UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Here's one for people to answer

Going down, as we do, during the week in late September, it can be very quiet Mon - Fri. Now, i like it that way (nae neds, nae hen parties, etc!) However, it can be very hard to find somewhere nice at night to sit and have a wee drink, maybe a place with a wee bit entertainment, a singer, etc

Anyone recommend somewhere nice? Most places seem to be shut really early during the week
Thanks everyone for the replies :tup Had a great weekend in Blackpool
I think the New Boston Hotel is outside Blackpool, in Fleetwood or Cleveleys I think.
I googled the Boston Hotel but no web address was there :que
BBN have a great weekend in Blackpool, and maybe see you in Goa next season :tup
Hope you have a brilliant time in Blackpool Cidermonster. And yes the wee avator is stil in use and I love it - thanks again! :D
Cidermonster - you could try the Norbeck Castle hotel - it's a little way outside the main tourist bit, but is quite pleasant for a drink, and they usually have entertainment...
Cheers mate, might give it a go. I'm familiar with the area, in fact i have a relation who lives right behind it!
Hi Cidermonster,
Don't know your age group or what kind of music you like, but assuming there are no children and you are not teens or twenties (even 30's) I don't think you can beat the Working Men's Clubs for entertainment. We were in Blackpool last weekend and had two good nights at the Philharmonic Club. Singer. Comedian and then Singer again.
The only thing that spoils it for me is the Bingo. I would rather watch paint dry!!!!, but at least it is short lived and I know the clubs have to get funds from somewhere. Cost isn't a factor with me if I want a good night out, but at £2 visitors entrance and drinks less than half the price of pubs, the clubs are good value for money. Other clubs recommended are the Bloomfield Club and the Duple Club. Don't like the stairs at the Duple but some good acts.
Have stayed at the Norbreck (NEVER AGAIN) Only entertainment was a Quiz. I love a good pub quiz with a mix of general knowledge, sport, entertainment etc. but almost every question was about current chart singles or latest movie releases. Not for me. During the day found a new (?) attraction. Think it was called the Solaris.
Hi Helenc

No kids, mid thirties, and i'm not averse to a good social club. Only problem is that i'm down Mon-Fri, not sure how much will be on midweek
No 1 Club is also very good and completely modernised. Think they have stuff on a lot of the nights :)
We've just got back from a 3 nighter in Blackpool and found it great. Try the Legends Shows at the Tower or Central Pier - Brilliant! We also saw The Bachelors who struggle on to the stage nowadays - the zimmer frames were the main problem, but Craig Douglas brought the house down, and he's even older!

Good entertainment on a budget and the fact that I saved £200 in £2 coins since Christmas paid for most of it!

:tup :tup
Hi Cidermonster,
You may be right about a lot of clubs not having much on during the week. There is a small magazine which is on sale in the clubs detailing their entertainment but it comes out monthly (the Seasider) so not much good for September. The edition I have was for April and it seems the Bloomfield Club has acts every night except Mondays. Most of the other clubs seem to have acts only on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. On the cover it says to get a copy , Telephone 01253 595258. I think it costs 50p so it may be worthwhile getting one before you go in September. It is not available on-line but you can get the Blackpool Gazette on-line and the What's On Tab gives details. Again not much good until just before you go. I think a Thursday may be the best day for entertainment coverage.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/

Hopefully you will get some more replies from people who know Blackpool much better than I do

Helen
Thanks Helenc, i might have my laptop with my anyway so that would be handy for searching before we go out :)

I know everything about Blackpool, except social clubs!! And with normal nightlife on the piers and seafront dipping, it would be nice to have something else available

Parky, i've always thought of going to Legends, but never been sure. Did you find it really good?

Hey Gemma, maybe i could go along to the football and shout at Charlie Adam in different colours for a change! :rofl
My wife loved it and has twisted my arm to go back again this month to watch the Central Pier show on the Tuesday and the Tower show on the Wednesday.

I did enjoy the first show which had Neil Diamond, Buddy Holly, Freddie Mercury and Diana Ross. The best bit was the bar is available all through the show and you can get up from your table between acts. It's not like the North Pier where you are sat in rows and tripping over feet if you need to go - essential at my age!

(Book on the internet, you can also phone Ticketmaster on 08701555595 and pick where you want to sit rather than where allocated.)

;) ;)
Was the legends show in the tower too?? Since when have they started doing that?
Just follow this link to the Legends Rock Royalty show for the Tower. I think this is the first year it's on, possibly second, but it's our first time. Up to last year, my wife had never been to Blackpool and stayed. This year, because there's no sunshine holiday, I can't bloody keep her away!

I'll have to take her to Oz AND Turkey next year. Roll on retirement! (347 days and not counting!)

Parky ;) :tup
Cheers Parky, had a quick look at the Tower website last night. Certainly a new one on me, as we went to the tower last year on a wednesday night, because they used to have a decent 'Big Band' night on, and we used to just get a reduced night ticket as we had no interest in the circus, but loved going to the top of the tower. Shame the big band nights have gone, but that might be one to tempt me this year .. how long did the show last?
Sorry, can't help you there - we aint not been - yet! If it's like the pier, it should last about 2 1/2 hours and finish about 10.00pm.
And I thought Elvis was dead! Doh.
I hear Michael Jackson will be performing as Diana Ross as well. :que :que
Thing is, we never really went to anything else in the tower bar the tower top ride, then a few drinks in the ballroom. I don't really want to spend a whole day in there, but if just go for the show i'll miss out on my tower top ride

how come things always get worse instead of better! :(
I haven't been in the Tower for 50+years, so have no idea why it shold get worse! The last time I was there, Reg Dixon was on the organ :think .

I can't recall who was on any of the piers but it may have been David Whitfield - anyone remember that name then?
I guess what i mean is that previously anything that was in the ballroom was part of your admission ... now that isn't the case. They've basically 'pimped' out the ballroom as another venue for shows and whilst it may well be a good show, i'm not sure it's great for the public who pay to go into the tower, then have to pay again if they want in to the ballroom

what was wrong with Legends remaining on the Pier for two nights a week as it always has been? :que
Cidermonster, make sure you shout out that Charlie's to stay down there :really dont want him back up in the team :whoops
Enjoy your wee break :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.