General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Up to a few years back the first edition summer brochures for the following season never came out until late Aug/early September, ie towards the end of the current season, with the assumption being people would not want to book next years holiday before they had been on this years, I suppose. Perhaps they are going back to that arrangement.

They only started to do them earlier and earlier to prize peoples money out of them as soon as they could and once one company did it they all had to.

I would assume all the normal offers free child places, and early booking discounts will be avaible from the previews and first editions, regardless of what month the brochures are realeased, if that is what you are concerned about.

Doe :wave
Personnal myself I would like to go back to the september brochure's issued because then I can have this years holiday before I book next year but on the other hand if you book in april may you have longer to get the money together to pay the balance with.

If I go somewhere this year for the first time and seen another hotel I liked the look of for next year to the same destination I would have to book it before I have been on the first holiday to get a good price but then if I don't like the place and I will have to pay out more for a change holiday or lose deposit. Pit falls everywhere.

Tour ops rely on earling bookings to keep the stock markets happy and their share price up and that could of been the reason why they cut capacity to keep profits up and the stock market happy.
To answer your question Lindy. Although they are being advertised, no summer 2010 holidays (apart from Long Haul) are available to book at the moment. As to the date they will become available nobody's 100% certain. The To's and Ta's don't give a definite date but the general consensus seems to be July.
Direct Holidays are out in July, I got a card stating that so I would imagine all the other tour ops will launch in July as well.
I went to Thomson the other day and they said that the 2010 brochure was out on 22nd July 2009 and Thomas Cook said it was around the same time.
krh wrote:
I went to Thomson the other day and they said that the 2010 brochure was out on 22nd July 2009 and Thomas Cook said it was around the same time.

Thats no good for me, I work in the retail industry, and holidays are on a first come basis, and 3 colleague at a maxium allowed of at one time, and also I am away on holiday, so when i come back 28 July very possible the dates I want will have gone
Coming out so lat this year, the brochures are going to fly off the shelves. I always find it difficult to get hold of them when they 1st come out. It will be very interesting to see next year's prices as well!
Direct holidays have released prices for dominican reb for next year and the price up by £250 PP compared to booking the same hotel this september compared to next september, around a 30% increase.

If the prices are up by that much I will book late because I can't see the tour ops selling many holidays at sky high prices, I book early and did last year for this year. Take last years price increases and add them to a 30% increase we have a 50% rise and that doesn't take into account where holiday prices have rocked since xmas.
I've been googling for the best part of an hour to book for next year and all I'm getting is not available unless I want long haul. websites are saying brochures are not available till july!!!! This is not on for an OCD type person like me who just HAS to book in May, god, I've been doing it for years now, I'm freaking a bit. Our hols at work are first come first serveed, so I suppose I'll just have to book my regular weeks off and hope I can get something, same for hubby. :(
Same here Cazz - we always book next years hols before we've been on this one's. I suppose it does give us more time to do some research on here though.
We do at least have the long haul destinations to browse through . I've been looking at cuba . :) looks good and probably only a bit more than I would have to pay for europe or Turkey if the prices are going to be high when they are released :) .
Long Haul prices seem to be out.

I went into FC about Egypt and they told me it will be July.

Helen
Is it just me or is anyone else getting frustrated that they aren't releasing the brochures until late june july, I am waiting with anticipation to book my next holiday as I want a free child place and other deals when you book early.
I just think this may backfire on the TO :que

I know there are lots of people who just book late on in the year but if you need certain dates etc you have to book early,it's driving me potty as I really need a holiday next year and something to look forward to :)
Thomas Cook and Direct Holidays have delayed summer 2010 holidays untill July and have also noticed Thomson is same. Waiting myself to get booking for 2010.
Surely whenever they issue the first brochures all the normal first edition brochure offers will be available, regardless of if they issue them in April or September :que Its not like anybody else can book either so the holidays aren't going to get sold out. I wish they would return to doing them in September I hate the pressure of feeling obliged to book early just in case what I want books out. Prefer the money in my pocket to theirs and the later you book in the current economic climate the less time the company has to go bust in the interim. :yikes
As an agent I'd agree with the above.
Last year we had FOUR seasons on sale all at the same time. The brochures were out for Summer 2008, Winter 2008/9 AND Summer 2009 while we were STILL selling Winter 2007/8!

It was a little confusing, especially as at the same time all the Airtours, Panorama and Manos systems were being switched to Thomas Cook and First Choice Summer 09 was being sold on Thomson's system, but holidays for Summer 08 and Winter 08/09 were still on the old FC system.

Years ago brochures didn't come out for the following summer until about Christmas time. The theory is that people save and plan for Christmas, then when that's all over they save and plan for their Summer holiday and so on. I think a brochure release about September would be great. It means the lates rush is almost over, flight plans can be arranged better so there are not so many schedule changes come the following summer and for shops there are less brochures to have to find space for and essentially less paper wastage due to there being multiple brochure issues. The Tour ops will have a better idea of what sold and performed well that year and maybe where there needs to be less holidays, or even more holidays.

I, for one, am in the position that my Husband will very likely be jobless this time next year and many people will be in the same position, sadly so for many families a holiday abroad will not be a priority. The market is reacting to this, like any successful business should.
Hi all,

I popped into my local Thomson branch at the beginning of May and enquired about their 2010 brochures and they assured me that even though they had been delayed that they would be out no later than the end of May and this was after speaking to the Manager! She did try and sell me a Long Haul destination though. lol. But I was suprised to read all your replies on here saying it's July. I actually remember when brochures used to come out the last week of August, I used to get excited about trying to find our next holiday but waiting until July won't cause me much distress, that is unless they delay it further!
Lets face it, the only reason people started booking in April/ May was because the greedy tour operators were releasing the brochures in April/May!
People then got used to it and now it's reverting back to July and it feels like a change!

I think one of the main reasons the Tour operators are holding back is because of the low pound and how much more it will cost them to get their accomodation! Now they know full well that lots of people wouldn't be able to afford the added cost that may produce and are therefore hoping the pound picks up and they can lower the prices!
No doubt they've not sold so many package holidays this year as other years so if their prices increased by a lot they know they'll sell even less!
Flipin eck Chivas if they are waiting for the pound to recover against the Euro I cant see us getting the brochures this side of Xmas. :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.