anyway and i wouldnt let it put me off we`ve been 2 year in a row and are going back september so we`ve coped ok :D
We experienced it a couple of years ago. Don't rememeber it being too bad on way in to Zante but on the way out we were queuing outside of the airport in the soaring heat which was really uncomfortable. We must have queued for a good hour at least.

Just be prepared for a wait and take plenty of water and try to stay out of the sun as much as you can. They do have covered areas to stand in but these get really hot.

If there is now a second terminal this should alleviate the problem (hopefully).
theres sun shelters outside the aiprort now , so you dont have to stand in the sun , so its a lot better
It's a bit of a nighmare as it's so small. It really depends on how many flights are arriving at the same time as you. We flew out on a Sunday last year and we were about 2 and a half hours in the airport when we arrived and longer on the way back. Take some water and food and something to entertain yourselves. The duty free shop is quite small and you can only walk around it so often!
booking to go to zante next may/june with 2 x four year olds.

advice, hint's, tips etc on how to survive zante airport.

thanks

nemo
The new airport will be operating then,so no worries,Mark
The old one is not that bad, I`ve been to worse in my time. At least you have the freedom to sit out under the trees.
Yep, believe the new airport is now open for arrivals and the departures side is due to open very soon :fly
Just returned and new arrivals hall is finally open........only 10 years in the making :shock:
The departures is still the same old shack.......along with the never ending queues to enter and scan cases :roll: BUT the new one will be open according to the Zante press by the start of May 2006 :lol:
Hi is Zante Airport still as small or have they built onto it at all since 2001, that was when i was last there. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hi

Some info HERE

Pippy :D
Please refer to the existing topic on Zante Airport

I will lock this to save duplication

wizard
Got back on Sunday, arrival was superb in the new terminal, waited about ten to fifteen minutes for our bags then straight onto the bus.

Departures is very interesting, we arrived about three hours before our flight and were put in a queue under one of the canopies, it took about an hour and a half to check in but at least we were in the shade. There were six other flights checking in at the same time, and I think bearing in mind the terminal wasnt built for that many, the reps did a brilliant job of getting us in with the minimum fuss.

The departure lounge was packed, but if you just sat and chilled and read a book, it wasnt too bad, some people were getting hot and bothered and moaning but if theyd chilled out a bit they would have been ok.

We had an idea what it was like so took sandwiches and plenty of water and a couple of sliced peaches to keep us going.
Well I'm glad to hear that Zante Airport has improved - Upon arrival at Zante back in May I was completely bewildered by the luggage reclaim fiasco - 2 UK flights on the one baggage carousel (which was only one sided) - it must have been at least 7 deep of people struggling to collect their bags.

Upon departure from Zante, apart from the strange queuing system that the tour operators had organised outside the airport, I was shocked at how packed it was. There didnt seem to be any real order once through security - all departures were in the same lounge (if thats what you can call it) and when you have over 8 departing flights in the same small space its no joke! The stairs leading up to duty free were crammed with people sitting on the steps making it almost impossible to gain access - not an inch of floor space was to be had anywhere! Walking anywhere in this confined space was very difficult as people were sitting on the floor and it was a game of 'shall i tread on your toes before you tread on mine?'

Like I said, am so glad that Zante airport has improved - Zante is a beautiful island but I was seriously thinking of avoiding it due to the airport chaos.
I have visited Zakynthos loads of times but the airport chaos was a factor in not visiting for the last few years. Let's hope the new terminal operates smoothly and the holiday companies stop trying totreat their customers like cattle. I will watch future posts with interest and look forward to visiting again in the future.
the arrivals part of airport is open, 2 carousels but only one was in use when we arrived and there were 2 flights in together, it stopped a couple of times as well!! about an hour to get luggage but no queues at passport control

leaving zante is another story as bad as all other members have written with 3 flights waiting to board, the space in the departure lounge is just not big enough, no air con just flies everywhere not nice and really not nice to pay 4 euros for a coffee in a plastic cup!!! i know i should have taken my own drinks!!!!
We have just got back from Zante, after reading about the airport we were dreading it, but we found it wasn't as bad as we had heard, arrivals has been moved to a new building and I think we only waited aboout 25 minutes for our cases. Departures wasn't as good but we were only queueing outside under the canopys for about an hour and we did take water and some snacks to keep us going. in the departure lounge we did manage to get a seat although it was very crowded after we got them and people were sitting on the floor. It was diffinately worth going to Zante and we would go again. :lol:
Hi we are just back from our first visit to Zakynthos, and were dreading the airport, as I had read many bad reports :oops: We were very surprised however, that we didn't experience any problems at all. There is a new arrivals terminal, which was very clean, and we only waited 10 mins for our luggage. We didn't have any problems with the departure either, yes you do have to que up outside the terminal, as they only let in 10 or so at a time, but this wasn't a problem for us (we were last in the Q). Check in was quick, and I spent a half hour looking around the duty free. Now, our flights arrived at 06.30hrs and departed at 07.00hrs, and maybe during mid-day things might be different, but there were plenty of flights leaving in and around our time so it wasn't as if it was extremely quiet. I certainly wouldn't let the airport put me off visiting Zakynthos. It's a lovely island.
hi
came back from ZANTE 2-3 weeks ago and was appalled by the airport. When we arrived it took over an hour to get our cases!
After going here 4 years aso- expected improvents to be made...but no such luck! Spent 40 minutes queuing outside with four kids at half three in the morning- they were not at all happy. When we eventually did check in we all spent another 65 mins crammed in the tiny airport terminal waiting to depart! Dont think i would go to Zante again after this!!
Nightmare

Maria
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.