Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Have I put this thread in the wrong place?

I would be really grateful for some guidance.

Thanks
Your in the right place, hopefully somebody will answer you soon.

Sarah
I have travelled many a times by ferry to the Netherlands. If you take the fast ferry offered through Stenaline you will find the least effects of a choppy sea as the ferry is lifted from the sea surface.

If, however, you were to travel by conventional ferry, the effects of the sea will be greater.

Hope this information is to use.

Mark :D
Hi
As Mark said the Stenaline fast ferry to the Hook of Holland is very good, but if you live anywhere near Hull you should take the overnight P&O service to Rotterdam. We used this service 17 years ago when we lived in Germany, and the ships were brand new, and very big, since then they have upgraded the ships again, and this time they are huge. If the seas are rough, as the North Sea can be, these ships are so big, and with their modern stabilisers, you'll hardly notice a thing. The facilities on board are great as well, lovely cabins, nice restaurants, and bars. As P&O say in their brochures it's like having a mini-cruise before starting your holiday. :D
Thanks to you both for the info.
We plan to use Stena from Harwich and had considered using the overnight ferry on the outward journey and the HSS fast ferry on return.
Can you tell me if there are any restrictions on taking food on the ferry.We would like to take as much food as we can(fussy kids!)but not sure if we would be allowed to take things such as milk or yogurts.
Is there a website that might be able to tell me if there are any restrictions?
Thanks
I used to take food on board to consume during the crossing and nobody objected to me consuming it.

Have since found out that on the fast ferry there is a "eat as much as you can" restaurant on the front of the ship at a reasonable price.

Mark :D
I hope I'm not too late in replying, as I've only just found this bullitin board (we called them that in the old days of the web!).

I feel like an expert on Center Parcs in the Netherlands - over the last 9 years we've been to each of the 'Original' parcs at least once, some several times.

I have to make the outstanding amount on Friday for our Xmas / New Year CP holiday.

It started when we wanted to get away the year after the birth & death of our 1st daughter, and that happened over the Xmas / New Year period - so what better place to go than a site full of children? Well - the kids were not english speaking & Xmas is slightly lower key there - it worked well for us, and as an added bonus, there was a really cold spell. The lake at de Huttenheugte froze over - not just skating on it but I was jumping up and down on it (and I'm quite heavy). New year is a very big celebration there. Lots of fireworks

We've since been back with our 2 children (now 7 & 6) and to Longleat (much closer to us, but we've not been for 5 years or so).

Living in the west country (Glos), with my mother in Surrey, we tend to go now via the Channel Tunnel, stopping off en-route. To break the journey, this time we're booked into a hotel near Brugge on the way out & Calais on the way back. We have done the journey in one day quite easily, but thsi way you get most of the first day there, get chance to stop at a supermarket (Albert Hijn) en route, and on the last day have a leisurely pack up while the children are in the kids club, rather than having to be away at a silly time.

Back to basics. Center Parcs (CP) in the UK is now run by a separate company from EU, but they do still have a working relationship. Prices in the European parcs are a lot cheaper than UK - at least 33% - however, even then different nationalities pay different prices (supposedly to cover the cost of extra language translation, etc). 3 years or so ago, CP bought up 5 other parcs - 3 in NL, 2 in Germany - these are marketed as CP Free Spirit or Sea Spirit, and are cheaper than the Original parcs. They have less facilities, I believe.

As well as the 5 'Original' parcs in Netherlands, there's 2 in Belgium (very close to the dutch border, south of Eindhoven), a couple in France & one in Germany. As in England, each parc has different features. If you can get hold of a dutch language brouchure, there's a handy * system for quality of facilities at each parc (I have one if anyone wants to know). For kids, there is a show called Pe Pe Te Ve - with 4 characters; whilst the show is in dutch (with little bits of german in some parcs), there's a little English especially if they know theres English children in, and are very easy to follow the plot - my children love the characters (all of whom can speak english outside the show). They run the childrens disco, and pop up around the site from time to time. The same actors are also involved in the adult evening shows - basically pop songs with a linking theme - the last show I saw there was entirely in English. While the shows are late, many children stay up to watch. Can be naff, but mildly entertaining - or at least, different! Most also have small 'kinderboerderij' - childrens farms - with toy tractors, goats, sheep, calves, chickens, rabbits.

De Eemhof is not very far from Amsterdam - close enough to drive to the Ajax stadium & get the park & ride in for a day trip. Many of the shops are 'outside' - off a courtyard by the pool. The sports center is not too far away. We were on our way there when the Essex parc burnt down - bizarre, as de Eemhof had just reopened after a fire, and we ended up in the company of many English people. Special feature - sailing is available just outside the parc. Surroundings: flat. In fact, most are flat, though there are some slight hills at Het Heijderbos - well, bumps - enough to make a one gear bike annoying. Stars for kids: 0-4 3*, 4-12 4*, 12-17 5*.

Het Heijderbos - to east of the country, just below Nijmegen (but in season, take a trip to the Arnhem Open Air Museum - would have kept the children occupied for 2 days - just avoid driving past the zoo first, with its huge play area). Special feature - Jungle Dome - a separate dome with hugh adventure playground & tropical vegetation, small cafe. Next door is sports hall, although that is now mainly kiddies play area - quite good, though (and a bar for a quick coffee). I think this one also has a red & black/white squirrel sanctuary! Stars for kids - (same ages as above - 3*, 4*, 4*)

De Kempervennen - just below Eindhoven & probably the closest to UK, so quite a few UK visitors. This was one of the first Center Parcs. Special Feature - Indoor Ski Slope (real snow) - so available all year round. There's also a padi diving school. Open Air Ice rink in nearby Valkenswaard over Xmas. Also use Valkenswaard for shopping, rather than Eindhoven - smaller, but good selection, including an Albert Hijn supermarket (lovely selection of ready prepeared ingredients, rather than so many ready meals). We've been at least 3 times to this one, including Millennium New Year (brilliant fireworks at midnight). Children: 3*, 3*, 4*.

De Huttenheughte - North East of NL- haven't been there for 9 years, so may have changed. 25m pool as well as traditional CP pool. Chinese restaurant. Observatory, play ship on lake, close to german border (cycling distance). The lake is very large & takes some time to walk round, & I think this is the most spread out of the parcs. Children 4*, 4*, 4*.

Het Meerdal - Just to east of Eindhoven. in-line Skating in summer, ice skating in winter. Nothing really unusual about this parc. 4*, 4*, 3*.

We're off to Erperheide in Belguim (between Eindhoven & Hasselt) for Xmas / New Year - A big indoor play area will be occupying us, I think. Not too far from the Belgium National Gin Museum in Hasselt (closed in January), so we should just make it! 5*, 5*, 3*

Restaurants. There's the 'S' restaurant - Sapinnier / Sabine.... which is the ' top notch' one - however, note that they are more laid back that the Longleat one - waiters are not in DJ's, although the food is as good. H - Harolds / Henry's - is the family restaurant - Tex mex.There's also a buffet restaurant with a different theme each night (and great breakfast buffets). There's always a Pannekoek Huisje for pancakes & poffertjes (small puffy pancakes) and a burger kiosk - frites met mayo/fritsaus.

Also available at some are pizzas delivered to your door. You can also book a fondue or hot-stone for your cottage, supplied with all the meats (yuck). Some cottages (VIP) come with a free delivery of rolls to the door each day for breakfast, and this can be arranged for others.

Sports. People go on holiday to relax, so there's less emphasis on sports. There's say 8 tennis courts when the UK would have 16. But it is still there if you need to work up an appetite. I'm told that when the first one opened in the UK they were stunned that all the facilities got booked up so early & they had to build more.

Hints for Xmas/New Year - get bookings in for restaurants before you go (you should be sent a pack a couple of weeks before hand detailing the opening times) - especially if you have special diet needs. We're veggie, which is no problem in Netherlands at all, but the message didn't get through for our millennium dinner - so a very panicked head chef rustled something unconventional but interesting up! Also book up baby sittters if you need one - English speakers can be found - very reasonable prices for an evening out.

Down side: Once we had a cottage that stank of pet urine. We had to abandon one bedroom (luckily we'd booked a room each for the children), but the park was full, so we could not be moved. However, they did their best and we got a free meal & toys for the children, amongst other things - that's our only bad experience.

So hope that's useful.

Mark Rogers
Lots of helpful info there Mark - thanks :tup
Wow Mark thats great!
Thanks so much for all the info.
We are hoping to go to De Kempervennen so any further info on this park would be gratefully received.
Hubby is now saying that he would like a traditional xmas dinner-is that possible or is it going to be hard to get turkey on xmas day?
I can't wait to hear your comments!
Thanks
Tina
Xmas dinner. I'm really not sure what they do in the restaurants. Their main Xmas meal is on Christmas Eve, and when we were there at Christmas, I'd taken all my ingredients for Xmas lunch.

Note that there is NO oven in the cottages. There is a microwave, but I'm not sure that it's turkey sized (and I certainly would not recommend cooking a whole turkey in one for food safety reasons). We happen to be veggie, so I seem to remember last time cooking a special steamed pudding with mushrooms, chestnuts, little whole onions and the like. There are 4 rings on the cooker, so you can get plenty of veg cooking at the same time.

You will (or should) be sent details of opening times at the restaurants a couple of weeks before you arrive, so you can book up in advance for Xmas lunch if you want to eat out. You should also get a list of what can be pre-purchased from the shop & delivered to your cottage for when you arrive (although you might have to chase this & it could be in dutch) - but it's quite easy to understand. The executive chef when we last went was called Geert and very, very helpful - let him know any special requirements well in advance (before you arrive if possible, in writing!)

There may well be an Xmas tree in your cottage, possibly decorated.

I always take my favourite kitchen knives, ready sharpened, as the ones there are often blunt. I've also just started my 'English Xmas Essentials' box - marmite & ginger marmelade so far. But we buy most of our things there - Brinta is a bit like readybrek, but wheat based, and our kids love it. Albert Hijn is good in Valkenswaard (6km up the road) for all shopping. There could also be an open air ice skating rink in that town as well, should the urge take you (and of course, skiing withing the Center Park - I've never used it so don't know the booking procedure).

Look out for the (brobably hibernating) otters in the hide between the Swimming pool & sports hall. There is (or was at last glance) a Slijterij (or off licence) entered separately from outside but uses same staff as sweet shop - this mainly sells spirits (very cheap gin & vodka - Ketel 1 is about £16 in UK, and about £8 there). Wine & Beer is in the normal shop. Likewise, supermarkets don't sell spirits (and sometimes not wine), so you may want to stock up on the ferry or en-route (there is another off licence in the small shopping mall entered opposite Albert Hijn (on the same side of the road)).

I'm planning to go shopping there once I've dropped the family off at our park down the road (well, 15 miles) and will really need to stock up well.

Mark
Mark, thanks so much for the info. We love CP and have been looking at the euro ones, they seem so much cheaper. Did you find the parks easy to find by car??
I've recently done a comparison, and the pricesare about half of the UK price.

Car is absolutely fine. You get a sketch map with the info pack.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.