Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
border crossing
6 Posts
yes you can you will need to carry your passports, you will also need the permission of the car hire company and most likely aditional insurance, beware you dont try and bring back anthing that may be considderd contriband [ more than 40 fags for example]

cant help with your nearest crossing point

yasus
wizard
As I understand it moves are afoot to get a crossing place at Kato Pyrgos opened, but that is probably years off yet.

Astromeritis/Zodheia is probably the closest, accessed via Kykou Monastery on the E912 and E908.

Mark
We hired a car through an online company and they subcontract to the best they can get in the area (turned out to be sixt). The car insurance and going North was a bit complicated.....

(this will vary company to company, hirer to hirer etc)

First off the insurance covered it pretty well for the South (think there might have been excess to pay but not a lot if any) and we were given a number to ring in emergency and breakdown etc.
However there was an extra policy cover for the underside of the car, tires and glass (I think this was because people keep wrecking those parts driving up Troodos etc) although this only came to something like £17 for a week extra.....

We were also covered to go into the North but with a lot of difference !! - First of the cover dropped to third party only !! Secondly you had to arrange it with the crossing police? to get anything else you needed ! - and YOU are totally responsible for getting the car back from the North and into the South should anything happen to it (like a flat tire, breakdown or being clamped or impounded etc) so you would have to find an tow truck or something and get it taken from the North back into the South to a garage or where the hire company wanted it etc....

don't want to put you off but do want to make you aware of the problems before you make a choice etc...

Steve
Petsas arrange insurance for their hire cars so you can go 'up north'.

Mark
They certainly do, we have done this several times now. The insurance was fully comp but had a sizeable excess on it . Going again next month, hoping to use Petsas again and will be trying the route through Astromeritis and the Troodos for the first time.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.