Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
Hi Robbo :D Just a couple of weeks ago a friend stayed with me, and had booked her car through AutosReisen. She had paid 150€ for 10 days hire, and this was everything paid. The tank was half full, and she was asked to return it with the same. When we returned it there was no visual check on the petrol guage. She had a small accident a couple of days into the holiday, which was her fault. She did all the "correct" things i.e. rang the auto company and reported it to the police. AutosReisen were extremely helpful, told her not to worry, and that there would be nothing more to pay. All she had to do was sign an accident report when she returned the car. This was reassuring too, after some of the horror stories you read about car hire!!

She had booked online through a company called Orcar, whose logo is at the AutosReisen desk.

Oh, forgot to add, when she arrived to collect the car, she paid for the hire there and then with her card.

HTH :D
i'm just waiting for a confirmation from auto -reisen , they were reccommended to me by the people i'm renting a villa from. They seemed to be the most competitive in price and the service levels were comprehensive. The info i read was that you pay by credit card when you arrive at the office in the arrivals terminal. Good to see that the service was what it should be when accidents happen.
have used Auto Reisen in Fuerteventura and using them again in september.They also have a subsidiary called http://www.low-cost-car.com its the same company,same deal but usually cheaper.

Now that Record have pulled out of fuerte and I think Lanza the price of car hire looks set to go up and these are about the best and cheapest.

Whilst some of the cars can be a bit tatty etc at least they do have the obligatory yellow jackets in the glovebox if you get stopped!!
Record are alive and kicking here in Lanzarote airport. Their rep is difficult to find sometimes, but then so are a lot of them who don't have a fixed office!!!! But I have to say that I have been very impressed with the service of Autos Reisen, if my friends experience was normal!!
Just got back from Lanzarote yesterday. Thanks for the reply madsue. I would have replied before I went but my computer screwed up after I installed a MS Critical update for Internet Explorer and now it won't load windows. Thankyou Microsoft ! Anyway, using my Son's until I can sort it out.

I can certainly recommend AutoReisen though. Paid on arrival at the airport (only €120 for a weeks hire of a Seat Ibiza with A/C) and had a quarter tank of fuel on pick up. At the end of the holiday they ask you to leave the car in the same parking spot with the same amount of fuel in the tank and you just hand the key in at the car park kiosk. Like Madsue said, there was no visual check of the fuel level (or car conditon) on drop off - they trust you not to be dishonest which is quite refreshing.
Hi there,

We've booked a Villa in Faro Park in Playa Blanca for a week....only 10 days till were get there :D and we're looking at renting a car for the week.

After reading reviews on here and other forums i reckon i'll book it through AutoReisen.
We quite fancy the Citröen Pluriel as weve never had the opportunity to drive in the sun with no roof.....what can i say, were from Scotland.

The only worry (asides from driving on the other side of the road for the first time :shock: ) is would we have to carry the roof round in the back wherever we went or is it safe enough say going to a beach and leaving it in a car park with the roof off?

Would hate to chance it and then have it prey on my mind all day.

Thanks for your help

Stu
We own a roadster, we live in Scotland :lol: , does not say too much about my sanity!!

Must say driving about with the roof down can't be beat - so go for it. Re leaving the roof off while parked up - I do so - car is perfectly safe, probably even more so in Lanzarote. Only thing I'd suggest is that make sure it's go aircon - even in the UK with the roof off it's nice to get a refreshing blast of chilled air around the car.

PS - have just booked a villa in Faro Park too - heading out there in August. (Many thanks to bawbee) Will be interested to read your comments, if yuo post them, once you get back.
Thanks for the reply - i booked the Citreon yesterday through Auto Reisen - only 7 days till we get there now..not that i'm counting the days or anything...noooo sir!

I'll post a review of the villa in Faro Park when we get back!
Hi,

Going to Lanzarote for a week at the beginning of December with my mum, nan and mum-in-law. I'm going to rent a car for a few days to show them round the island. I was going to pick up and drop off at the airport but we've got free transfers (staying in playa de los pocillos) so thought we could get it delivered to and collected from the hotel. After reading other posts and looking at some sites i can only find Anthon that will deliver to the hotel. Does anyone know of other companies that do this?

I'm almost at the end of my tether with the car thing!!

Thanks.
Are you staying in a resort, Bernie?

There are generally a couple of local companies in most resorts which you could choose from when you get there, and you'll get a good look at the vehicle before money changes hands!

Watch their terms, though.
Hi
We are staying at Riu Paraizo Lanzarote in Playa de los Pocillos.

Thanks
Sorry Bernie, hadn't read your post properly.

I haven't stayed in Playa de los Pocillos but there are definitely local car hire firms in Puerto del Carmen, if you can find your own way there and back.

Have you tried emailing the hotel for advice? Some can be quite helpful.
WE are going to The Arena Papagaya Hotel, Playa Blanca, on the 15th November.
We want to hire a car, can anyone give any advice please?

Are there any pitfalls to watch out for?

Is there any special insurance we need to have?

Any advice please ?
Thanks Marjorie
Hi Marjorie

Good idea hiring a car as the Papagayo Arena is a good bit out of the resort of Playa Blanca.

We generally pick one up at the airport, using http://www.Anthon.com I have heard that http://www.Autoreissen.com are also very good. You can book online, collect your car from the airport and return it at the end of the holiday.

All the cars seem to have a/c and the costs include insurance. You have to be at least 25 for most companies but if you go onto their websites all the info is there. You can get anything from a small compact car right up to a 4x4. The costs are quite good, we paid 120 E for a Corsa.

One thing I would point out, the tank is usually just about empty when you collect the car so make a trip to the petrol station a priority.

Roads are very good over there and generally pretty quiet.

Have a great time. :D :D
Good,clean cars from Anthon Marjorie and the drive to Playa Blanca is virtually one straight road, so you should not encounter any problems at all. I would advise you to take a fluerescent vest in your suitcase, they are not very expensive, but it is the law that you have one in your car and the hire companys do not supply them.
Does anyone know if it is possible to pay Autoreisen for car rental by cash instead of credit card.
Anstruther

I am sure you can, and if they are anything like Anthon you'd be well advised to pay cash, in fact!!! :roll: When we were there in October we tried to pay Anthon by CC and after four attempts we gave up and paid cash... the connection kept getting lost and WE lost at least an hour what with the queue of clients for cars and the cc debacle.

I think we'd give Autoreisen a try next time as we ended up with a pretty ropey, grubby Clio... :( Not impressed and very unusal for Anthon who are very highly regarded usually.
Anstruther

They will definately take cash.

Wilson :wink:
Thanks for your replies,I would prefer to pay cash as reading other postings it appears that you leave the hire car in the car park with no visible checks,what happens if someone comes along and bumps it after you have left it parked at least if I pay cash they wont be able to debit my credit card, maybe I am worrying needlessly.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.