General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
I have had a couple of these calls - didn't think to check the number - just told them that I knew I didn't have a problem and then hung up.

Thanks, Glynis, for highlighting this.
I'd read about this sc$m posing as being from Microsoft and saying you have a virus, I had one of these calls months ago and so I just hung up as soon as he said 'are you in front of your computer madam'.

They must be doing the rounds again, because yesterday afternoon around 4pm we got another call from them - only this time my hubby answered the phone and he told the 'asian' guy to foxtrot oscar off, before he had chance to finish the first sentence.

Also, I don't know what this is about because I didn't give them chance, but we had a call on Sunday night around 9 pm to do some survey.
After reading the link provided by Glynis, it seems it's a 'British Saver Survey'

I don't 'do' surveys with anybody, and who the chuff does surveys at 9 pm on a Sunday night in this country?
The muppets need to check the different time zones. :D

Sanji
:tup @ Sanji

I've put this on my FB and nephews wife just replied saying she got one yesterday telling her she had a problem with her computer! She said how do you know it's not on? He said if you go and put it on I'll tell you what to do next :rofl she said you must be joking and hung up. Lo and behold she was at her mums today and SAME call came through there! Yes they're obviously doing the rounds BIG TIME at the moment!
You're not going to believe this...
I've just had a call from some asian guy wanting to ask a few questions that will not take up too much time for the 'UK Research Centre' , and saying it's all in accordance with the data protection act, etc.

First he knew my postode, my surname and my OH's christian name, so then he asked me for my christian name... so I said that if he knew my husbands name, he should also know mine - then he asked again for my christian name and I refused, so he asked if he could just have my initial, again I refused.
So he said....
In that case, go to bed and go to sleep.
I hit 1471, and the number is 044123456789

Sanji
:yikes bloody aida Sanji!

:duh I HAVE to keep telling OH to PUT THE PHONE down. He does insist on blooming TALKING to them! :rofl
I've had 2 missed calls on the home phone the past 2 days from the number 0101803. I googled it and apparently it's from a company wanting to help me claim PPI. Seeing as I've never had PPI in my life there's no chance. Even if I had had, I'm quite capable of claiming myself.

I use the site Glynis linked to every time I get a number I don't recognise.
I posted about these in the computer section a couple of years ago I get the calls regular. They always tell me that I have submitted an error message (sometimes I may have done) so I am wodering if some how they can access these error messages, maybe not on Microsfts security priority list as there reply is always automated and tells you to run scans etc.
My husband had a call a few weeks ago from someone who said he was from Microsoft and that we had a virus on our PC.
He just said there were no computers at this address and they havent rang again. :tup
Good response jean :tup think that is what I will say when they inevitably get around to ringing us.
That number -044123456789 - seems to be responsible for a variety of sc$ms, from surveys, viruses on computers and trying to obtain card details.

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/044123456789

We've decided tonight that we're not going to answer the phone, we're going to let the answering machine kick in and hear the start of any messages before picking up the phone.

So, if anybody calls me, don't hang up if the answering machine kicks in - speak to me. :rofl

It's annoying when you're ex-directory and signed up to the TPS , although I think TPS only covers the UK - I think they have to be using the electoral roll to get all those details or somebody has sold the details on.
Either way, they are a blinkin nusiance!

Sanji
I told one of them the other day that he needed to stay on the phone for 2 minutes to allow my virus to upload to HIS computer - he called me a f*@? a)(( - and rang off!
In the past I have tried to drag out the conversation with a woman from one of these "organisations" - she realised that I was playing her and told me that she was going to phone me every hour,every day ! Never happened!
Warning long story . Not sure who i've already told about this but over 2/3 years my brother had been victim to lot's of fraud on his bank card going back some time. I eventually got out of him that he had given his card details over the phone for a TPS service !!.. clearly not bona fide as we all know it's a free service . That resulted in 4 blocked cards , hundreds ..going into thousands wittled away from his bank account over a couple of years. Barclays fraud dept were useless ,They were never interested in investigating .. bigger fish to fry & all they ever did was block cards . I was told later that if these card details get logged as subscrpitions they never need the card details again so doesnt matter how many blocked cards you go through.

Eventually no choice but to shut his account down completely and start again . Over time they have tried every trick in the book to get his new card number . I even took a phone call from them whilst I was there, clearly from overseas and definately not professional by the abuse he gave me .. He got plenty back I can assure you .

A couple of months ago now the latest bite at the cherry was for a solicitor phoning saying this company were taking him to court for 2K and a date of 3 days time . Despite knowing in the back of my mind this wasnt right I phoned them back .. where were the court doc's , court reference number please, original contract etc ! googled them , they existed but I couldnt understand a word the guy said . I was thinking once again this guy is not bona fide , he told me I had insulted him twice by saying I couldnt understand him bla bla . Despite this I went on to waste a whole day checking local courts just in case they had filed a claim against him .. my thinking was if they had and my brother didnt turn up this bunch of weesels would earn themselves 2K of his money.

Later the same afternoon he got a call from somebody claiming to be from the court and to check he would be appearing on the Fri, again I rang them back and they claimed to be "the court of London" . Erm what area of london I said, did he think I was that stupid .. Petty France he said . Thank you and down went the phone .. once again I googled them and yes they existed but certainly not at the telephone no he had given me and nor was the one for the solictors which I thought I had already checked..

Next would of been a call the following day after he was so frightened no doubt with an offer for out of court settlement with his card details.The phone rang several times but I made sure he didnt answer this time.

So there you go I was half fooled myself by this particularly scam!!
Sounds like a sophisticated s c a m then Lyn. I think I would have been tempted to tell them that I was recording all their phone conversations so that I could use them when I went to court to show they had used threatening and initiating behaviour.

xxxx
Hi like sanji I always let the answer machine kickin family and friends know this and anyone we deal with so if they ring off we know it wasnt urgent!!!
Margaret(madmum) :tup
Oh they will be back again chris and next time I will certainly do that . Problem is I'm not a particularly quick thinker in these situations and of course I thought of many things I should of said later. I'l certainly be ready next time .
Just tell them you have a MAC and then ask why their sophisticated equipment didn't pick up that important piece of information. :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.