EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Hi, Sorry I can't help you with the Costa Calida but I do have a holiday home in Spain so here's my thoughts.

Agents will tell you that a golf course will give you year round rentals but I don't think this is necessarily true. There are so many golf courses in spain now, all with properties to rent in close proximity that competition is very fierce and there probably aren't enough golfers to go round!

I'd go with your instinct that close proximity to a beach, shops and restaurants are the biggest seller. If the budget will stretch to it, within walking distance would be a big plus point.

When we bought our house, we bought primarily as a family holiday home for ourselves and the question I kept in mind as I viewed was "would I rent this property for my holiday if I didn't own it?"

When we did decide to rent I just aimed it at families similar to ourselves and so far it seems to have worked.

Just a word of caution though - Agents will grossly inflate the number of weeks you can expect bookings for and I would not rely on rental income to pay any mortgage. I've found that rental income pays for someone to look after and maintain the house so that when we go out we can have a holiday rather than have work to do!
Thanks Jan

I have been thinking along the same lines as you. If we buy think "would I come here on my holidays". We were talking to an agent who is offering inspection trips but nearly everything she gave us details on is on a golf course with other courses being developed in the area. I feel in a few years there will be thousands of 2 bedroom apartments to rent on golf courses in the same area, you would need something pretty spectular to stand out from the crowd. I'm sure golfers would still like an apartment or house near a variety of golf courses but with shops and the beach beside them as well. Think of all the golf widows.

If the agent can come up with more suitable properties we may go out to get the feel of the area but will not be presurised into anything. If we see nothing we could go back on our own later. I am very sceptical as to the amount of rental income they say we can get from a golf property, they say a golf property has a much longer rental season.

How did you find your house, did you go through one agent or try a variety in the locality?

The agent told us that they can give us the name of an independent lawyer who they don't pay and they highly recommend. Is it a good idea to use this lawyer or to get our own?

Thanks
I live in a first line (to the beach) villa in Spain, and also have an apartment which I rent out on a golf course.

Unless your property is within a hundred meters or so from the beach you will not enjoy being 'within walking distance'.
It is no fun having to lug sun beds, towels, the cool box, an umbrella and any other essentials any great distance in the heat. You will end up driving the journey instead, which rather defeats the object.
Bear in mind as well the additional maintenance that you property will need, not only outside deterioration from the salt air, but also inside .where sun oil stains can be almost impossible to remove from furniture.
You would probably be hoping for a 'family market' to rent your property, but I would suggest that you would be restricting your rental opportunities to the British school holidays.

An apartment on a golf complex makes much better sense. There is the potential for virtually a year round rental (my apartment on a golf course has been constantly occupied since October 2005). Many of the courses have their own rental agencies, which will advertise your property and deal with maintenance and changeovers. All have facilities for non-golfers and some have free shuttle bus services to and from the nearest beaches.

I am sure that on your inspection trip you will be told of, and perhaps shown, the new airport at Corvera which is under construction.
This is due to take intercontinental flights direct from such places as Japan and the U.S.
(Alicante and Murcia airports only have limited European flights).
With this in mind, I would advise that the golf resorts on the Costa Calida offer a superb investment opportunity.
When looking at property on a golf couse what makes one property more desirable to rent or buy than another?
e.g location on course, (if they are all front line is it view, proximity to club house, 1st tee, south or west facing)
size - 1, 2 or 3 bedrooms
ground floor v upper?

Thanks for all the advice it is appreciated.
All courses have different facilities.
Generally speaking, golfers (IMO), make better tenants and are more respectful to your property than families with children.
A view of the course would be nice, but is not really necessary. Who spends time looking out of the window when they could be playing anyway?
Some people prefer to be close to the action (Pool, clubhouse etc"¦), some don't; but that would not be a 'deal breaker'.
I have never had a tenant that did not drive a hire car, and I would imagine that all of them have made good use of their cars whilst being here. So location is not really an issue as far as beaches, bars, restaurants and other courses are concerned.
I am sure that some people, and not just non-golfers cannot imagine what the new courses in Costa Calida are like. Gone are the days of a wooden shed in which you would change into your funny checked trousers. Some of these places are self contained 'towns', with bars, shops, restaurants, leisure and equestrian centers, supermarkets, doctors and dentists .and just about everything else you could ever need.
Spain tends to get it right when it comes to leisure and tourism. They are gearing up for an influx of Yen and Dollars, and I am sure that there is a lot of money to be made.

Come and see for yourself!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.