Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
View from one side of the balcony, looking East of Malaga
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/1718/torremolinos076.jpg
The days the sea fret appeared....somewhere is the beach and sea.
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3209/torremolinos018.jpg
Very last dreg ends of the red tide.
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/121/torremolinos027.jpg
A brand new train to Fuengirola
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/8905/torremolinos056.jpg
Spacious, modern, clean and on time.!
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/1345/torremolinos052.jpg

Sanji
Sanji - how envious I am. Having spent a week in La Carrihuela last Easter - I really liked the place - & I don't really "do" Spain. I'm sure one day we will return. What a lovely surprise you had as well ;)
Hi Sanji,
what a fantastic surprise - to see your son sitting on those steps waiting for you :) Nice pictures too. We loved the area when we stayed there last year. Glad you had a great time!
Glad you enjoyed yourself Sanji.We are off to Benalmadena area( El Pinillo.Thats the station in one of your photos?) in 3 weeks time.My son is coming too with his new girlfriend and her young daughters.They are flying from Glasgow,myself and the wife from Bristol.We meet up at Malaga airport.
This will be the first time his girlfriend and daughters have flown,never been abroad before.
Your Hotel is one of the Med Playa group isnt it? Shame the standards are dropping.We normally call in to the Bali, to sample the food which is always first class.Hope the standard has not dropped there.
Will post on our return.
Pipefitter
Thanks Helen and Shirley, I don't know how they managed to keep it a secret between them, but now it all falls into place why my oldest lad asked me on more than one occasion during conversations, which hotel we were staying in....I never thought anything about it, at the time. :roll:

Hi Pipefitter.
Yes, that's El Pinillo station and we timed ourselves from getting off the train and walking into the Hotel Pez Espada, walking through the park and taking the route across the first roundabout and down the hill which brings you out at the Pez Espada (swordfish) roundabout....it took 12 minutes.
We didn't have time to pop in and see our mutual friend at the Bali, maybe in September, but please pass on our regards next time you see him.

The Pez is part of the MedPlaya group, some people may go there and think it's the bees knees, I can only comment based on years of staying there and comparing....I wasn't too happy last year with the ponk and talking to other people last week (strangers) we all came to the same conclusion that the hotel original main building has a problem with the sewage pipes......years ago, I(we) never smelt anything nasty at all and we always go the same two weeks.
I can't honestly say I noticed it apart from in our room and when walking the length of the corridor, but, my OH assures me that he could smell it in other areas downstairs, at times.

I actually wish they would take a lead from the MedPlaya Hotel Regente in Benidorm and paint the corridors pale lemon/blue and get rid of the dated and depressing mustard coloured walls and carpet, that is well passed its sell by date and not befitting of a supposedly luxury four star hotel with four star prices.
I never thought I would say this, but if you took away all the salad dishes, which basically were potato and lettuce mixed with fruit or prawns and the few cold rice dishes, then give me the food in the Hotel Regente any day and if you value your dentures, don't attempt the rock hard rolls.

They attempted a Chicken Tikka Masala one night and unlike the Regente where they have the sense to put some rice on too, all there was, was chips, chips and more chips.
I'm not saying that we'll never go back, but I certainly wouldn't pay the price we have paid for the last few years and I'd be more inclined to stay in the newer annexe part.

One thing I did notice this year was the amount of people from Belgium and Holland staying there, in the past Thomson had the monopoly on the hotel and 70% of the rooms were allocated to the British, but we seemed in the minority last week.....and the distinctive lack of guests from the USA, who usually do the grand tour of Andalucia.

I hope you and your family have a great time, :tup the weather is getting hotter and the mosquitos are more vicious, so make sure your son's girlfriend and daughters go well prepared.

Sanji
Edit for typo error
  • Edited by Sanji 2009-07-02 19:13:12
Hi Sanji

Really pleased you had a lovely time and how fantastic to arrive and to see your son sitting on the steps awaiting your arrival!

We fly out next Wednesday from EMA at 1555, can't wait!!! Had an email from the lady from the hotel asking what time we would be arriving. I explained that we would be catching the train to EP and should hopefully be with them around 9.15 pm. Had an email back asking us to ring the hotel when we get on the train and she will collect us from the station! How kind! The hotel looks lovely, very small and intimate.

Really looking forward to it! Can't wait to have a stroll round Paloma Park and stroll into Torre along the front, visit the Marina etc etc. Did it all a few years ago but had two young lads in tow so had to put up with their constant groaning, so didn't get chance to explore as we would have liked. Just me and Hubby this time though - so can't wait!

Best Regards

Elaine :fly
Hi Elaine
Oooooo, that's really kind of the hotel to come and pick you up at El Pinillo station and will save you the walk.
I was actually thinking about you when we timed ourselves on the route that I sent you via PM and we saw your hotel on the left as we were walking down the hill....we just carried on down the hill and it brings you out at the roundabout with the swordfish/fountains.
Hope you have a lovely time.

Sanji
Hi Sanji
As usual you have done a very interesting report on your Costa del Sol trip, I know you
love La Carihuela, and always look forward to returning there.
I'm pleased you had a really enjoyable holiday, made extra special by the surprise arrival of
your son, from Australia.
Sue

PS thanks for the PM
I felt quite emotional reading your post. What a fantastic surprise! I love hearing about loving families.

Last time we were there, we stayed at the Tropicana - lovely position but don't think the hotel compares to
Pez Espada. Forget the name of the hotel next door - think it begins with a A..... Have you tried it?
We love the area too and hope to visit later on in the year. x
Lovely surprise Sanji - I would have loved to have seen your face when you stepped off the coach - bless him :cheers
Hi Suzie
It was very emotional and I keep re-living the moment in my mind, and I was full of tears again when he got into the taxi to go back to Malaga airport early on Thursday morning......he'd flown out on the Monday and we arrived on Tuesday around 1pm, so, we had the rest of Tuesday and all day Wednesday with him.
He phoned me to say he was safely back in Sydney, but the poor lad suffered an extra 7 hour delay due to a problem with the plane in Abu Dhabi.

The Amaragua.? no not tried it, but made a video of it, which can be found in the video library.
I think if we stay in a hotel, then maybe I would look at the Riu Nautilus, although that hotel is even more expensive than the Pez Espada, but TBH, I got really fed up of the hotel regimentation during the second week, and we got talking to someone and booked a one bedroom apartment near the Sol Aloha Puerto for September.

The apartment has everything in it, so we thought we'd give it a try and go back to s/c "¦at least you can decide on what to eat, etc"¦. hopefully this means we will be able to see the Romería de San Miguel once again and the feria (fair)"¦the Romería takes place on the 20th September this year and the fair runs from the 25th to the 29th of September"¦.we arrive on the 19th. :offtop How's this for a story"¦..
Before we started staying in the Hotel Regente in Benidorm, we had several years in the hotel Los Dalmatas and I (we) got very friendly with a girl who worked behind the reception desk.
Even when we were no longer staying in the Dalmatas, whenever we went to Benidorm, we always popped in to see her and she started a management training course which took her around the other hotels within the hotel group in Benidorm, then since last Christmas we lost contact with her.

I always go to the same place to change my money in La Carihuela (Montemar) and the girl who usually works there, has worked there for years, but guess who is now working there.?
Of all the places in Spain where she could have worked, she left Benidorm to be nearer her family who live in Sevilla and got this job"¦what a small world and what another surprise when we walked into the shop.
She looks so happy, she always looked pale in Benidorm, but now out of the uniform, she looks like a typical Andalucian senorita and she has a flat in Torremolinos and bikes it home everyday because of the car parking problems, on Sundays, she goes home to see her family, just over two hours drive away, so, you're right Suzie, loving families are important.
I bet anyone walking on the street would have thought we'd both gone do-dally with the besos (kisses) hugs (abrazos) and screams of delight (carcajadas) :oops: :rofl
Small world.!

Sanji
Good to hear from you Sanji. Indeed a small world. (Unless you have a son in Sydney!)(Our Son aged 36 today is getting married tomorrow so I should be getting ready for the weekend instead of writing this!!!!)
That's it - the Amaragua. Thanks. Next time we visit, we were thinking of either the San Miguel or Plazamar apartments because position and level walks are our main priorty. There are so many restaurants in the area, I think it might be nice to try self catering (never have before). The food at the hotels we have visited in Torremolinos and Bene leaves a lot to be desired so maybe an apartment might suit us. What is the name of the apartment you are staying in September?
Bye Suzie
Ahh Sanji . I am chuffed to bit's for you that you got to spend time with your dear son . I know what a struggle it's been for you since he went and can only imagine how you felt when you thought you wouldnt be seeing him .

Obviously I'm glad you had a lovely holiday but I can't think of a better surprise than that and no doubt that was a huge cherry on the cake . :kiss

lyn x
Hi Sanji fantastic report as usual. How wonderful for you to have your son meet you at the hotel, it will have been the icing on the cake to a perfect holiday.

Not wanting to pull the Bali hotel down but we did notice that the choice was not as good this year as when we had visited 3 years ago, the tables weren`t set either which will have been to save time in clearing tables thus allowing guests to be seated quicker. I still would visit again but I was a little dissapointed with food choice oh was ok as he will eat anything.I am sure this is where the hotels are making cut backs.

The drains you mention, we noticed at El Tiburon which was not too far from you that we had to keep the toilet lid down as the smell came up but we thought it was just the hotels system. Whilst we were there at the Tiburon the road was been dug up to put new drainage in, would have thought this would have sorted the problem but obviously hasn`t.
Hi Sanji :wave:

Just read the whole thread, so pleased you had a good holiday, but a shame the hotel is not as good as it once was, it will good to have a change into an apartment in September and then you can regroup and think about where you want to stay next time you want an hotel.

What a fantastic suprise for you, I am sure you could not beleive your eyes when you saw him sitting on the steps. So pleased for you :kiss as I know you must miss him so much. I am sure it is a moment that you will keep re-living in your mind and will continue to give you great pleasure. Such thoughtful sons to organise it in this way.

Lovely pictures as well.

Doe :wave
This time tomorrow we'll be on our way to La Carihuela! Can't wait! :sun2

Would like to say a massive thank you to everyone on here for their help re train from airport into the resort, particularly Sanji (and thanks for the map too!). :ghug Will let you know how we get on!

Hope the weather picks up here in the UK.

Best Regards

Elaine :fly
Christine we stayed at the El Tiburon at Easter last year. We thought it was a lovely place to stay for what we paid - very central & very clean

The drains you mention, we noticed at El Tiburon which was not too far from you that we had to keep the toilet lid down as the smell came up but we thought it was just the hotels system.
Sorry this happened as the apartments are in a lovely location.
Thanks everyone for your kind comments and Elaine I hope you have a lovely time. :tup

I've read that the hotel El Tiburon is up for sale and I tend to agree with another poster on another forum, that the new owners will want to spend some money on it, and upgrade it from the "cheap and cheerful" establishment that it is.....
The Tiburon was built in 1963 and the majority of the hotels tend to be 3 and 4 star establishments...mostly 4 *

La Carihuela is getting more and more popular and from a purely selfish point of view, I hope that the resort continues to hold the Spanish fishing village charm that I've enjoyed for 14 years.
La Carihuela village itself is a protected area, so any "high rise" horrors are totally out of the question.

The hotel Roc Lago Rojo that I stayed in a couple of years ago, was like a hotel of two halves, the front of the hotel which most TO's and websites show, was entirely different to the back of the hotel and around the swimming pool, it was as though they'd run out of finances and the rooms at the back were dismal, dirty and depressing, but now they have spent money on these rooms and replaced the old iron bars on the balconies with glass ones (like the front) and cleaned up the pool area, they've also added an extra floor to the hotel, but one floor was all they were allowed because of the protection order.

The Hotel Las Palomas has had some sort of refurbishment (renovación) and there was still the billboard attached to the wall outside by the side of the entrance, from the construction company who got the contract.....I believe it's gone from a 3 star to a 4 star, but some would say it's only bordering on a 4 star rating, it's a bit like the hotel Regente in Benidorm, it definitely isn't a 2 star, but there are better 3 star hotels.

The gigantic hole/foundations for the Hotel Cruiser in the Montemar area is still the same as it was in June 2008 and there was no sign of any work being carried out.
I did read that Torremolinos "council" have had their knuckles rapped by the Andalucian government for giving planning permission for this hotel to be built because it is not in keeping with the surrounding area and the typical Andalucian premises, I whole heartedly agree with them, but the company have gone too far by spending millions on the foundations, and it seems due to the recession they have suspended any more work, and therefore they will not meet the proposed deadline for completion, but they are hoping the delay will ride out the present global financial problems.

The nasty smells.? Well I think we have all experienced them at some time and place in Spain, but I'm talking about a toxic stench that definitely is not good for your health, and we had to keep the toilet lid down and flush the chain a few times before we dare lift the lid up....not my idea of a 4* hotel and we are convinced they have a breakdown somewhere in the hotel sewage network.
If we have never smelt it in all the years before, why do we smell it now.? :que The main building was built 50 years ago and they don't build them like that anymore, the walls are thick and you hear nothing from next door, and I would imagine it needs a total "gutting" of the building to get to the problem....but that's just my opinion, I'm no architect or builder.

I was talking to my OH about this post and he said, in his opinion "the Pez Espada is living on its past reputation and the fact that celebrities like Sean Connery, Frank Sinatra, Sophie Loren and King Juan Carlos (to name just a few) have stayed there in the past"......that was the past and today is now.!

Sanji
Helen were there no smells when you were at the Tiburon.

I have just spoken to my oh about when we were there and he reackoned the smell was because the bath an toilet didn`t have a trap on the wasteoutlet (he`s a caretaker and does alot of repairs) hopefully the new owners will upate the bathrooms and get rid of the smell. We didn`t complain about the smell as it was a short stay and we had a fantastic time. I think the fact that it was a pension type hotel didn`t bother us. Sanji I would be bothered if I had stayed where you did as I would expect better of a 4 star.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.