Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I would say it is about 2 hours by car - by boat not sure.....but I doubt if it would be there and back in 1 day.
Can anyone tell me what Calis Beach is like and the Oykun Hotel. Is it easy to get to different places by dolmus and water ferry.
Thanks Margaret
Hi, We've visited Calis twice. Absoloutly loved it. It's quieter than Fethieye or Marmaris. The beach is quite dark, but the swimming is great. There are some lovely restaurants and shops, and it is very easy to get just about anywhere using the Dolmus. There is a market there in Calis, I think it was on a Sunday, and there is one in Fethieye on Thursday. Both well worth a visit. Great bargains to be had. The sunset from the beach is unbelievable, and not to be missed. Hope you have a great time. :D
got to agree with garysmissus. u can't miss the sunset. Absolutely fantastic site. i would make sure i got to the restaurant just to watch that!! i'm a sad case i know but just you wait you will agree. There's some fantastic restaurants along the beach front. Why is it whenever you try to remember the names your memory goes totally blank?? If i think of the names i will add later. Where is Scunner when you need him?? Actually if anyone does know would love to know if his family have settled well in Calis?
Holiday had gone when I rang back. The next week was available but the price had gone up by £100 each. Another time maybe as it sounds lovely.
Thanks for the opinions
Margaret
al321
I think you will find scunner if you check out
http://www.calis-beach.co.uk
which is quite a good site for that area of Turkey.
Thanks for that teegee. I kept promising i would write him a review for his private rental villa, which was fantastic if anyone happens to click on the site. I did know i'd written him a couple of reviews for restaurants so now i'm able to say the Harem at Calis is fantasic for food. Orient express also. see i just needed a memory jog :lol:
sunsets, beach bars restaurants what more can you want
Could do with cleaning the beach up though! It is not the best beach in the world!! But the sunsets are lovely.
Fethiyegirl, i do envy you. you live in a beautiful part of Turkey. If my husband had his way we'd be buying property out there. We loved our visits to Fethiye. Maybe when we retire..... i'd better keep dreaming unless i win the lottery!!!
Don't mean to hijack your thread but my son and I are looking for somewhere self catering in Calis for next summer, as near the beach/town as poss, has anyone any suggestions?
Cheers, Shorty 8)
hello al321
Yes it is a lovely place to live. I just returned from a short trip to England and even Calis looked good to me (sorry i am not a big fan of the place)
But Fethiye in general is wonderful. Having been "back" for those few days i can honestly say that i made the right choice coming to Turkey to live!
Does anyone know how long it take to get to calis beach from airport
between 1 hour and 1 1/2 depending on time of day . assuming coach transfer and not private car

Del
Hi,
Am going to Calis Beach (1st time Calis :!: 4th time Turkey :D )August this year, staying at the Bahar Hotel can't find any reviews. any one been?
How is the resort price wise? Is is possible to get to Olu Deniz by water Taxi?

Thanks greatly

:)
:D Hi MickeyD, I am going to Calis for the first time this year too (August). I am a member of two other forums, both very good, which have a wealth of knowledge on the area, if you pm me I will send you links. I am also sure you will get lots of replies on this excellent forum. As far as I am aware its Dolmus to Olu Deniz (into Fethiye then out) doesn't take long. I know you can get the water taxi to Fethiye, it takes about 25 mins I think, or the dolmus which is quicker and a little cheaper than the water taxi. Resort prices in Calis sound similar to other resorts, the restaurants on the front are a little more expensive than further back (as usual) and prices have risen this year due to tax increases on alcohol and food (as in other resorts).
Shorty 8)
We stayed at the Oykun hotel last year and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
The hotel is a family run business and is set back from the beach area. The accommodation is clean and tidy, with a daily maid service every day, the cleaners also have a bit of fun by arranging the towels into various shapes (Birds, heart shapes and others to name).

The pool is a decent size, with a small one for young kids. Close to the pool is the resturaunt, when the pool is closed at about 6pm they move the tables and chairs closer to the pool and serve the evening meal (With candles too for you romantics lol)

Its about a 3 or 4 min walk to the ferry over to Fethiye, the cost is about 1500 each (From memory and takes about 30 mins) The beach at Calis as others have mentioned is well known for its sunsets, however the beach is sometimes found with wire baskets turned upsides down, this is to protect the turtle eggs from being trampled. There can be a bit of a rip at times at the beach so exercise caution, I cant remember seeing any lifeguards at all.

The promenade is about 1 to 1.5 miles long, with the beach/water to one side, and hotels and eating places to the other. At the south end is, what me and the girl friend called, the bedouin tent. A rough hesian tented structure that all the locals visited to listen to the turkish music, you can sit there and listen too, whilst parttaking in turkish or other coffee or drinks (Think it was beer only)

You still get 'grabbed' as you walk past the resturaunts by the waiters, telling you that their place is the best and you wont be able to avoid this unless you walk on the beach. Best suggestion is get a tan early in your holiday then they tend to think you have been there for a while and will leave you alone

We tried a turkish bath in Fethiye, believe me if you are a female you have dipped in (Youre in luck in other words). We visited the old turkish bath in the market area of Fethiye, going ourselves. After paying for a sauna and massage we were told to change into our swimming costumes and taken to a sauna with a large round dias in the middle of the room. We were left alone for appx 30 mins wondering what was in store for us. (Take care the dias gets very hot after a while) Two people suddenly appear and after a heated discussion between them my girlfiend was gently guided to the dias again and given a 15 min sponge down with a soapy cloth, by this time i was looking forward to mine and when she was finished, she received 6 buckets of cold water poored over her to refresh her. My masseur turned around to me, gave a grunt which basically said 'oy u get ur bum on there now' and I was given a 5 min rub down followed by one bucket of cold water !!!! Yes sex equality im all for it lol.

We were told to dry ourselves and then taken through to the front area, there was another heated discussion, the older chap won and guided my girl friend on to the massaging table, me, well I got the same old grunt !!!!

My massage lasted 10 mins, I ended up waiting another 10 for my girl friend !!! Yes if you are a female and go for a turkish bath in Fethiye you are in luck ! To finish the visit we were offered either Coffee or tea.

Calis beach and fethiye is surrounded by fairly high mountains, since my girl friend suffers from slight vertigo we were kind of confined at times from venturing far however we did manage to go on some trips.

We managed Saklikent gorge, the fish farm trip and another to name (Some old ancient roman town stuck on a hill and it was interesting)

All in all, both myself and my girl friend enjoyed ourselves staying at the Oykun hotel in Calis beach
:) Thanks for that Silent Nomad, very interesting (and funny!!)
Shorty 8)
What people think of Calis beach near Fethiye, it is becoming a big development, but to me its always felt too hot all summer
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.