Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Laura,

I've used Holiday Autos for several years now and always been pleased with their service.

I hired a car at Palma airport through them last weekend, they used Centauro and we were bussed to the off site collection point. Paid for a mini size 2 door a/c but was given a 1.6 Focus, the car came with a full tank of fuel and was returned the same.

andy
Hi

I am going to Alcudia / Playa de Muro in May with the missus , 2 kids ( 5 and 9 ), plus my mum and her hubby, and was looking at car hire for a few days

But with 6 of us , I can't seem to find anything in the "value" range - anyone got any ideas ?
Are we able to hire a decent 5 seat car and squeeze them in legally ?
Is there a company that has a car that would suit us that isn't so pricey - the ones I have seen only do the Galaxy but it's more than double the cost of your typical 4/5 seater ?

Graham
have you thought of a vauxhall zafira reasonably cheap but very versatile and nowhere near the price of a people carrier .With one of the seven seats down we managed to carry six people and their luggage in barcelona this year,hope this is helpful to you.
hi handyandy

just a quick question bout the cars you have had from holiday autos im planing on taking my sat nav as it has maps of majorca on do you know if the cars have working cigerette holders for the sat nav

many thanx
laura :tup
All cars now from the major hire companys are relativly new ,so should have working lighter sockets.
For peace of mind just check it before you drive off,Push the lighter in to check it gets warm.It will only take a few seconds whilst you check the car over.You wouldnt drive off unknowing you had a cracked indicator that you might be charged for on your return would you?
Your other question.Holiday Autos like others are agents, you should have recieved a confirmation telling you what desk to go to.Record ,Crown ,Europcar etc.The various desks to pick up the keys are in arrivals, but you pick up the cars on the ground floor parking areas of the main car park outside arrivals over the road, and return them cars/keys there.
Make sure your maps are up to date as many of the roads are fairly new and our sat nav was a waste of time. However, I would say that the roads are very well signposted anyway.

Chris
just back from a week in Sa coma
hired a car via Doyouspain ,was with Record
had a problem on the 2nd day ,car wouldnt start at all ,phoned them up and within 2.5 hours i had a new car delivered to the hotel and the old one taken away ,Sa Coma is at least an hour away from the airport as well
and the best bit was it was full/full on diesel so the new car was full when it arrived on the back of a trailer
so all in all very impressed with their service :tup

kristoff..
yep your right re new roads ,my tomtom kept telling me about approaching roundabouts that wasnt there ,used to be but most now bypass them ,lot better roads now
Can anyone tell me if when hiring a car in Majorca you need a driving license with a photo on it. I only have an old fashioned one without photo

Cheers
The queues at the Recordrentacar kiosk at Palma airport are horrendous. As previously posted, in August last year, I pre-booked a hire car from them and it took a whopping 1.5 hours from arriving at the kiosk to the time I got the car keys in my hand due to the amount of people waiting. They used a ticket system where you take a ticket and then go to the counter when your number comes up. At the beginning of this month I again hired a car from them (via Doyouspain) thinking it couldn't be as busy again, especially as it was October and outside the main holiday season. How wrong I was. This time we arrived at the kiosk at 8.15 pm on a Saturday and I finally got the car keys in my hand at 9.45 pm, yet another identical 1.5 hour wait, only this time I had to stand in a queue the whole time because they weren't using the ticket system. :yikes :banghead:

Recordrentacar may be cheaper than some others (as long as you don't pay for the extra insurance they try to sell you at the counter) but I've learnt my lesson and decided I won't be using them again. I always hire a car for the duration of every European holiday I've ever been on in the last 7 years and apart from these 2 experiences with recordrentacar I've never had to wait more than 30 minutes to queue and process the paperwork before.
Sixt have become very competitive lately, and they are back in the terminal now.
Most car hire desks have a window on the opposite side to airside,and have noted on other occasions they seem to move a little faster.(the ratio between customers and staff is less)My last holiday was to Tenerife and had entered a baggage reclaim which I had not used before.On leaving I had to use the car hire window which was situated in arrivals/departures hall.The queue on airside was consideratly more than the side I was on.
I know your experience, one time I was so incensed I caught a taxi rather than wait any longer.
I have used all the hire companies on the island and my own findings are Centauro always give me the cleanest new cars and sensible rates , they now also collect you from airport easy peasy no hassle .. :tup
anyone used argus car hire they seem cheap and the cheapest for car seats, been quoted £121 for a astra for 5 of us everywhere else is about £150, always used car jet always had good service with them but have got expensive.
Anyone know who auto-europe uk use ,found it says the pick up is within the airport grounds but not who with
http://www.auto-europe.co.uk/

Only after a small car for a week in Majorca end of July and these coming up cheapest (£102)
Car jet and and like coming up at 130 ,Holiday autos cheapest but there adding on 21 quid for insurance
try amigos car hire i found them the cheapest and No excess :) :tongue
I have just booked with Amigo Car Hire as I was told they were really good. They gave us the best quote and hopefully the service will be as good as others have received :)
Hi,am looking to hire a car for the first time,amigos seem the cheapest? do they have a desk in the airport for pick up and collection? really wouldnt want to get a bus to go and pick up a car.
Staying in Alcudia/Playa de Mura as part of a cruise/stay and would like to hire a car in resort rather than the airport. Anyone have any suggestions please?

Jim
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.