Spain - Canary Islands - Fuerteventura Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Fuerteventura.
Car Hire
36 Posts
We are going to Caleta de Fuste in September for 2 weeks and have decided we would like to hire a car to explore a little. Any tips on where to hire and also how do you pay (never hired a car before!) with cash or with a credit card? Thanks
Also is it really necessary to get a 4x4 or can you get away with something else?
Depending on where you want to travel to you should be ok in a car, unless of course you want to go off road.

Kath HT Admin
We hired a car from Avis in Caleta de Fuste easily found in the parade of shops in the town part.
We hired a Renault Clio for 7 days brilliant for what we wanted to do but with a 4x4 you can go on the roads which are dirt tracks and find some hidden places
We paid cash and they didn't take a swipe of our credit card which I thought they would.
We did have one near miss whilst getting use to driving on other side of road and the roundabouts.

Your have a fab time! :wink:
Thanks for your help :D We really just want the car so we can explore a little on our own, I wouldn't think we would want to go off road.
Hi,

We are off to Correlejo in May.....we havnt booked transfers with the holiday company as we are hoping to hire a car...does anyone know if..

You can pay on collection with cash? and do you need a credit card...we have a new credit card but it only has a small limit on at the moment and as we need a 7 seater it will be likely to cost more than our credit card limit...hence the reason we are hoping to find a company which will allow us to pay cash.

I would be grateful if anyone knows of any such car rental companies if they would let me know..

Thanks
Fluffycat

Have a look at Cicar, who have a very good reputation ( and cars!!) ..I`ve just booked with them, for May and on the confirmation it states they will accept cash. However book using the site http://www.cabreramedina.com its the same company but for some reason its a bit cheaper than their other website.

Think you`ll be ok with them
Hi. We used Cicar last year. Collected and returned the car to the airport (brand new diesel Astra). No problems at all. Would recommend and use again.
Hi - we're out on the island at the end of the month. Can anyone recommend a good car hire company (we'll be in Corralejo). Only looking to hire for a day or so. Decent size though, 2 adults, 2 teenagers.

Any recommendations (or horror stories !!) ?

Thanks
anyone knows any good car hire companys that i can hire over the net to get a car from the airport for two weeks and return to the airport, with out the hassle, no hire a wreck companys needed lol
Merged with existing topic which I have now made a sticky.

luci :wave
People have been having trouble with a company named Record.
on one flight five people did not have cars.
So do not book a car with them .They are cheep but not reliable.
If you hire a car go in to the villages, In La Oliva there is the military colones built in 1708. In Tefia ther is a typical old style Majorero village
where crafts and old working habits are demonstrated to the public.
In Villaverde you have La Rosita an ancient and typical tobacco plantation with its Majorero style buildings.In villaverde there is a Tapas Bar to die for.The best stewed goat on the island It is named Marcos.There are also under ground caves in Villaverde to go round.
Hi all,
Please be aware that when you book car hire with Holiday Autos for Fuerteventura that they use a company called Orlando for their vehicles. There is nothing wrong with Orlando's cars or anything like that, however, they do not have an on site office at the airport, it is in El Matorral on an industrial estate a 10 minute drive from the airport. If you are arriving on a late flight, you might want to book your car hire for the next day to be dropped off at your accommodation. I have seen people waiting for an hour or more just to be picked up by Orlando and they end up having to drive in the dark. Of course if you are not first time visitors than this will not bother you, but I just thought some people might like to know. Alternatively jump in a taxi and ask for the Orlando car hire office instead of waiting for them to come for you. they also have an office on Correlejo main street.
Holiday Autos do have good prices for Fuerteventura so it might be worth the hassle for you but do try Cicar, Avis etc.
Hi,

Thanks for that info. Have booked through holiday autos for when we arrive in a couple of weeks time. It says on our booking details that the car rental partner is Hertz Faycan Canaries and that there is a desk in the arrivals hall. Do you happen to know if there is a desk for Hertz there?

we've had our hire through hertz a couple of times when we've booked with holiday autos.

they do indeed have an office in the airport and you can actually sort the hire out while waiting for the bags to arrive as it is within the arrivals hall
Hi joules79,

Thanks for that :D Counting down the days now 8)
Hi,
I must admit that having lived here for over 18 months I haven't hired a car here for that length of time and when I did I always went for the budget option. Perhaps they have changed suppliers after complaints or maybe it's my fault for being cheap :)
Hi All my wife and i are traveling to corralejo in june and would like to hire a car does any one know if there are facilities at the blue bay or could you recommend a reasonably priced hire firm in the area ;)
Just thought i'd post a quick review of Payless Rent a Car ( http://www.payless.es/ )

The car hire desk is next to the luggage carousels so the car hire paperwork can be completed whilst watching for the cases.

In years of dealing with rental companies i have never seen such a slick and fast procedure and within minutes i had the keys.

There was no fuel to pay for at the desk and we were told to return the car empty. ( it had enough in the tank to get us to the nearest petrol station )

Car booked was a Grp A which turned out to be a new Opel Corsa with A/C and all the extras in mint condition

The Payless car park is reached by going out of the arrivals hall, across the road then turn right and they are the final set of bays next to Cicar (parent Company)

Upon return just park up and return the keys to the Payless desk next to the departure hall

hope this helps
acorns
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.