Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
Hi, my boyfriend and I are going to Barcelona for 3 nights in March staying at the Hotel 1898 which has fab reviews on Trip Advisor. What I am looking for are recommendations for restuarants not too far from the hotel if at all possible. I believe it is at the top of Las Ramblas not far fron Placa Catalunya. We are terrible for chosing restaurants and always end up in the expensive ones serving dodgy food and want to avoid that this time.

Thanks
You'll find a lot of expensive places around there.

Look a bit further down to the Gothic Quarter and Horta for some reasonably priced, and authentic, restuarants.
I always recommend Cafe D L'Academia as we had a fab meal there - http://www.frommers.com/destinations/barcelona/D44875.html
Book ahead if you can though.
Has anyone stayed at this hotel?
Cher
We are thinking about taking our 10 year old son with us for a short break and thought Barcelona would be ideal, however I am not sure which part would be most suitable to stay in, particularly regarding night-time? and also where would we be allowed to take him at night? help??
cheers, paulo
Paulo, you might find this useful, it's a list of good things for the kids to do - http://www.frommers.com/destinations/barcelona/0045020599.html

We stayed on the Avda Parallel a few mins from Las Ramblas but I wouldn't say this would be a suitable area for children. Maybe somewhere around the squares in the Gothic Quarter instead? That way he could run around a bit while you enjoy a drink or two.
Hi,
Just back from a short trip to Barcelona. We stayed at the Hotel Amrey Diagonal which was excellent. It is about a five minute walk to the Glories subway station, and from there about 5 minutes into the Placa Catalunya on the L 1 line. The underground system is great, big, modern, clean, and very good value for money, unlike the London Tube, or our own dear Clockwork Orange in Glasgow. Just across the road from the hotel is the Glories shoping centre, with over 200 shops, and some nice eating places as well. We also came across a buffet restaurant called Fresc Co, one just along from our hotel, and one just off the Placa Catalunya. You pay €8.50 and you can stuff your face with pizza, pasta, soups, salads, all freshly made, and very tasty too. I think going slightly out of season is the best time to go, very busy as it was, as I dread to think what the city will be like in the height of summer. All in all a great trip. :D
We are just back from Barcelona, had a great hotel Hotel Regente, lovely rooftop terrace which we needed after a long walk through Barcelona. I am sorry to say that our holiday was destroyed after my boyfriend had his rucksack stolen at the Magic fountain. The fountain was not on as there is a lot of work going on around there, we sat we thought at a very quiet part no people around, a barrier to our side because of the work being done, John put sun tan lotion on my shoulder and he then noticed that his rucksack was gone, still do not know how they did it, no sign of anyone about before or after, John can usually hear the grass grow but at this time nothing. He losted his passport, credit cards, clothes, denim jacket, the police could not speak english (about 8 of them at the station) sent to another police station which was full of people filling in forms. We were told by the man at the card protection place the he would never go to Barcelona as over 50% of their calls come form Barcelona.

It is a shame, it is a beautiful city and we thought we were street wise but they were better than us. The hotel manager bought us a drink and gave John a bottle of Cava.

Linda
Hey guys, im heading off to Barcelona next Monday for a short break with my friend. We are trying to figure out the best way to get to Las Ramblas in the city center??we arrive into barcelona airport at 5pm. Thanks.
Errrr! Just head for the City Centre? You can't miss it :lol:

Get an airport bus to Placa Da Cataluna and then when you arrive, get off, look to your right and you'll see the Ramblas going downhill.
In Barcelona......
Can someone tell me is the Happy Bar and Grille close to the hotel Continental Palacete
Off to Barcelona this weekend - will it be warm enough for shorts/three quarter lengths/flipflops? Do I need a lightweight jacket or something warmer? Shall I pack my sandals for the evening or stick with my boots? I have looked at the forecast (19/21 degrees and cloudy) but still not sure what to pack ... :roll:

Thanks for any help.
About to book weekend break for end of Jan start of Feb and was wondering about weather. Obviously with global warming etc everything is messed up, but can anyone let me know whatthe weather was like when they were there in Jan/feb.
I have googled the weather for Barca and expect to fine temps of 10 - 12 C and take chance with rain, although sunny weather is not unusual.
Or would it be better to wrap up real warm and head for Prague or Budapest?

Any info appreciated

Anybody out there :lol:
got a surprise romantic trip booked for new year get away in barcelona, staying at nh numancia hotel. can anyone shed some light on if its nice or not, i hear its been renovated recently. also i need a really nice place to dine. thanx
D-Ramsay,

Reviews for your hotel here - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187497-d206930-Reviews-NH_Numancia-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

As for food, I always recommend Cafe D L'Academia as we had a fab meal there - http://www.frommers.com/destinations/barcelona/D44875.html
Book ahead if you can though.

Hope that helps.
Were considering a break in February to Barcelona. Can anyone please tell me how far from the airport to say La Ramblas area. How often the buses from the airport run too, and price.Any recommendations of small hotels central. Thanks
Hi Bejay. Look seven posts above yours. :?
It's around 7 miles from the city and only cost a few euros. Coaches leave every twenty minutes.
Thanks Harriers, found Aerobus info, usually go to Palma but flights gone from our local airport. Have you stayed in Barcelona, now looking for a central reasonable priced hotel and B for 4 nights. Near to a Ramblas
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.