Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Hi Michele, I use a firm called Travelex to buy euros on-line. Usually get a good rate and no commission. Order and pick up a your departure airport. I think most airport sites which have an on-line currency order facility will have a link to Travelex.
One thing though, if you buy from them at the airport desk you will pay commission. Also take into consideration any charges your bank might make for using a debit/credit card to purchase on-line. Buying currency is treated by many banks as a cash advance transaction.
We have a Nationwide Flex account which means we can use our debit card without incurring any charges. Also works in the hole-in-the-wall machines without charges.
hi Kamari

thanks for information.

I have looked at travelex site, it looks ok 1.43 seems a good rate my brother-in-law went toTomson got 1.37 on Friday.

Always a bit weary of releasing large sums of money on line.

thanks again michele :)
We always use Marks & Spencer on line and they deliver foc next day by special delivery, their euro rate is 1.437 today.
We bank with Lloyds so use their online travel money facilities to book all our holiday money, no commission and can have it delivered or pick it up at Branch.
Not sure whether all banks offer this service. Maybe worth checking out your own bank. :)
cheers Jan
We preordered our Euros via Travelex online this year for the first time ever, normally use the post office. I did it about three weeks before and the rate stayed about the same and was much better than any other source including the post office.

wouldn't hesitate to do it again, it was dead easy even though I must admit I was worried about it.

Don't just buy it from their outlets when you get there as you get a rubbish rate, go ahead and order online!
Hi All,
We now take as little euro cash with us as possible because we get a much better rate using the ATMs with our Nationwide Flex account card. As someone else has said they do not make any charges.
We went to Corfu the last week in Sept. Euro cash was free from our local Co-op travel but I only got 1.42 to the £. The cash we withdrew in Greece was at a rate of 1.475!
Yiamass, Jean :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.