Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
New Train line
7 Posts
They won't be starting work on the extension to Marbella until the existing line is twin-track all the way from Malaga Centro to Fuengirola. This phase also includes making several of the station platforms longer to accommodate longer trains. When this is complete, trains will run every 15 minutes instead of every 30 at present.

The Fuengirola to Marbella section is scheduled to open in 2014 but I can't see them completing it by them. 2007 cost estmates were 130 million euros due to vast sections of the new line going underground.

A.M.
The twin tack is very much 'work in progress' .... Mike didn't know trains would runs every 15mins, thats great news..roll on completion :tup
Thanks Mike and Daveanne, great to know that there will be more trains running from Malaga.I will look forward to new track in the future, I much prefer the train to the bus.

Any idea when Malaga cento station will reopen ? Also can you get the train into Malaga at the moment or do you need a taxis for the last bit? And was this way Malaga centro has been closed ?
The Malaga Centro upgrade is a major bit of engineering. The station platforms are being lengthened and the tunnel widened to accomodate twin tracks. The trains currently terminate at the RENFE mainline station and its a walk of a half a kilometre or so into town. There is a shuttle bus service. The original announcement said that Centro would be closed for about 18 months so it should be well on the way to being completed.

The railway line is planned to be extended in stages all the way to Algeciras but I guess I'll be a very old man by the time it is completed !
Mike, are they planning to convert the airrport station to an underground one?
The underground station at the airport was scheduled to open in April 2010 but I haven't seen any evidence that any work has started on it yet. Apparently the money to build it was only approved towards the end of last year.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.