Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
cancelling
8 Posts
As the decision to cancel has been made by the person who was due to use the tickets, I am very surprised that she has not been charged the whole cost of the tickets - ie 'lost the lot'. I think it is totally reasonable that she pays a proportion of the costs involved; but as this is a 'compensation-chasing society' of hard-done-by individuals, I expect I'll get nothing but flack for my personal opinion!
Alsa -
Not from me you won't.

:D

Cic

PS - Off to Les Landes again next week for for a whole month.
Sounds the wrong way round to me - I would have thought it more normal to forfeit the fare or part of it but get the taxes back - possibly minus a processing fee.
Are you sure it's taxes and not just a cancellation charge?
Your friend may wish to check the type of ticket she purchased as certain tickets (usually the dearer ones) allow the changing of flights.

The cheaper tickets are usually sold on the basis that if cancelled you lose the fare.

Mark :D
It is classed as a disinclination to travel and if only the taxes are payable your friend has got off lightly..

Alsa..No flak from me you are spot on...
I expect I'll get nothing but flack for my personal opinion!

See no reason why you should, but then again!

I get rather fed up with the constant moans about TOs - Agents - Airlines. It seems that nobody ever does anything wrong. It is always someone else at fault.

Well some of us live in the real world. If you would like sympathy and help tell the whole story, not the selected highlights that put you in a good light.

I see no reason why cancellation charges should not apply. The airline is not at fault. They do incur costs no matter what some may think.

fwh
Alsacienne,
how could I possibly give you any flak after all your help with ducks and parking and things :lol:

This story sounds familiar to me. Here on this site, perhaps 9-12 months ago, a similar question was raised and I cannot recall the outcome unfortunately.

It seems logical to me that taxes are due on flights TAKEN.

Just found this having trawled back in time:

http://money.guardian.co.uk/travel/story/0,1456,1582312,00.html

Glynis (admin) found this link and it's discussed in this thread:

http://holidayforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=565960&highlight=#565960

In that past thread (from Nov 2005) I proposed a system whereby the "tax" element could be paid by the passenger when at the departing airport. Clearly, HM Government don't browse this site :lol:

But back to the main thrust, bejay, your friend should expect to pay some cancellation fees - the airline might call it an admin fee, a deposit loss, a penalty charge - but they cannot hold on to your taxes. The Office of Fair Trading states that legallythe airlines are bound to return taxes and airport fess to those who cancel - minus an admin. fee.

Your friend should calculate the taxes and airport fees included in the ticket prices and read the t&c's of ticket issue closely - but be prepared to loose some money as the airline has incurred costs so far.

Mike
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.