Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
:tup Sorry for my error Higgy, I got carried away as I know economycarhire also hire in Menorca. (Very similar name as well)
I have been to Menorca many times now and have always used poppy cars they are an Ex pat couple who run it and are very reasonable with no hidden extras, and no I'm not on commission they have always been good to me that's all. Just Google poppy cars
Hi, we are staying in Cala'n Bosch at the end of August and would like to hire a car for approx 3 days. Can anyone suggest a reliable company and/or would you think it best to book before we go? Any advice appreciated :cheers
Definitely book before you go, hire cars in Menorca are in short supply and you could end up paying an arm and a leg if you wait till August, or you may not get one at all.

A car is the best way to see the island and I always use Poppy cars who will meet you at the airport if needed, or deliver the car to your hotel. I booked one for 3 days in June and it was very reasonable.

Of course, the bus service on the island is very good if all else fails.
Thanks am going to look into availability before we go :cheers
Autos pons ferries, s.l.

7 Seater for 1 day last year cost me 61 euros fully comp

The telephone number is 971 37 02 37 or 971 37 04 43.

hope this helps

:cheers :cheers :cheers
Bottom line is you WILL find someone here who will hire you a car.

The 25 year old min. age is a cost thing/insurance requisite and as above would be 'ignored'/smoothed offer with an excess

Also no one over 70 can hire a car eiter so its not ageist!
Hi everyone :wave:

Have pre booked a hire car through Cosmos and chose the smallest option as really it was just to get us from airport to the villa and back on the first & last day plus odd day/evening out.

We now have an extra person coming with us and it's going to be a tight fit to get 2 adults and 3 teens (albeit smallish ones) in a two door Corsa :yikes.

Is it easy to upgrade car hire at Mahon airport ? I know it is on mainland Spain, but I am worried that as Minorca is an Island, there might be a finite number of cars on the Island and now we are out of the world cup I suppose everyone will be booking their hols?

Thanks to anyone who answers.

Doe :sun2
Hi Doe ... considering the rental fleet shortages last summer (details earlier in this topic) which may be repeated this year, it might be best to try and arrange any upgrades in advance.

David :wave
Thanks David. :)

May do that but I have amended the booking once and am worried about the paperwork going haywire, with too may amendments ( I have been messed about a bit by other people who were coming, then weren't coming and now are coming again :duh ).

I do have a kind of plan B which is three of us drive to villa with suitcases etc in car, drop two off and then driver goes back for the other two who we leave at the airport, but not sure how far the drive is too and from Cala Galdana.

Doesn't look too bad on the map - am thinking maybe 20 kilometers each way ? Need to google it I guess.

What a nightmare.

doepsmc,
Another option is for 2 to go on the shuttle bus but this would be around 55 euros.
Just a thought though. :que
Linsi
Hi Linsi :wave:

Is that 55 each or for both and am assuming one way only which will be fine as one of the party is coming home a day early and we should all be able to fit in one car for the return journey.

Google map thingy says journey is only 27 mins, but that sounds a bit optimistic to me.

Thanks for the suggestion. :) Might go for this actually, if I can work out how to pre book. Probably need to read the whole thread.

Hi Doe ... there is a separate topic which may help you with airport transfer and taxi suggestions:
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=84342

David :wave
Doepsmc,
The price for two people, one way is 27.90 euros.
It is with shuttlemenorca.
We used them last year and have booked them again for this Friday. Very reliable and efficient.

Linsi

David, You may need to move this, wasnt sure where to reply to :whoops
Doe, the journey to Cala galadana should take no more than 30 minutes, so don't worry too much. The whole island is only 36 miles long and CG is virtually in the middle!

The bus journey from Mahon to Ciutedella only takes 45 minutes and that is end to end of the island.
Thanks folks. :) Excellent advice on here as always.

I have been to Menorca once before, but it was back in 2003 so I can't quite picture where all the different resorts are in relation to Mahon.

Just to say that we picked up a pre-booked hire car at Mahon airport at the 'Owners cars' desk - they seemed to be a desk for more than one car hire company.

I would advise anyone using them that can do so, to send one person to get in the queue to collect the car keys & do the necessary paperwork, while the others wait at baggage reclaim, as it takes a while to get processed when all you really want to do is get on your way.

We took so long the woman from Cosmos who was waiting to give us our villa details etc thought we hadn't travelled and came looking for us :rofl
I've booked a car through ' Do you spain' in a few weeks time for myself, mrs dandog and 9 and 7 yr old.

My questions are: Are people happy paying by credit card for the car? I would prefer to pay cash, but many will not do cash. I am uneasy leaving my c-card details.

Paying for a full tank of petrol up front ad returning it empty is a complete con. I feel that I should be able to return it full, not paying up front.

Do you spain do not return e-mails. This concerns me.

Has anyone used this firm before? Are they reliable/trustworthy?

I want to hire a car but for the above feel uneasy. We are staying in Cala'n Bosch. Could we make do without a car using taxis, buses etc?

Or maybe when we get to the airport try and get a good deal then.

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were.

Many thanks.
We've always had to leave CC details and not had any problems (economycarhire). We always had to return the car with the same amount of fuel we had on pick up.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.