Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Zakynthos [Zante]
392 Posts
Went to Zante ( Alikanas ) 4 years ago and thought it was the most un greek island we have been. The Airport was bad then, but with so many Brits going there now as an alternative to Ayia Napia and Kavos, maybe it's time to invest more money in the Airport structure. If this is done then even more lager louts will go there and not populate the other more traditional Islands.
Anyone going to Zante, can you give an update on the Airport situation for the benefit of those who will follow you later in the season please.
My memories of the airport at Zante are awful! We were last there in 2001 and the queueing/waiting for everything was absolutely terrible. I am hoping things might have progressed by now. Myself and 3 friends plus two of my sisters are going soon,so I have prepared myself. Mind you I'm determined we'll have a good time anyway,in spite of past experiences of the airport! It's the first time I've been abroad without my husband for about 20 years!! so that will be a novelty. :lol:
I think the key to Zante airport is being prepared. If you've heard how bad the Airport is and you still want to visit then make sure you prepared for worst. We've been three times and never had any major problems with the Airport. We all know a few facts;

A) You may have to que outside in high temps - Take water, hats and sun creams.

B) The food inside is dire and very expensive. - Take something to eat and drink with you or wait till you board the plane.

C) Its very small and you may not get a seat - Take a towel in your hand luggage and sit on it if all else fails.

Other than be prepared theres not a lot you can do about it. It wouldn't stop being visiting Zante, its just a small fly in the ointment.

Sarah
I keep seeing zante airport mentioned in various posts and i'm sure i noticed a thread dedicated to it (which i thought is should have a look at but which i now cant find!!)

What is so terrible about the airport please? :D
The Aiport is very small, its a small island airport, that is too busy for the facilities it offers. Although it now has a new arrivals hall from what I've read.

When you arrive at the airport for your return flight the odds are you'll have to que up outside to check in as there are only two or three check in desks. There are some canopies providing some shade, the advice is you need to take sun screen, water and something to eat with you and sun hats for the kids if you are checking in whilst the sun is up.

Don't buy food at the airport it is awful and very very expensive.

Be prepared, but the island more than makes up for the airport.

Heres a link to the topic you mentioned Zante Airport
Hi Plumbblonde ! The arrivals hall and baggage reclaim at the airport isn't too bad, a bit slow but ok. When you leave as has been said you'll probably have to queue outside. If your flight is during the day put on a hat and sunscreen and pack some bottled water and a sandwich in your hand luggage, and just generally be prepared (in case your flight is delayed) Don't stress about it. The Greeks are laid back people at the best of times and the airport is just the same.The airport is old and as tourism is expanding rapidly on the island the demands are increasing. Forget about the airport and concentrate on having a wonderful time. I've been to the island 3 times and you won't find many nicer places or people.
thank you both for you your help. Having got over my worries about the earthquakes i suddenly found a new thing to worry about........THE AIRPORT!!! feel better now Thanks :D :D :D
:) we had no problem with the airport got threw straight away there and back. we had no bad story to tell. also we found the airport staff very helpfull 8)
yea the airport is small and u have to queue outside and wait but its under shelter and is quick. it is a very small airport and once you go through there a few shops but the time goes so quickly.
xxxx
to be quite honest a few of the greek islands are the same, i remember queuing up outside at Heraklion (Crete) and Rhodes airport. Only gets to you if you let it :D
I always think the suffering the airport is worth it for the beautiful Greek islands and people. 6 sleeps :hyper
(sorry Wizard, exicted admin :D)
:offtop Sarah

who said you can have a holiday and in Kos too :lol:

I have made my comments on the airport, but i must add i find it no worse than many of the smaller seasonal regional LANDING strips around the med

Brian
who said you can have a holiday and in Kos too

:rofl :rofl

Zante Wizard Zante.

Sarah
hi ZAKINTHOS sorry i was reading the kos airport thread as well any way im entitled to a sinior moment once in a blue moon ( or another large Malt) :kiss :glynis
Stick to the malt ;)
Sarah
if your buying a 25 year old Glen Garhoch (when i can afford it) is my tipple of choice :omg
just returned from zante this morning and had to spend a delay in the airport,it was the longest 4 hours of my life!!!!
you que outside to be allowed into the airport where you wil find 5 small chek in desks trying to chek in 8 different flights...!
would really recomend plenty of water is taken and do not drink the night bwefore,nothing worst than having a hangover,trying to keep the kids quiets and bein in th sun not being abele to sunbathe xx
I agree it must be a nightmare if you get a delay, it isn't pleasent under normal circumstances.

We were in the departure lounge when a few other flights were delayed (even though ours wasn't), the lounge was bursting at the seams. My lad found a shelf got up and went to sleep on it!

Sarah
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.