EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Dave, hiya mate :tup try looking at the forum turkishliving.com it will come up with lots of info. My advice would be to keep your money in the bank mate. loads of people have been stung buying turkish properties and end up loosing all their money. it's a right old minefield with scammers and and allsorts and some people loose their life savings. take a look at the forum and you will see how angry the folks are on there about being fooled into investing. some people can't get hold of their deeds and have their places taken off by the banks when its discovered the builders or developers have debts against the property what the buyers had no idea abot.

Another thing is that turkish properties are really hard to sell now, and people who bought 5 or 10 years ago have to knock off so much off the asking price that they really loose out but even then, knocking off 50% isn't shifting them. they just can't sell them so it's a very bad investment. keep your money safe :tup
Thanks for your reply and advise, its a mine field and were still picking our way across it! trying to get more feed back on orka homes, they,ve offered us a guarantee of £8,000 rental income which will be deposited into our account completion of sale! Also a buy back clause! hope to get loads more advise before we open the purse stringslol! thanks mate
they,ve offered us a guarantee of £8,000 rental income which will be deposited into our account completion of sale

This sounds very fishy to me. Guarantees are often not worth the paper they are printed on and this sounds far too optimistic. You might like to run checks on this company and see if they will give you details of any 'happy customers' that you can contact for other experiences of working with this company.

I wouldn't put my money on this ... what if your villa never gets built, or if they can't sell it, then their buy back clause is worth didly-squat. Your money, but if I were in your place, I'd be suspicious of what sounds too good to be true.

Utopia does exist I believe, but I've never found it on any map that has come into my possession!
orka homes is a very reputable company in the area and noel kennedy is a good realliable man, all property buying abroad is a mine field if you don't know the ways
i have had mine along time and could not possibly loose money, but many have that have paid top prices for
at the most buying of plan is ok aslong as the correct permissions are in place and the right licence has been given to issue tapu's
i would do your research and not rush into anything without being sure of what you are doing
its not a get rich thing anymore
but as previouly said try turkish living forums or just look around at other websites selling properties in that area
These Guarantees do work but you will get the 8,000 but then you will also get plenty of bills
electrictiy, council tax, insurances, cleaning, pool maintence,garden maintence,management fees, etc these all add up and you will proberbly end up with £4,000
So don't look at any investment as a major profit making idea, also you will only be able to use your apartment off peak at selected times even though you own it your profit will be in years to come when you sell, also if you sell within 5 years you will pay a capital gains tax in turkey

:sun2
thanks for replies, we know its a minefield and are walking on tip toes! the orka homes organisation appear to be very well funded and organised. we shall take all comments on board, as they are very gratefully received. thanks agai Dave and Sheryl.
Having just bought an apartment on the border between Hisaronu and Ovacik, here is my advise.

Do not buy off plan, the current climate does not guarentee anything will be built or completed anytime soon.
There is currently a lot of apartments on the market, already complete where a deal can be done.

The rental returns quoted will already have been built into the asking price, so you are just getting you money back over time.

Buy from a recommended agent (PM me if you want my agents details) you will work for you and not the builder.

Ensure all TAPU, habitation certificates will be available (there are many horror stories)

We found it a painless process, but the web is full of unfortunate people who've been ripped off.
thanks for advise supperp am unable to pm you! dont know why , but my email addy is ** email address removed ** if you dont mind would you be so kind and email me your agents details? thanks dave and sheryl.

** I have removed your email address for your online security. Superpp can send you a PM and you will be able to reply. New members cannot send PM's to prevent spamming. luci HT Mod **
We were very lucky we bought off plan 6 years ago, and everything went smoothly. However knowing what I know now and also taking into account the current climate certainly would not even consider it now. We've seen many people fall by the wayside, and our agent who treated us well eventually went bankrupt causing many people to lose money that had been deposited with him in part payment.
Not sure how an £8000 rental guarantee could possibly be honoured. Have a look at the rental on properties similar to yours, unless it's very large and luxurious its not very high in Turkey. If you averaged £300 per week for 6 months(24 weeks), which is extremely optimistic it wouldn't be £8000.
You would be safer buying a resale property off someone English with a good solicitor. You'd probably get a great bargain as there are lots for sale, and hopefully would also have all the committee and maintenance set up (which can be a nightmare in itself that no one gives much thought to).
If you need to rely on rental income, I wouldn't entertain the idea - particularly with everybody in Europe tightening their belts. We have established a good client base for our apartment but it takes a lot of time and effort just to earn enough to pay the day to day costs.
Sorry to be negative but it certainly is a minefield!
you are so right alfie, i would not even venture into the over infalated market
but resale is different such good deals and you now all the certifaction is in place :sun2
We too are in a similar situation.......
Hi We have recently returned from a Holiday in Ovacik.
Also looking to buy a Property with Orka.
They are stunning Properties.
To Buy or not to buy? Built or Off plan?
It will be a Holiday rental home.
Any one have any suggestions.To Buy or not to buy.?
Or should we look for a Resale Property.
at the prices you will pay now its not a get rich scheme anymore, niether will you make any fortunes renting and it is alot of hard work trust me.
the time to buy in turkey was ten years ago before it became the major hotspot it is now
my advice is think hard before taking the plunge look at all the pitfalls as well as the positives
the final decision can only be yours and dont be swayed by others as this is not any reason for thinking you will not have any problems
hope this helps a bit :sun2
I agree with Maverick. If you are happy to have a holiday home for yourselves, family and friends, but not as a money making concern then it can be great. If however you need to rent it out to finance it I would say steer well clear.
If you look on any of the holiday lettings websites you'll see that there is so much choice for people wanting private accommodation, and this is increasing all the time because with the recession more and more owners are renting out their properties.
Ours is not the investment we thought it would be, but we love it, and ourselves and our family have got a lot of enjoyment out of it, even though we have been quite successful with holiday rentals they pay for the day to day running but thats all.
For anybody that is considering buying a home in turkey, be very very careful.New Builds are the worst.Resale property is easier.Quite often on new builds the builder will run out of money and takes a loan from a bank useing the land as collateral.Then when you have handed over all your cash you can never get the Tapu ( Deeds ) there are people here who have waited 4 years or more and still have no Deeds.Buying a Resale is better but you need advice on what to watch out for and as for trusting Avokats I would not.They are not trained in conveyancing and quite often the buyer will find him self saddled with the previous owners debt's.The law in Turkey is that if you buy a second hand car, New Build or Resale then the debt follows the new owner not the previous one.So just be careful and seek advice from an impartial party who has lived in turkey and knows the pitfalls.Ãâ€ΕΎÃ‚±n saying all that the weather is wonderful.

Ian
Theres shedloads of props for sale in turkey, they cant give them away. most people now know not to touch new builds with a bargepole :yikes that old chestnut about guaranteed rental income, load of tripe mate! they just bung on £10,000 on the price and give you some of it back over the next couple of years making out they let it out. bang out of order! think about it, how can anyone on the planet guarantee rental income? like that advert innit.....you know it makes sense. :rofl

some estate agents do worst that that, they rent your property out to mates or family and dont tell you! thousands of people are desparate to move back home from turkey and they cant sell their homes, they just cant. no buyers out there and the cost of living has gone thru the roof. resident permits and so on, food, petrol, its a nightmare. my mates having kittens coz they are stuck out there and not allowed to work. awful situation. makes matters worst properties are falling in value each month and when you have to pay maintenance fees on top of all that it's a kick in the guts. specially when you go out for a visit and the place is full of damp and had been burgled. burglaries happen every week in all the expat resorts and the police never catch them. tbh i wouldnt have a turkish place if you gave it to me, it would be a like a noose round your neck.
On 18th September 2010 at 01:53pm, dave jones said:
hello, just returned from oul deniz in turkey, and were thinking of buying an off plan villa from orka villas. has anyone got some advise and/or experiences with this company? all views greatly appreciated. dave and sheryl.
Hi did you purchase anything through Orka Homes? We are considering buying but just wondered if you went ahead with a purchase, thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.