Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Zakynthos [Zante]
392 Posts
HI There

I had a 15 hour delay in zante last year with thomas cook we had to stop overnight in Argassi, leaving our suitcases in the airport overnight, other people have had a go at me for complaining about Tsilivi and the airport,We stayed in the phoenix beach hotel last september in tisilivi which was good but the beach was awful and the airport is shocking. I found Lagana beach much better
Read quite a bit on how bad Zante airport has been, but understand a new terminal opened last year for arrivals. Just wondering what departures is like.

We are going in May, return flight at 14:30 on a Sunday afternoon. Not with a tour company, booked it all seperatly ourselves, any ideas if we need to get there super early

Steve
Hi Steve,
We travelled to Zante last year independently, arrivals was fine waited about 45mins for baggage (arr 1400hrs). Returned the Sunday after the London terroist threats, got to the airport 3 hours before went through all the queue's (worst part in the departure lounge - 1 huge room, very crowded), a small sacrifice for a brilliant holiday though. The refreshments are very, very expensive and depending on the situation regarding liquids this year could prove very expensive. Any other questions please ask.
Irene
all zakinthos airport threads now merged

wizard
Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what there is to visit/do on Zante? We have heard that if you have a car you can get the ferry to Kefalonia for the day fairly cheaply, so would anyone also know where is best to visit there and has anyone done this? We are in Zante for 2 weeks but have a car for 5 days so want to make the most of it!
Thanks!
xx
hi,
i just got back from a week in zante. me and my friend stayed in laganas and therewas loads to do. i would definitely recommend doing the turtle watching trip for 10 euros, it was amazing. and we also got a pedalo for 15 euros and saw a turtle that way, but the boat trip was well worth dooing. also we did the trip to the blue caves and the ship wreck which is a good day trip. the colour of the sea is gorgeous. they also stop on the way back at the caves so you can swim and they provide life jackets if you're not that confident a swimmer. you can also do a whole day trip round the entire island, which we did not do. it's pretty much the same as the shipwreck trip but twice as long, and it gets soo hot on the boat i don't think it would be enjoyable.

there's loads to do in zante. i would advise checking ou the local trip organisers rather than go with tour operator as they will charge you extra.
havea great time.
Hi Becki
Zakynthos town is nice for a visit. The beaches are good on the Vassilikos peninsula. Down Under bar in Kalamaki is great. There is a good website with loads of reviews at http://www.justzante.co.uk/
Have a great time.
Cheers, Jean
Thanks for the replies!!
Yvonnehamer, we are really interested in doing the boat trips, but do you have to get off the boat and swim or can you sit that out?!

Thanks

Becki
Go to smugglers cove but make sure it's a calm day. It's a beautiful spot.
Usual long, drawnout procedure.
2 baggage checks- check-in- and long queue for passport control.
The story I am told is that the departure terminal has been ready, kitted out, and just been waiting for us lucky people for 2 years now !! it could open to-morrow, IF, somebody could persuade Olympic to finish paying for arrivals, and start paying for the new place. Some hope. I expect a lot of people's holidays are ruined because of this situation.

Ian P. :x :evil: :evil: :evil:
I'm quite prepared to put up with the not so great airport just to visit this beautiful island. For me it's like a little piece of heaven. :D
My husband and I have been to Zante twice and will probably go back again in two years time, we love it and wouldn't let the airport put us off going. Although it would be nice if they did open the new departures
Worst airport in my opinion we had a 8 hour dealy..so got rather paked..just go there redi and prepared with water etc..!
Can anyone give me any advice? We are planning to get married next June in Zante and have been offered Iberostar Plagos Beach in Tragaki,nr. Tsilivi by the tour operator,with the option of having the ceremony in the grounds of Bardiola of Kypseli.Has anyone got any info good or bad before I go ahead and book it?........Pleeeeeeese! :?
We depart for Tsilivi this Sunday (29 July) and our niece gets married there the following Friday. I don't know exactly where the ceremony is taking place, but the reception afterwards is at the Alexandra Beach Hotel.

If you can wait until I return (Sunday 12 August) I will let you know if I can recommend it.

Kathy
It's not the best airport in the world by any means, but it certainly doesn't ruin the holiday and would not stop us going to Zante at all!
Off to Zante for the 5th time, airport is quite bad, but its worth it to get to Zante.

We have the new arrivals hall now, aircon and more than one belt, luxury!!

I have heard a rumour that the goverment won't part with any cast to finish the new departure lounge at the moment. Its almost completed.

Sarah
I expect a lot of people's holidays are ruined because of this situation.

It's sad if something as trivial as the that ruins a holiday :no the airport in Zakynthos certainly isn't the worst in Greece and the island more than makes up for it with it's friendly people and beautiful scenery.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.