Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
I point blank refuse to pay extortionate prices for two sunbeds and a parasol, which like stated earlier , are often in poor condition.

I'd rather spend 8 Euro on a parasol and lay on our towels - call me tight - but i HATE being ripped off!

We got ripped off big-time at the airport. 2 Egg sandwiches, 2 packs of crisps, 1 diet coke and 1 pint of local beer - 26 Euros! :evil:

Still, the money I saved by not hiring sunbeds and parasol for 3 days paid for that!!

We used to take our own sandwiches etc through, but were stopped a few years ago. Does anyone know whether you can take your own food through now - I am seriously considering it!!!!

Elaine :fly
Elaine you could eat your food before you go through security. We fly out from Leeds Bradford and they have a Greggs. We always take food from there onto the plane.

Never, ever pay for sunbeds. Geoff sometimes buys a lilo and I buy a beach mat. Otherwise we just use towels. We never stay on the beach long enough to make it worth it. The long cool lager beckons too quickly when we go in July.

Does anyone know if El Tiburon still has happy hour. We try to make it back for that. The pool is always quieter that time of day.
Hello Elaine,
I think the security issue at the airport is against taking liquids through.
100ml maximum.
Any soft drink/water has to be given up before you pass through the scanning area. We take sandwiches through in our hand luggage & eat in the cafe.
Or have a cheap meal before we set off back to the airport.
The excessive sunbed charge just drive people away from the beach to sit round to pool or provide their own beach furniture.
We are always looking for portable sunloungers & parasol that is`nt too bulky. I`m sure we`d get our money back in a year or so.
What i don`t understand is how they arrive at 8 / 9Euros?
It is greed by the authorities

Hi Adrian.
I suppose like any other business, if the rates go up (which you could say is greed by the authorities) then the price increase will be passed down to the paying customer.
They have to pay business rates according to the square area they take up on the beach, the Chiringuitos (beach bars) also have to pay according to the sq area they occupy to the Coasts Department at the Environment Ministry.

There was a big demonstration recently before a meeting in Malaga by the owners and waiters of the beach bars and the Chiringuitos, the Chiringuitos were to be closed down on the 15th October, but they finally agreed as long as they don't exceed 100 square metres, they are "safe" for the time being or at least until the end of this year.

The Prime Minister got involved after a meeting with the president of the Andalucian Government and said that from 2010 the beach bar owners will have to negotiate their concessions and licences with the Junta de Andalucia, instead of the Coasts Dept.

I can't understand why anyone would want to get rid of the Chiringuitos when they have been there for 30/40 years, and they and their sardine roasting terraces are a big attraction for tourists, they are part of everything that is Andalucia. :que

Sanji
I understand from reading the Spanish newspapers that the directive regards the Beachside resturants is from the EEC & covers all Europe.
They do add to the ambience & atmosphere of the Costa del sol resorts.
Playa San Miguel on of the more popular ones @ La Carihuela was on one of Kieth Floyds cooking in Spain programmes a few years ago.
I must say that Playa San Miguel & El Ninos lead the way in presentation & looking after the holiday maker & the council should take note as to how to attract & develop tourism.

Adrian
I can't give an opinion about the state of every wooden sun-bed on the CDS, but, I really must defend Playa Alonso which is just up from the hotel Pez Espada .
This man (Alonso) is forever painting, repairing and tending to the "garden" he has planted on the beach and last year he had a delivery of brand new mattresses.
The guy even paints the flag stones with a different design every year and rakes the sand perfectly smooth every evening/morning :lol: He walks around with a kiddies fishing net to pick up the cig ends when people haven't used the ash trays he has made and attached to the post of the parasol.
I don't think he goes home, I'm convinced he sleeps below the promenade where he stores all the beds/mattresses during the winter months.

I had no problem paying 9 euros when in real pound terms, it was about 6 quid or £3 each, including a parasol for a day, you can be on that bed at 9 am and leave at passed 7pm, in the summer months.
IMO:It's the exchange rate, nearly £9 a day, that's what's definitely killing it this year. :bawl

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/6748/alonsoa.jpg

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8731/alsono1.jpg

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/8035/alonso2.jpg

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/3079/alonso4.jpg
At night, the garden bits are all lit up........Thanks to ImageShack for hosting.

Sanji
Hi Elaine
We stopped buying an airline meal a couple of years ago after two disgusting presentations of something they classed as food. :yuck
Since then, we always make up a couple of either egg or ham "bread baps" and take a packet of crisps, which we eat on the plane and we just buy a tea or coffee when they come down the aisle with the trolley.
I've never been stopped when taking food from home onto the plane, liquid's are a different matter.

Hi Anne.
Don't worry, nothing radical has changed, a few bars here and there have closed and it's mainly up in Montemar where all the British/Irish bars are situated and a couple of Spanish restaurants on the promenade, which have been there for years, sadly,they have hit the dust too.
If the British are not going because of the poor exchange rate and they only visit British bars, then it's inevitable that the British bars will be the worse affected.
Although having said that, Rumour's bar seems to be doing quite well, they have Sky sports and they also show all the British soaps back to back in the evenings.
It's hard to say really because some of these bars are full first thing in the morning and right up to dinner-time, with people from the surrounding apartments buying a cooked breakfast, and that's where one bar owner told me he is "making ends meet", but walk past at night and there isn't a soul in them.

The only bar that I know of doing live entertainment is the British bar called "El Mojito" at the top of Calle Bulto, just passed Plaza del Remo....I don't know if any of the British/Irish bars in Montemar have anything going on, I doubt it, but, I can't say for certain because I usually head down into Carihuela village at night.
La Carihuela isn't that kind of resort and most people head for either Benalmadena Marina, Torremolinos or into Benalmadena itself for such things as disco's, tribute shows, singers and comedians.
Although, there is nothing stopping you from walking into one of the hotels like the Pez Espada, Sol Aloha Puerto or Barracuda and watching the hotel entertainment, as long as you buy a drink, which during the present economic situation they should welcome you with open arms.

I don't think La Carihuela will be like a ghost town, it might be quieter than in the past with the lack of British tourists in the British bars, especially on the "strip" in Montemar, but it's a very popular place for the Spanish and the Dutch, who both use "their bars""¦.sorry, I can't help you with "Tom's Cabin".

I wouldn't read too much into the amount of properties for sale, I accept there will be a higher percentage than normal from those who have decided to call it a day because of the economic situation, but, there are others who might just be relocating to a better position within the resort or another part of Spain, or they always planned on retiring in 2 years anyway, so, considering that it can under normal situations take that long and sometimes longer to sell a place, they start advertising as soon as they have made their plans.
Just my opinion of course.

I'm sure you'll have a great time, if this is your 4th visit, you must like the resort. ;)

Sanji
Hi everyone,
just want to say that we loved the area when we visited last year over Easter. Sanji's asked me to reply to the El Tiburon queries. From what I remember, it isn't really suitable for the disabled as there are too many steps. To get to the pool you have to venture out of reception, down 5 or 6 steep steps and I don't recall seeing a lift, I'm afraid.

Yes, the hotel is a little tired looking but it was spotlessley clean and the staff were very friendly. They put on a great breakfast too. It does need a bit of tender loving care, but having said that it was the cheap and cheerful price that was one of the reasons for our booking. If they are going to upgrade, spend lots of money and turn it into a 3 or 4 star, then it might turn out to be too costly for travellers just looking for 'cheap and cheerful' as we were.

One last thing - we had a lovely holiday and would consider returning if we could get the same value for money. Hope this has been of some help.
Thanks Sanji and Shirley. This is our 4th visit to El Tiburon and really looking forward to it now. I don't mind the no breakfast as I am not much of a morning eater but Geoff is disappointed. Will have to take him for a nice full English late morning.

Love the area but think we might give it a miss next year as can't think of anything we have not done. Love the park at Benalmadina - think that's my favourite bit. Love Carihuela as it is so easy to get around and the transport system is good, lots of places to visit that are not too far away. Just looking forward to a nice few days in the sun.
Hi Sanji asked me to give feed back on El Tiburon.
Happy hour was on 3 years ago each day but not sure now if it still is.The bar area was small but very cosy.Staff friendly,rooms cleaned each day and fresh towels.It had a more personal feel to it than most larger hotels.
Room only seems to be the package that booking agents are offering at the moment for El Tiburon which is a shame as the breakfast was nice, not full english but a good start to the day.
We stayed for 4 nights at the El Tiburon and we were more than happy, yes the rooms were small but adequate. We only paid £68 for bb for 4 nights for 2 adults and a child, which was an excellent price, we couldn`t stay in our own caravan on a site in this country for that price. We booked at the last minuite and got cheap flights so this short break in Febuary was an extra bonus and proved to be a very enjoyable one. The surrounding area even in February was busy enough.

I am sure that there was a road at the back of the hotel that was level and that the pool area could be accessed from there, I might be wrong, we didn`t use the area as it was February.Access to the reception was up steps and the lifs were very narrow, I doubt a wheel chair would go in.
Thomson`s used to do this hotel and from previous retail travel experience they used to have the dimmentions of rooms, lifts and access, you could ring them for advice and pretend you are wanting to book but personally I wouldn`t recomend it unless the wheelchair was only needed now and again if it is the main mode of mobility then stay in a larger hotel
I would return to El Tiburon but if reburbished I hope they don`t take away it`s charm.

ps i am sure there is somewhere you won`t have seen yet, we always find somewhere each time we visit, have you used the train and visited surrounding areas ?
Hi Anne :wave: Just to say Toms Tavern is still there..or it was 3wks, Dave & Jean are still very fine hosts, and all the staff are pleasant..we did find Benal more quiet than Montemar, returning again in Oct so hope its a bit busier then...but whatever we still enjoy our long stay.. :tup
Thanks for your replies. Glad Tom's Tavern is still open - will be one of our first stopping off places as we will be arriving early evening.

Just to clear something up. I am not disabled, just thought with the new regulations the pool and dining areas would not be accessible to wheelchairs which might be why there was no breakfast. The only access is down the steps.

Yes we use the train from the airport and for trips to Malaga, Fuengirola, etc. Have been to Mihas and Rhonda in the past. Geoff fancied Granada but I think its too far to travel on a hot day and have not found a way of getting there on public transport. Don't want to hire a car or go on an organised trip. Will probably do the things we have done before - boat trip to see the dolphins (or not see them), walk into Torremolinos, walk into Benalmadena, Italian ice cream from the marina, train to Fuengirola, walk through Benalmadena park. Can't wait!
It was supposed to be May 2010

Cheers, for some strange reason I thought it was 2012, still doubtful for then by the looks of it.
No special opening offers for a long time yet then, if ever.

Robby :wink:
We had lunch at a lovely little bar on the sea front called The Dark Side of the Moon. Just sold simple snacks at reasonable prices and the owners were very friendly.

We spent many happy lunchtimes at this little place. Everyone there was so friendly and went out of their way to make sure you were happy. The 1st time we called there one of our party asked for something they didn't have ( can't remember what for the moment). Anyway the next time we called it was there. I remember remarking that one of the waitresses reminded me of " Shirley Valentine " - she could have been a great double.
Yes, she was known to us as Shirley Valentine for the rest of the holiday. It was Strongbow cider that was requested Helen by Eifion's missus - they had a few cans cooling in the fridge the next time we called. Now that's what you call service :)
hello, i am off to spain shortly self-catering with my grandchildren, and i wouls like to know if you can take VACCUM packed cheese, bacon, etc., in you HOLD luggage
and know we could years ago, but cannot get any info as yet.. either from the airport, or travel company.. help

carol
Hi all
Just letting you know have now booked my room at the El Tiburon with Travel Republic. Got the confirmation and hotel voucher straightaway even though I was told it could be up 12 hours. :tup Now going to book the flight !

Dawnie-Rob :wave
Ive also just booked a private apartment for next july in the Carihuela Palace Park complex, just need to wait on flights being released now.
Dawnie-Rob, I'm sure you'll have a great time at the El Tiburon. We also booked through Travel Republic and felt we had a real bargain with no problems whatsoever. Enjoy!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.