General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I think it's pretty much normal in many European countries for a double room to be a twin, especially Spain. I don't think in the 40 plus years I have visited Spain I have been provided with a double bed (even on my honeymoon) on many occasions, unless I was staying in an apartment.

A double room doesn't neccessarily mean a double bed but a room with bed/beds for two people. It's unfortunate that your wife found it uncomfortable sleeping with your baby but as a cot was provided I can't see that you have a complaint.

edited to say ,maybe on any future visits, you could ask if the room contains a double or twin on booking and request a double if this isn't the case.
That's pretty much my experience too and one reason for it is that tourist hotels like the flexibility of rooms with twin beds because it makes it easier to let the rooms to two friends who are happy to share a room but might not want to share a bed. If a double bed is important then you really do need to specifically ask if there is one in the room.

SM
yep that's fairly common around the Med not only in basic accommodation but some better hotels as well
It might be common having 2 single beds in a double room and I'll agree it is the norm for the majority of hotels and rooms - but there are hotels in Spain who do have double beds and queen/king sized beds available.
It depends on which hotel and which 'grade' of room you've booked, and as there are usually not many rooms with this type of bed, they will be limited - it's as simple as that.
My oldest lad spent his honeymoon in a hotel in Tenerife.They requested and had a double bed.
We did complain at the hotel and ask for either a double bed to be moved into the room or moved to a room with a double bed but was told they classed a Double Basic as a basic room with 2 twin beds and if I wanted a room with a double bed I would need to upgrade my room at an extra cost of 82 Euro for the duration which I declined.

So, they did have a room with a double bed and the extra cost would be an upgrade or for under occupancy - probably to a junior suite which may have contained a double bed and a single bed - which if you had booked this type of room, it would have cost you more than the standard twin/double room with 2 twin beds that you paid for.

Sanji
Thanks for the replys, it does then seem fairly common so I probably wont bother with the hassle of complaining but I am surprised as I have been holidaying for 20 years and any time I went with a mate I booked a twin and that's what I always got, since I got married, any holiday I have went with my wife I have booked a double room and got a double bed. I should also point out I stayed at this hotel last year and booked a double basic and got a double bed which made me even more surprised this time to have ended up with 2 singles.
The majority of hotels in Cyprus do have double bedded and twin bedded rooms so generally, you can put in a request if you have a preference.

However, as a rule of thumb it's always better to check either with the tour operator or directly with the hotel rather than assume there will be a double bed. In most European hotels a double or twin room (which is how most brochures describe them) will contain 2 twin beds.

In Cyprus, hotels do often provide the larger twin beds (usually 3'6" size so a little wider than a single size in UK) and in the case of a double bed, it will be a standard double.
I really dont think you have anything to complain about, you booked a double room, not double bed and the fact you misunderstood isnt really anyones fault.
As you said, you could push the beds together! You'll know to ask specifically next time ;-)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.