Camping and Caravanning UK and Europe

Discussions regarding camping and caravanning in the UK and the rest of Europe.
Carlisle Area
14 Posts
Carlisle castle, Penrith castle (ruins), Keswick Pencil Musuem, Grasmere - Wordsworth's cottage and the Sarah Nelson Gingerbread shop, travel the Settle-Carlisle railway for superb views, Gretna Green for its forge and marrying place, and if you are travelling up the M6, I highly recommend a snack/loo stop at Tebay services ...... very clean, inspiring gift shop(!), excellent home-made food and a lovely location in which to relax a bit!
Hi
Thanks for the reply - these are the things that would suit us - now all we need is somewhere to stay.
Any other suggestions are very welcome.
Irene
If you have your own caravan I can recommend Keswick. Someone we know took his caravan there for us a few years ago and we had a great break. The site is on the banks of the lake but is only 5 minutes walk from the centre of town.
Not as far up as Carlisle, but a nice caravan park is Doe Park at Cotherstone near Barnard Castle in Co. Durham. Nice area, fair bit to see, and still within reach of Carlisle for a drive out.
Hi
We are looking for a static caravan park, maybe have to re-think our destination as there do not seem to be many in the Carlisle area so maybe somewhere about 45mins from Carlisle and within the same drive time to other areas of interest that I have mentioned.
Many thanks for your replies.
Irene
Irene, dont give up on Carlisle! Excellent place to visit and so much to do. Stanwix caravan park at Silloth is the biggest park in the area.

However there are smaller caravan parks like

http://www.theglen.co.uk

and good fishing just up the road at

http://www.bowmanfishman.fsnet.co.uk/West%20Pond.htm

Hope there of some use to you.
Hi
Thanks for the info.
Have emailed The Glen for availability. Really want to visit the area.
Will let you know and thanks again for your help.
Irene
Hi
Have just emailed the sites you mentioned - thanks.
Spent most of last night checking availability hope we get something suitable soon.
Irene
Hi
JUst to let you know we booked a caravan with Hoseasons.
Mini break starting 27/10/08.
Thanks for all your ideas/help and suggestions.
Irene
Which site are you staying on, Irene?
We are staying on a Hoseasons site - Tarnside Park in St. Bees - looks very quiet.
Looks like a good base to explore although we are only there for 5 days.
Does anyone know if Carlisle is good for shopping? :tup
Irene
Probably too late for this answer but Carlisle is great for shopping! One of the best cities I've been to for shopping. All the major names but plenty of smaller shops as well.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.