Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
boogie boards
8 Posts
You can buy them in Mapsua
I was wondering about boogie boarding myself (wasn't sure if the waves would be suitable for it in Goa). Anyway, I found this on the web and I'm tempted to buy one..costs 40 pounds but it looks great..

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/search.do?productCode=S3SURF#

Cheers

Neil
I honestly think that you dont get the right sort of waves to use one of them.I have seen people using the polystyrene type float boards and giving up easily - a very unpredictable sea with very strong undercurrents,so be carefull !!!
By son and gradson stay in Australia and I've tried my hand at it at most of the big Sydney surf beaches like bondi,manley and coogie, and whilst the Goan surf is not much good for the serious surfing you get a good enough surf to have fun with a boogie board Alan
You can get them at Mapusa by the market - cheap, cheap.

The beaches further North (not very far though): Vagator; Morjim; Ashvem etc are much better for Boogie Boards as the waves form and break further out to sea so you get a longer, safer, ride but the currents are still quite strong.

At Candolim the waves break right on the shore line and all you're likely to get is pounded into the sand, which feels surprising solid when you hit it. As you might be able to tell, I speak from experience - I now know what cement in a mixer feels like just before its poured.

There's nothing quite so good at getting the adrenaline running as that moment when you realise that you're not quite going to be able to get back on the beach before the next wave hits; that brief moment of doubt as to whether you should keep running for the beach or turn and run back out to sea to try to swim under the wave before it wipes you out.
Thanks for the info re Mapsa, Fritz, also about the waves up north. I know what you meen about being buried We use Johneys shack at the Golden Heritage and he has a couple of very heavy boards, a bit bigger than the usual ones, during our stay last Feb. a couple friends came out for a couple of weeks. I was teaching one of them how to surf on the heavy boards but on her first attempt it went wrong, she was dumped, got a black eye, her top torn off and a skinned nipple!! All my offers to kiss it better were rebuffed(by both her and my wife) It didnt put her off however and that was the only mishap durig the holiday Alan
Little Vagator can have some decent waves on its day and I found it to be pretty safe to swim, however, it would depend on the time of year as to the swells I should imagine, so take some local advice first.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.