France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Where do I begin, my wife and I are going to Le Ranolien on 24th August till 8th September, this our second trip there this year and we have been going there twice a year for about six years. It is a very friendly camp and the staff are very helpful. As for the roads to it have a look here:

http://www.mappy.com/ to plan your route. If you would like to, pm me a phone number and I will speak to you and try and answer any questions you may have, it will be easier than posting here.

John
I can't help with the camp site but can help with your more general questions.
We always get our travel directions on the AA's website http://www.theaa.com and they tend to be clear and fairly accurate with timings (we drove from Caen to Dol de Bretagne a few weeks ago using AA directions and the timing was spot on). The AA and the RAC will sell you breakdown cover but also check with your car insurance company. I'm insured with Norwich Union and it's cheaper for me to add European breakdown cover to my insurance for the full year than to take it out with the AA or RAC for the duration of the holiday. Also be aware that your car insurance policy probably only gives you 3rd party cover abroad but for a small charge (I pay £30 a year) you can up it to fully comp.
If you're travelling with Eurocamp, Keycamp, Canvas Holidays etc they give you a list of the equipment they provide and all you generally have to take, apart from the clothes etc you would normally take on holiday, is sheets, pillowcases and towels (unless you have hired linen). Unless you have a faddy eater with you, you will find most foods are available in France. We tend to take a box of breakfast cereal for the children because they can be hard to find and tend to be expensive, a jar of coffee for a cuppa as we unpack and snacks for the journey, but apart from that we don't take food with us.
If you're travelling with children, take their wellies. My girls had theirs on quite a lot this summer because the weather pattern when we were in Northern Brittany was that it rained overnight so the grass outside the caravan was wet and muddy first thing.
We tend to take a box of breakfast cereal for the children because they can be hard to find and tend to be expensive, a jar of coffee for a cuppa as we unpack and snacks for the journey, but apart from that we don't take food with us.

Depending who you are getting your static from you should get info as to what they provide

regarding the above you can get British food in some supermarche's but watch out for the prices for example a tin of Heinz beans is around 1€50
but for a lot of other foods look at the packaging not the label if it's familiar it is can't remember the label but Walkers Crisps are easy found with a different name and they are made in the UK.

I use Sat Nav to navigate so don't usually use on line stuff BUT Mappy is good as it gives you pictures of the road signs you need to look for on you route which can help the beginner as French signs are slightly different to ours
The main onethat's different that you will see there is a White bordered Yellow Diamond which means "you have right of way" if it has a diagonal white stripe it means you don't

Enjoy France

retour que vous

Hi there,
we're off there tomorrow - just packing now!!!
We've got a week in Perros and then a week in St Aubin,

I'll post a full report when we return :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
have a great time Mary :D
Hi, my review as promised....

We returned home from Perros/St Aubin last night after having a fabulous holiday.

There were 5 of us went - me n hub, our 15year old lad, 10yr old daughter, and 6yr old lad.
We only started going to France last year and have only been to 3 other sites before, but i can honestly say that Perros La Renollian is the best site ever!!!
It's a fairly large site but has loads to do for all ages.
We were very fortunate to have fantastic weather, so we used the pool complex every day (between 4 and 6.30pm). The pool area is large, and patrolled by lifeguards so safe.... and overlooked by the bar (so something for the adults too!!). And it's ok to swim is shorts not trunks!
The on site restaurant serves good well priced food in a friendly family setting (overlooking the play area which is handy if the kids get bored!), and there's a very good snack bar too, with outside seating.
in addition, there's a Crepe restaurant....
Also, the shop is very very well stocked and not as expensive as some on site shops can be....
The site also has a very good crazy golf, which took us hours to get round!!, and good playgrounds, inflatables, sports courts....... and the internet which the big son was pleased about.

The area of Perros is stunning - the pink granite rocks are soo bezzaar, and the site leads down to a very rocky beach which kept all our kids (including the 15yr old) busy for hours - rock pools etc...

There are loads of small seaside areas close by, all very very beautiful, especially Tregastel.

St Aubin campsite was a bit of a let down after the one at Perros, although to be honest, there was nothing at all wrong with it - just not as well equipped as La Ranollian.
And St Aubin is a perfect spot for visiting the Normandy beaches....

Hope that all helps - let me know if you'd like to know any more...
Thanks for that review.. So glad you had a lovely time..
We cannot wait now to go.. just over a week :)
I am sooooo jealous........ hope you have as good a time as us.
Thank you Mary... We hope so to... someone has put our minds at alot more rest to what they were.. As this is the first time we have done a holiday like this.. We will review when home, but don't want to think of that as have so many positive things on this place, and seen some great pics and websites.. really cannot wait now..

Thank you John!

Joanne
I am just in the process of getting everything ready for leaving early tomorrow to get the 11.30 am ferry from Plymouth to get to Le Ranolien. I am having a nightmare, I have just gone on my pc to print off my e-ticket for the ferry and the reservation mail for our hotel for the first night in France and my pc has blown the motheboard so no e-ticket and no reservation mail. I just dont have the time to strip out the hard drive and retrieve the data before we go so I contacted Brittany ferries in a blind panic and they were fantastic. They told me just to come to the ferry as normal and produce my passport and they will print out a new ticket, easy as that. I only have to worry about the hotel now and I am sure that will be no problem. So just the packing to do and then an early night. See you there Joanne.

John
Oh John so sorry to hear about your problems with pc... Nothing like last minute nightmares.. not as bad as yours but my ipod bust this week :( Have a fantastic journey and hope hotel is ok. Looking forward to seeing you next week!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.