France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
busy or not
11 Posts
France is ALWAYS busy at this time of year, as all the French civil servants and schools are on holiday then! Brantome will probably reflect this .... but I don't quite understand the point of your question. Shops and banks will be open (except for 15 August which is a Bank Holiday and the roads will be very full with folk returning back to Paris!) and you should book accommodation well in advance of travel.

What specific information were you seeking?
first time car hire if roads are busy will prob unsettle me
Ah all is clearer now! I think you'll find it easier than you think.

May I offer some suggestions?

1. Be sure where you are going if it's a long drive eg to your destination. Websites like http://www.viamichelin.co.uk will help you plan your route and you can appoint a navigator to help you with directions. A satnav can be a big help too.

2. The website Bison Futé (Crafty Bison(!) http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr/diri/Accueil.do?langue=en is set up especially to help holidaymakers sort out their travel plans in high season ... alternative routes for heavy traffic areas, roadworks or accidents and what special events are happening at motorway service stations to entertain youngsters etc. Worth a look .. and it's in English too.

3 Make sure you have the required safety equipment - obligatory .... ONE high vis vest in the car itself, a first aid kit, an unused one-time breath test kit in your glove compartment, spare bulbs and fuses, a warning triangle and headlight converters (yes, still obligatory!!)

4. Carry water and non-chocolate snacks for if you get caught up in jams or hot weather.

5. Make sure your car has been serviced a few weeks ahead of your journey.

6. Make sure you have appropriate insurance and breakdown cover ... the Green Card is a good start.

7. I have found it helpful to put the French speed limits and their UK equivalents on a post-it note in the centre of the steering wheel until I've got used to them!

When you arrive in France, set your watch to the correct time (UK time +1). Try not to drive too far on your first night. It's the first few kilometres from the channel ports that are the most stressful, but you should find yourself settling down once you get used to being on the 'other side' of the road. Ask the person in the passenger seat to keep you apprised of your road position as regards the centre of the road and if it's clear to overtake!

The greatest danger will be when you start to relax! Then you might start off, especially after turning left out of a side street, on the wrong side of the road!

The two other problems may be ... roundabouts .... the person on the roundabout has priority over the person joining it, and roads joining the road you are on from the right .... which may have priority even though they are minor roads!! Be careful about this one!!

Slowly and steadily will do it, and I'm sure you will adapt very quickly. Please don't hesitate to post if you'd like any more information or questions answered. And have a lovely holiday.
Alsa I think they are in a left hand drive as He talks of first time car hire!?!

On the occasions I have had to hire a car in France (due to a bust turbo hose on my car) I found it actually quite easy but I do enjoy driving the other side as except for cities the traffic is more spaced out and less in such a mad rush (except cities though take note they are as bad as any big conurbation here)

Driving in France needs you to be able to work the opposite to the UK
give way to the left
go right on a roundabout
and understand that a car flashing you is usually saying Gendarme ahead not get out of my way

The advice Alsa gives is all very relevant especially the beam benders on UK cars so many folk think that because they are only driving in daylight they don't need them you do but if you are hiring a French car one less thing to worry about

Have a good time over there not be long before we are over too
Give way to the left, on roundabouts, pulling out from side roads, but on some minor roads traffic coming in from the right takes precedence.
thanks for the advice im hiring a car from the airport and i have a guide to take me to the chateau but after that im on me own when hiring car is there a breather test in there and all relivant driving aids in there to ie high vis top etc
There is usually a visibility vest in hire cars, the breathalyser is a new rule in France so not sure if there will be one in the car. By the time you go though I would imagine you will be able to obtain one quite easily.

Don't worry about driving in France, I live in Southern Germany and when I drive to the UK I choose to drive through France rather than Germany to reach the channel even though I have to pay tolls on the motorways, because of the ease of driving even when the roads are busy.

I obviously hadn't read Alsa's post thoroughly as I only repeated in my earlier post what she had already posted. :duh
Whoops, sorry, hadn't realised you were hiring a local car! OK so everything should be in it, but do check with the rental agency before you leave. If there isn't a breathalyser kit you can pick one up for about 1.50 € from a pharmacy.

Make sure you know if it's diesel (gasoil, pronounced gaz-wal) or petrol (essence) and if it's petrol, whether it's 95 or 98 octane. It's also worth checking if you need to bring it back full - in which case ask where the nearest petrol station to the airport is ...
Even though you are hiring a car. I would make a sign that says

REMEBER
drive on the right
Look LEFT!!!

An put it on th steering wheel every night. Sounds numpty but I find it really helps.

Edit changed look right to look left
We drive to France most years and I find driving in France to be a breeze compared to the UK (well the bit from Glasgow to Lancashire is ok). I tend to keep my sat nav on even when I know where I'm going because it shouts at me if I go too fast.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.