Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
hi shirley
i would say that la carriheula is really laid back the area is great for the beach but i would not say it is great for bars there is a strip of bars on ave madrid one street back from the prom we were there mid july and can't say it was really busy on a friday night .you can walk to the benalmadena port [10 mins] theres plenty of eateries there or take a taxi to benalmadena there's plenty of cabaret there or 20min walk to the centre of torre you can people watch there . otherwise there's a great street just after the amaragua walk past mojito's bar and you will find many traditional resturants and some bars . personally i would go to carriheula for a quiet break it's not vibrant cheers willie
Thanks for the reply Willie.
We have booked the hotel El Tiburon. I think it's located between Benalmadena and Torremolinos, so we have a choice of the two resorts to visit. Do you think there will be enough places open Easter week (3 week in March)? Thanks
sol
Shirley - we've stayed at Tiburon twice and loved hotel and area. My friend is at Carihuela now and texted me this morning to say a lot more shops and bars open.
Folks,

I am booked to go in Feb to an apartment in Carihuela.
The apt is near the Princesa Kris hotel. Does anyone know that particular area well? Is it far to the shops, restaurants etc.

I have been told the area is quiet, more of a wealthy residential type area.

Has anyone been at beginning of Feb before? We are looking for a quiet break, but obviously need to know if there are restaurants etc open at that time of the year.

Thanks
Jilly
Shirley, I've just got back from La Carihuela and I'm probably the wrong person to reply as I love the place and have done for years.
It's laid back and ideal and as far as I'm concerned, I hope the nearby resorts keep the lager louts and hooligans.
It's a Spanish village that is managing to hold onto its roots and is world famous for its fish restaurants, however, if you want some excitement, then the Puerto at Benalmadena is probably better than Torremolinos and well within walking distance on a flat promenade Torremolinos is hilly and if you don't "do" hills and steps and like a lovely flat promenade, head for the Puerto is my advice, but don't write Torremolinos off, we often walk to the town centre, stopping for a drink and a nosey around, then walk down the hundred of steps at the bottom of Calle San Miguel and onto the flat promenade back to La Carihuela around the "rock that sticks out".

The hotel Tiburon is situated on Calle Nidos and more or less a street back opposite the start of Plaza del Remo and starting from there walking down Calle Bulto towards the rocky point that separates the beaches of La Carihuela and Torremolinos, you will find an abundance of restaurants including, Chinese, Italian, Dutch and some great Spanish places.
From Plaza del Remo on the promenade there are plenty of shops selling all the typical stuff of the Costa's, eg: clothes, fake football shirts, shoes and leather goods....
Calle Bulto runs parallel with the promenade, infact you can walk in a shop on the promenade and come out into Calle Bulto by the 2 entrances that all the shops and restaurants possess.

If you get fed up with Benalmadena Puerto, then a taxi ride to Calle San Miguel which is the main street in Torremolinos should cost less than 8 euros max, it was 5 euros last year from the hotel Pez Espada, the hotel Tiburon is a little nearer but prices may have increased, the prices of a taxi also alter depending on the time of day.

We are 2 old beggars and we think nothing of walking to the Puerto and Torremolinos, but out of the two, then I would say that the Puerto is the more pleasant and easier walk with plenty of bars to trawl (crawl) :lol: into when you get there.

Last Sunday we walked from La Carihuela into Torremolinos and right up into parts of the resort that most tourists never see, past the feria ground and into the pine forests...route of the fantastic San Miguel Romeria....and then back to La Carihuela...phew it was hot.!

Sanji
Thanks very much for that detailed reply Sanji. We'll certainly look out for the places and areas you mentioned. It's good to have some info from someone who knows the area. A week goes by so quickly, at least we'll have an idea where to start walking without wasting time going in totally the wrong direction. By the way I loved the video clip of the area. I think it was you who supplied the clips on this site. Excellent! Was just wondering if you've been there at the end of March? Advice with regards to weather and also will there be enough places open. (It will be Easter week). Thanks again.
Hi Shirley
I've never been at Easter week, but I should imagine that a lot of the Spanish shops will be closed, it is Holy week and to the Spanish it means more than hot-cross buns, it is one of the most important dates on their calendar.

There still should be plenty to do, the ex-pats establishments will be open and the Puerto bars attract people of all Nations all the year round.
You could always book a trip and go to Gibraltar for the day, from as little as €9.50, I know of 2 places in La Carihuela/Montemar where excursions are sold, but there are places in Torremolinos that sell trips on a daily basis.
The weather is anybody's guess, it should be warm during the daytime, but will still be a little chilly at night....been in April (end of) for hubby's birthday.

Sanjiiiiiiiiii
Hi Jillyjeep

Went last February, everything open, weather excellent.
We're headed for this area once again as we enjoyed it so much a few years ago. I know lots of businesses struggled and closed down a year or so ago but I'm hoping that things have picked up again by now.

can anybody give me some up to date info on how things have changed there recently please? Would also like to know how much do the taxis charge these days for the transfer from the airport? I know we also have the option of getting the train.

Thanks for any help. Sanji, Christine W and a few others were a great help to me whilst researching here on my last trip.
Hi Shirley. My wife and I walked all the way along the front when we were there in February / March and most places were open or about to open. There were more people around that I'm accustomed to seeing at that time of year, so signs are good.

The place was busy, most businesses doing well, (especially the various Chiringuitos on the front), and there was generally a good feeling about the place. It's a lovely area and, even though it is around a 45 minute walk from where we have a place at the Torrequebrada end of Benalmadena, we make that walk quite often as we like the area so much. We also need the exercise - but that's another story.

As for taxis, I always hire a car from the airport, but it was 20 - 25 Euros when I last took a taxi, so 25-30 would probably be a fair guess. It's much easier by train now since they modernised the airport, but I can't be bothered with it all so don't use it as a rule.

Hope you have a great time.
Thanks jay jay, glad to hear that the area still seems good. Not long to go for us now so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some good weather. I'm looking forward to the walk into Benalmadena and this time I'm hoping to make it into Torremolinos too. Hubby did the walk around the headland a couple of times when we were last there but I haven't ventured that far yet.

Thanks again for the info.
can somebody tell me if there is a taxi rank situated in la carihuela please? I'm thinking ahead to our departure for the airport at the end of our holiday and it's occured to me that since our hotel is in a pedestrianised area we will not be able to arrange for a taxi to pick us up from the hotel. I think our best bet would be to walk to the taxi rank and pick one up there. Can anybody give me directions to the rank please? Presuming of course that there is one.
Thanks
Looking at the photo below.....
You can see the hotel Cabello on the left with the green awnings....
The pedestrian street straight ahead, there's a taxi rank there...2 mins away....it's outside the apartments that used to belong to the Hotel Las Palomas....if you look at the photo, straight down the street, you can see the apartments hidden behind the tree.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4950/cabello1.jpg

Sanji x
That's brilliant. Not much of a walk then. I'm presuming that's where the taxi from the airport will drop us off too. Thanks Sanji, somehow I just knew you'd come up trumps :tup
..... 6 and a half weeks for us ... starting to get that feel good feeling :cheers
3 days to go :) where would we be able to hire bicycles please? Is there anywhere close to la carihuela? Thanks
Shirley, you could take a look at this website, they're on the Costa del Sol, and I know they deliver and collect too.

http://www.marjimleisureservices.com
Thanks WWAS- just taken a look at that. Hubby would be interested. However, I just wanted somewhere local where I could pick up a bike on the day, depending on my mood. I don't ride a bike at home and thought it might be a change to hop on a bike just for a pedal along the prom between Torre and Benalmadena maybe. If I ordered a bike to be delivered, I'd be commited to go on that day and I'd feel under pressure from hubby who is a keen cyclist :D
thought it might be a change to hop on a bike just for a pedal along the prom between Torre
and Benalmadena maybe.

I shouldn't if I were you, unless you fancy a reprimand or a fine from €750 - €1,500 because it's illegal to ride a bike on the promenade. I know the practice of non-compliance with the regulations seems to prevail at times with the Spanish, but that is the law regarding bikes and promenades.

I wish they'd stop these roller blade skaters too, mark my words that they'll do some serious damage to someone one day, they're all geared up with pads and coming along at break neck speed and YOU have to get out of their way, not the other way around, and if they hit you on the ankle they'll snap it in two.
IMO:Bicycles are for the bicycle lanes that are now springing up and the paseo maritimo is for pedestrians.

There's a hire shop in Torremolinos passed the Don hotels just off the roundabout (Plaza de las Cominidades Autónõmas) it's a bit of a trek to that though and there used to be a place on the car park area of Benalmádena Puerto Marina, near where you go to get the boat for Fuengirola"¦.well not a place exactly, more like a hut.

Sanji
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.