Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
We're going on the 5th as well, likewise with 3 young kids. First of me hearing about it.
I hope not, I've got a history of getting caught with strikes at airports when i'm there. In 2001 we got caught in Lanzarote when their baggage handlers went on strike. We had to load the baggage ourselves if we wanted to fly home, me and my mate were the two in the luggage hold loading the whole plane with other men on the flight lifting the bags up to us. Bet you wouldnt get to do that nowadays!!! :really
Will try find out more about this situation.
It looks like Baggage Handlers,Drivers et al may be taking strike action tomorrow (28th June) with future strikes planned.

Here's the link to the original article (if the link is allowed ?????)

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.2367033.0.Chaos_looms_as_Spanish_airports_to_strike.php

John
Thanks, john and Robo. I wonder what they mean when they say "half of all flights"! Hopefully, ours won't be amongst them.
I'm raging I didn't book Italy where I originally wanted to go, but hubby didn't want to go there. Of all the places I then had to book!
Anyway, i suppose all we can do is play it by ear.
Robo, i guess that incident at Lanzarote happened prior to Sep 11Th!
Yup...Security was certainly not an issue that day, passengers were walking round the planes with their luggage on the runway trying to find which one was their plane! Unbelievable I know but true.

On the majorca bulletin link, it says the strike is just for the 2 hours a day I think. 1.30pm-3.30pm. Not quite as bad as 24 hour according to herald.

Like you say we just have to hope we arent effected to badly.
I hope it doesn't affect too many people. Mind you, the length of time you have to wait for bags at the airport in Palma is pretty bad anyway, so maybe we won't notice much difference! :)
Maybe we should put all our belongings in cabin size luggage and bring them all on the cabin with us??? Bit of a nightmare to carry around the airport though!
That's looking positive about the times, as our flight leaves 7 am that morning.
does anyone have anymore info on the strike has it went ahead as planned ornhave they resolved it what flights are effected we fly out on the 12th july so we hope its sorted out by then
HYC, according to this there was no disruption to flights leaving Dublin Airport today, and it appears to be more or less resolved. Fingers crossed!
  • Edited by luci HT Mod 2008-06-28 18:39:07
    To fix broken link
hopefully it is resolved we dont want our holidays messed up we all wait long enough to go on them without going to the airport and waiting even longer
we flew from palma airport yesterday and the strike did cause some delays,ours was one of these. We flew with futura it was a thomos cook holiday and we were delayed 4 hours. on the 5th of july the strike will go on all day,it was only 2 hours yesterday but still had a impact
Hi just wanderd if any one could tell me if the plans for strike action are still going ahead on the 5th July as i am flying from birmingham on at 6:20 am hope someone can help Kind Regards Paul.
Yup - any updates, as and when anyone hears anything, would be appreciated. :tup
Trev
We had a 7 hour delay yesterday in Palma Majorca. Our flight was meant 2 be @ 10:30pm but eventually got on the plane @ 5:30am this morning, so spent the night in the airport and am totally shattered. :(

They did give everyone a 12 euro food voucher though!!
Hi, we fly out 11th August hope it will be sorted by then, but read in the paper yesterday it might not be. Anyway, we won't let it spoil our holidays.
Can anyone confirm that these strikes are only at weekends? Or are they weekdays as well?
I am flying out on wednesday july 9th.
oh god dam it! fly out from stanstead at 2pm this saturday, the workers better not spoil my holiday?

So what are they striking for, money , hours, conditions???? They should have done better at school then! :duh
Cacking it meself Fil. Fly out at 07.40 Sat 5th July from Stansted.

I will load and unload the bags myself if it means getting there without too much hassle.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.