Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Calahonda
19 Posts

Hi Jan,
We've stayed next to calahonda and driven through it loads of times, had a few meals there,its a very nice area,a lot of time share,few hotels some villas,not rowdy,some nice restaurants scattered about.Don't expect too much night life.
Its on a long main road which takes you to Fungirola one way and Marbella the other.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Mops. :)
The main Calahonda area is opposite the Barratt Dona Lola resort on the main road . You get to the beach via an under ground road that passes under the busy main road. There used to be a foot bridge over the road but it as gone now . ( taken down for safety reasons) You can't cross the road it's like a motorway.Calahonda is very big and streaches a long way back. Lots of apts and villas some a good walk from any night live shops etc. All or most of the bars , shops are along side the road. It's a handy place to travel to other places , near Marbella ,Fuengirola ,La Cala about 1 1/2 hours from Gib. Many many place to visit. It's a bit tricky to get used to getting on and off the junctions if you are planning on driving but you soon get into it. We have been there a few times and always had a good time .
You can find most things in the area and now there is more supermarkets it is better, W efound everything we could want within the area. for the :D naturist there is a long beach just south of calahonda at cabopino . two beaches for normal use or naturist. the beach bars are slightly dearer but quality so far has exceeded the town bars. Andy's bar highly used. over all We enjoyed the area and will be going back. try it
on my mission to find a home im calling out to anyone who knows this area...any good?is it close to beach for the renters?? there seems to be good choice in penthouses etc at good prices..all advice most welcome..
My sister - in -law has an apartment in upper Calahonda near La Siesta Golf Club . Calahonda seems to be a very " British" place . I will help if you can be more specific about what you require . It is mainly for " older people " however .

Stanley
Sorry just reading your message again - is it close to the beach ? Answer is that the carratera divides Calahonda from the beach , you have to go underneath it . If you choose a place in Upper Calahonda you could be some way from beach , if you do'nt have a car you could be faced with a very steep ascent and descent , although there is a regular " train " from El Zoco shop area which goes up and around Calahonda . From memory I do'nt the beach is up to very much , quite small and isolated .
My parents had a two bedroom frontline villa in the Calahonda Beach complex right next to the beach for more than 20 years and I would agree that Calahonda as a resort has become predominantly British orientated over the years. It's location is pretty good being midway between Marbella and Fuengirola and the resort has spread up into the hills behind the El Zoco centre which provides for most eating and drinking needs. What some apartments may lack by not being close to the beach can often be made up for by having excellent views. As well as an underpass, there is also a pedestrian bridge over the extremely busy N-340 main coast road to help ensure holidaymakers don't get run over on the way to the beach ! To be honest there is nothing remotely exotic about Calahonda but it's fine for a sun and sea holiday although as Stanley mentioned the beach is fairly narrow and therefore can get rather crowded at weekends. Calahonda is a pleasant enough resort with it's location on the Costa del Sol and the fact that many British holidaymakers go there probably being the main plus points for anyone looking to rent a property out there.
Hiya,

I live in Calahonda and have so for the last 2 years prior to that i was in benalmadena,

the area has a more residential feel to it than other parts of the Costa, I like its location being 10 mins from fuengirola by car and 10 mins to marbella in the other direction, the lower part where i live is for the most part completed so hardly any building works, the upper part is growing and there are lots of new properties and lots of work going on,
there is a good selection of bars and shops both in el zoco and los cipreses.

If you would like to know more then please mail me and i will help all i can,

Peter
I have stayed in Calahonda and the surrounding area many times, but I could never live there. That road terrifies me. Last year we stayed at the Leila playa apts in June everytime we went out there was a smash on that road some of them bad. We are staying in Mijas Pueblo this time.
what can anybody tell me about calahonda i have found a villa there and wanted to know something about the area or where it is etc
Calahonda is approx. 30 mins by car from Malaga airport passed Fuengirola. It is quite a large area with lots of bars etc. The main road (like motorway and very fast) seperates the beach/beach side properties from the largest part of the urbanisation which goes up hill away from the road. We have stayed in this area and found it to nice and central for dotting about, but it depends on what you are looking for.
Where is the villa you have found?
:wink:
Calahonda is pretty central in the Costa del sol, making it quite handy for commuting/travelling and has quite a lot of ex pats living there.

We've stayed there 3 times and have always found it quite relaxing and the bars & restaurants in the area are much cheaper than Marbella.

If you are going over to look, The Atlantic Club (Campanario de Calahonda) is pretty well placed for checking everywhere out.
Hi,
I am trying to find out for my elderly parents about this place. They have gone to Nerja for the last 3 years and liked it but want a change. They are 75 and 66 years of age and both are very weak on their feet. They enjoyed the fact that in Nerja, there was a small train going around town collecting and leaving people around the town.

They can't walk far, they enjoy eating out at different restaurants, is this complex in a good area, close to amenities, beach, etc.

Would you recommend this complex for a older couple, is it being developed? building work, etc.

Would it be close in stlye to Nerja? Thanks Ro.
Calahonda also has a little train to take you round the place . You will need it , the top of the place is very hilly !!
Hi, to be honest it doesnt matter where u stay on the coast u have to use one of two roads, the N340 or the A7 and both are nasty roads. Ive lived in Calahonda 6 years now. There are people of all ages there not just "older people" as it was put. Im only 21 and im not short ao people my own age round here. nightlifes not great but then if ur moving here for good thats not an issue i dont suppose. I live right at the top of calahonda in El Porton and its great. Its mostly residential, very quiet, theres a couple of bars and restaurants, a shop and kiddies park within very close walking distance. U have the big supermarkets and lots more bars and restaurants down the bottom of the hill in either El Zoco or Los Cipreses. Theres a few banks, a couple of vets........ what more do u need?! The beach is on the opposite side of the N340 and it'd take u maximum 5 mins to get there by car on a bad day. Calahonda beach isnt great but 5 mins drive towards Marbella there is a fantastic beach in Cabopino. I would say that Calahonda is predominantly ex-pats so most places around here are either english owned or english speaking. Also there is a golf course here too, La Siesta. I hope ive been sum help to u.
Given their age they would be better in fuengirola at los Boliches end or La Cala where they can walk to everything and there are plenty of promanades to walk along. They need to drive all the time in calahonda.
there are many facets to calahonda,as there is along the cost,when buying to rent look at what other people will like about the area and not what you prefer,some people will like the beach but then you will pay over the odds,most people wil hire a car,golfers. the more muture person will go to los boliches.regards steve.any more info please email.
Has anyone stayed in these apartments?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.