Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
We've been to Rimini twice (7 nts and 5 nts). On both visits we popped into Cattolica also.

Personally I think both are nice, but I'd still go back to Rimini, and take the bus into Cattolica for a visit. Rimini has an old town, more shops (non touristy ones in the old town) and has some tourist attractions too.

On our first visit we stayed at hotel metropole. It's a 3* with small pool, although it was too cold to use when we were there (poor weather). To be honest we liked the beach anyway, as it was so well maintained. Hotel basic, but ok, and at the time (not sure about now) there was a scottish receptionist who was excellent for local info. Also our favourite restaurant nearby (Joe's pizzeria).
http://www.hotelmetropole.it I think.

Next visit Hotel Mercure La Gradisca, which we didn't like. Location was excellent (nearer to train station than hotel metropole), but the room wasn't so good, small and badly finished and supposed to be 4*. We had a successful complaint with the hotel chain and had a most pleasant stay in Rome for our troubles.

I don't have a clue what the hotels are like in Cattolica. A lot look small/basic etc. I'm sure there should be some better ones.

If you want something more 4* in Rimini, the hotel Le Meridien (the chain) looks good. It has some nice shops underneath too.
Hi Lesley

Thanks for your reply. At the moment I can't find any operators that deal with the Hotel Metropole but I will keep looking.

Thanks again

smee94 :lol:
Don't think any of them do deal direct! You'd have to do a flight only + hotel. If it's any help, you could fly ryanair from Stansted (or possibly others) to Forli, then take a train to Rimini or Cattolica (45 mins approx). The train is cheap, about 8 euros or something like that, maybe even less.

Flights are from about £30 pp, and hotel is from about £50 per room per night, so can work out quite a cheap holiday. Also airtours do flights from manchester if that's any help.

We flew Glasgow to Stansted with easyjet, then ryanair to Forli.
Hi Smee,
You will like Cattolica. It is'nt, indeed as others have said, an old Italian town but has a certain type of charm that is enjoyable on a warm summers evening. Most people venture to the main square during the evening and it is particularly popular with the Italians themselves.
When we last visited they had a colourful fountain display accompanied by various pieces of music. Everybody dresses up for the evening and people sit outside the considerable number of cafes drinking wine and coffee. The whole atmosphere is enjoyable, and unlike most Spanish bars of the British type, you will find that your eardrums are not constantly being blasted with loud pop music. You can actually sit and have a civilized conversation. TV's don't seem to feature, certainly not with the constant deluge of Sky Sports.
The beaches are very crowded but each hotel has it's own allocation of a particular part of the beach, complete with sun loungers and sun shades.
Twice we have visited San Marino by local bus service - takes about 40 minutes, if that. It is built on the top of a summit and likes to regard its self as being a separate nation from Italy. It's very picturesque and a great place to enjoy a bite to eat.
One final point that we noticed, was that wewhen went on a trip it was necessary to be up and about earlyin the morning. Needless to say at 5.30 am, there were very few people about. But what we found refreshing was how clean the streets were, despite the large numbers of people seen in the town the night before. I could only conclude that the people in that town take a lot of pride in the place and obviously the roads are swept during the night.
Regards. :) :)
Hi all

Thanks for your replies. I will research all ideas & then we will go where my wife decides.

Thanks again.

smee94 :shrug
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.