Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Caves at Nerja
10 Posts
The drive to Nerja from Malaga would only take you around 45 mins. It's motorway all the way and once you clear Malaga the road isn't busy.

It doesn't take very long to go through the caves so why not make a day trip of it and maybe visit one of the Nerja beaches, or maybe one of the others on route?
There is a nice donkey sanctuary in Nerja that your kids may enjoy. Another suggestion would be a visit to the water park at Velez.
The area to the east of Malaga is quite different in many ways to the west and in my opinion, well worth a visit.
Gibraltar caves are also very popular, not seen them myself but these are in the opposite direction. This could also be a day out for the family.
The Gibraltar caves are worth a visit but I don't think the have the stalagmites. I can't recall seing any.
Thanks for all the info, could you tell me what we should wear inside the caves, I mean trainers or will flip flops/sandals be ok? And Kayley tell me more about the donkey sanctuary, will we find it ok? Has anyone any web addresses i can look at about these caves and the donkey sanc? I can't find very much about the Nerja caves.
Donkey sanctuary website HERE :wink:

Caves info HERE, opening times HERE.

Pippy :D
I was fine going around the caves in flip flops. There are a lot of steps though so it would be safer for the kids to wear trainers.

The Sanctuary web site gives the location so I won't attempt to give directions, but as it's on one of the main roads in and out of Nerja, it's not difficult to find. It is tucked back off of the road a little, so not too easy to see from the road, you do have to look for it, if that makes sense.
The Nerja caves are quite easy to find. Just past Nerja and signposted "Cuevas de Nerja".

Alan
I have seen the caves at Maro(Nerja) three times!They are mindblowing!!!Well worth a visit!!
They are easier to negotiate than they used to be,the children will be fascinated.There are picnic area and a nice restaurant there also.
The history of how they were found is very interesting too.There is a little museum where you can watch a film about it

Sheila M
Thank you all very much for the info, we will def be visiting the Nerja caves as hubby likes the sound of them and great to know there is a picnic area too.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.