Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
great idea ! only meals out ??

to start with, every meal I've had at Noel and Sandra's Mgarr Ix-Xini, Gozo has been wonderful
Hi there.We have had some really good meals out in Malta, usually at a 'local' Maltese restaurant. The best and most memorable was a maltese family BBQ on thier roof. It was the first time that i (unknowingly) ate horse meat. It was the best steak ever!. The BBq'ed meats kept coming all night with plenty of salads etc. The sweets were all home made by the family and were 'to die for'. And the company was wonderfull. It lasted for hours and we watched the fireworks over Mosta from the roof. The funniest thing that I remember was the noise!!! have you ever been in the company of 30 maltese people?? It went from LOUD chatter to absolute silence when the first lot of food was put on the table.
yep alot of Maltese seem to only have two volume settings !
Sliema2,

How do you start to even try to reply to this? I've had so many magnificent meals (writing a book comes to mind!) - I've lost count! Unlike you I've got a poor memory for restaurant names and ought to write details down each time.

Surely a better question to pose is 'what was your worst meal in Malta?' but even then I'd be at a loss to complain about our exeriences.

One of my favourites has to be Il Gurna at Sannat in Ghawdex. Wow this place is a gem and just the ticket for any gourmet diner. However, last time I was there, there was a very loud gentleman at the bar with an American accent. I asked him politely if he was an American? He replied rather scathingly - "Son, I've been an American for 65 years". At that I asked him "What were you then for the other 20 years?" He was gobsmacked and simply replied "Oh my god!" :omg We left pretty quick!

As Sliema2 knows we also like D'Office in Valletta. Last time we were there they had just had a delivery of fresh shellfish. We ordered 'the works' - not a cheap meal but absolutely delicious washed down with a couple of bottles of Maltese wine and ice cold Kinnie. This restaurant has the perfect Maltese atmosphere, serves excellent authentic Maltese fayre and the very pleasant Maltese lady who runs this establishment will do all she can to cater for your culinary needs!

Can't forget the magnificent Il Merrill in Sliema. Go there for a real Maltese meal with excellent host and first class atmosphere and you will definitely want to go back for more. Just one problem - make sure you book in advance because this restaurant is very popular not only with tourists but also with locals.

I could go on and on, but you know Sliema2 I'm glad to say that I just cannot pick out my best ever meal or restaurant!

Trev
"One of my favourites has to be Il Gurna at Sannat in Ghawdex. Wow this place is a gem and just the ticket for any gourmet diner. However, last time I was there, there was a very loud gentleman at the bar with an American accent. I asked him politely if he was an American? He replied rather scathingly - "Son, I've been an American for 65 years". At that I asked him "What were you then for the other 20 years?" He was gobsmacked and simply replied "Oh my god!" We left pretty quick! "

Trev - the guy's name is Dennis, and you are spot on with your comments on him and the restaurant, with one small error - its called Il Girna (a girna is one of these http://www.maltavista.net/en/list/photo/843.html )
Mark,

Thanks for the info. Please show Dennis this posting and tell him we I hope there's no hard feelings, in fact next time we're in the Il Girna,(sorry about the spelling error!), if he's there, I'll gladly buy him a drink!

Trev
don't... he drinks enough as it is :D
Hi Mark & Trev

It sounds as if everyone else knows he's there - it must put people off their food.

Jean
Hi Mark,

:shock: .....got ya!

Trev
Best meal eh! I've had lots of them but the Arches and Half Way inn, Mellieha are my favorites. I'll be dining in these two places later this week. :P
The best meals I've had were at Terrazza, at Spinola Bay (clos to St, Julian's). They have a speciality duck dish which is great, and so is the stuffed chicken. Refined and delicious food at very reasonable prices. Great scenery too.
Thank you to everyone who has responded so far, I apologise for not replying or taking part but Virgin media (grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) have left me without any internet connection since last Thursday and to add insult to injury I have been laid low with a virus that has left me feeling rather ghastly for days now, so thanks once again and apologies for not continuing this thread.

Best Wishes
Sliema2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.