Spain - Balearics - Ibiza Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Ibiza.
cant help you with your question, but we are off to Santa Eulalia in 5 weeks.........would appreciate if u could give update of resort.

Mark
There are a few places on the high street to change your travel cheques, you can change them at any of the banks which are open till around 2pm Mon - Fri and also at the Travel Agency.

Too tell you the truth though we went with travel cheques to Santa Eulalia last year and wouldn't do it again because most places have stopped accepting them, including the supermarkets and even the tourist shops which is annoying. Would really recommend using a mix of TC, Cash and your cash card, remember that you can use a VISA card in shops as normal providing you carry your passport with you.
Hi balearicjobs ... was that problem with Sterling TCs or Euro TCs ? I have previously heard of problems in some resorts, but mainly with Euro TCs.

David :wave
I think we used Sterling cheques... must admit I can't remember precisley. We actually got talking to one of the shop owners there, Holidays I think it is called, and he said that they had stopped accepting them a few months before because of the amount of fraud that was going on with them.

The real problem that we had was not been able to use them outside of normal shop hours, however the Travel Agency on the high street was open fairly late I think and they where happy to accept them providing we had both our passports for ID (which they photocopied) and the address of the hotel (including room number) we where staying at. We found using a VISA card was useful, but must admit I felt uneasy about having to carry my passport everywhere.
Why bother with cheques? Take your bank card and withdraw cash from the holes in the walls. Easier than fiddling with bank opening hours, Just check with your bank on charges. Most ATMs have an English option and you can get cash when you want it.
hi
thanks for your answers i dont want to use them in shops or restaurants i just want to change them for cash. Everywhere else we have been we have changed them in the hotels we were staying in i just wondered if they do it at the orquidea where we are staying. I prefer to take cheques because i dont have a credit card just a debit card and when i went to use it a few months ago on line it wouldnt work despite it being valid and plenty of money in there !!!!!! it was a fault at the bank apparently. I couldnt cope with the stess of that happening again while abroad !!!!!!!

Katherine
Probably the only way to find out if they offer that service is too call them, the number for your hotel is (+34) 971331492 ... most hotels in Santa Eualia have english speaking receptionists... dail 08707949596 before you dial the above to get it for the cost of a local call oppose to a international call. In spainish to ask the receptionist if they speak english simply say, "hola... habla ingles, por favour?" - Hello Do you speak English please - if not just say something like "de nada, adios" - No problem, Bye! :D

About your card not working, quite often credit / debit cards will not work abroad or stop working shortly after you start using them abroad because of a secruity feature in place with alot of banks. To avoid this simply call up your bank / CC provider before you leave and tell them where you will be using your card, this should stop them from stopping your card. However it is still a good idea to take a note of the telephone number for your bank / CC provider with you so you can call them to reinstate your card if it stops working.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.