EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Firstly be careful and you should be ok.

cost: purchase tax 3% of price
Lawyer about 200gbp
translator 70 GBP
habitation cert if new build about 400 GBP per 100,000 gbp house
municipal taxes (council tax) .15 to.3 % of property value.
Translations and notary 35 gbp
insurance including DASK (earthquake ins) 160 gbp per year.
Hi,

If you go on the agents sites they usually give you a price breakdown of additional costs.

We bought our villa in Turkey and have no regrets whatsoever. It was a simple transaction and am currently looking for another investment.

My advice is rather than going on an inspection trip book a holiday and go around the estate agents - make a few appointments and see a few properties.

This way you can get to know the area without being stuck with the company you bokked the inspection trip.

We saw approx 40 properties - all the agents we met were very friendly and were not pushy in the slightest.

We eventually bought direct from our builder - so didnt have to pay the agent fees - sorry agents!
Joolz I am an agent and no wonder my kids are on lettuce sandwiches if you are going direct to developers :lol:

Seriously though going through an agent if they are good should save you money.

An example developers price of 115,000 Euros my client bought for 98,000 commission included- they will often give us deals they dont give walk ins.

Also if you buy direct who checks the build permission and debt liabillities etc???
We did all our homework before we dived in - you may remember early last year me asking lots of questions before we went out!!

The only thing we hadnt thought too hard about was how much we were prepared to spend...well we had a budget all worked out for fees furnishing etc and then saw our place and spent £20k more!! Bang went our savings!

Luckily we have an investment that is due to mature this summer - so we would like another place - if the price is right...possibly Turkey again but may even try Cyprus.

As I said the agents were all very professional and knew all their stuff - there were so many properties to choose from.

Sorry about the lettuce sandwiches! LOL!
Taking a holiday and looking around is a good idea and that's what i'm planning next. I've also bought a few books to give me an idea of what needs to be thought about. I didn't know half the stuff bryn had said.
I would defo go on holiday and do it. The reason I say this is so you can go back to a property at a different time of day and see whats going on.

We saw a nice apartment - shown to us during the day - went back on our own at 8pm and it was sooooo noisey - the bars (which were not that close) had their music up full blast!

Try to think about all the facilitites you want from your property and list them.

*take into account what the next person would want for their money when you sell

*think about rental - who are you trying to encourage what do they need?

*location - if its families you want to rent to - how far is public transport/beach/shops/entertainment?

*whats the maintance fees - and what do these inc?

The list goes on....

We bought on a complex which we love as it has tennis/basketball/2 large pools and the beach is 2 mins away - our families love it.

We didnt pay solicitors fees/notary fees/translation fees - as the builder paid for this - that was the deal he offered all of us who bought direct. When you think about it he didnt have to pay agents fees for finding us so - he just passed a bit of his savings on to us.

He is busy finishing two more complexes - so were going to look at these now they are almost finished!! Weve seen them at foundation level already....

Everything was all above board and we have our title deeds etc - as I said I would defo do it all again!

Joolz :wink:

Edited by Bawbee to remove unauthorised signature
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.