Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
The delay didn't show up on the Gatwick flights site until AFTER most people would have started their journey to Gatwick. I was delayed 11 hours coming home in November, it wasn't a problem for me but would have inconvenienced many who were on connecting flights and I would not have been too happy to have had a delayed departure from Gatwick either. We have noticed that some other operators have had short delays but TC seem to be having the most problems this season. I am flying with them again in March so I hope that whatever problems they have, they will be sorted out by then.
hi

im travelling with tc in 2 weeks so i hope this is just a one off cos i dont think i could cope with a long delay going out there....we went to lanzarote in march and had a 28 hour delay coming home cos the plane went tech and they couldnt get an engineer to fix it cos it was good friday.....i hate delays......lol

angie xx
Me too angieh but I would rather be delayed than risk flying on a plane that has technical problems. However I do wonder sometimes, especially with long haul, whether there really is a technical fault at all. I think sometimes the crews are over their flying hours and if they don't have a fresh crew to take over then they use the "technical problems" card as a get out clause (they always seem to have you on the flight before the 12 hours is up and they incur claims)- I don't mind having a half sleepy cabin crew (the ones on my return flight in November looked pretty tired) but I DO prefer to have a pilot who is on the ball :D
Chilly - the flight taxied at 0954 so you can let your friends know its on the way. Fizz
My friend phoned me last night she's on the Thomas Cook Airlines flight on Saturday departing at 20.05 hours. However the flight is delayed until 9am today (Sunday), they were told the aeroplane is still in America!!! :yikes Ive text her this morning but not heard back yet. I looked on the flight departures for Gatwick and as Fizzy said the flight is off at but what a horrendous delay.
They were supposed to land in Goa at 11.30am Goa time and now they wont be there until midnight so thats a day of their holiday wasted.
Its not very often you can say you were happy with a delay, but it was just right for us.That Gatwick flight 3 weeks ago which was delayed meant the Manchester flight back to the Uk was also delayed(same crew who had to have the reqiured sleep break). So we were told on the Sunday evening and instead of leaving at 1.30am, we were told to have a nights sleep and leave at 7am.

Well organised by Thomas Cook and for once a good delay. :tup
When I was delayed I was lucky as I knew about it BEFORE I left my guest house so I spent the day chilling out. My hubby (who was in the UK) sent me a text advising me of the delay and my taxi driver also called me at 0730 just as I was on my balcony having my first cuppa :tongue Really lucky as I was travelling FO and didn't have access to a rep (as I would have had in a hotel). I did phone TC's Goa emergency number to find out exactly what was happening, in fact I tried 3 times........nobody answered :duh Thank goodness it wasn't a real emergency or I would have been in deep s***!
I failed to mention lots of people were at the airport all night because they had no access to a 'rep', so they were not too happy. :que :que
Gemma thats the same thing that happened to my friends who were supposed to fly home today, 3 weeks ago they were to due to leave Gatwick in the eve on sat and get here 11.30am and had the same thing happen!! exactly!!! they were told it was technical... sounds unlikely if its happening regularly same flight times etc???
chilly
Worst delay I have had is 22 hours, think that was going from Manchester to Goa with First Choice. No real reason given. We were put up in airport hotel and woken at crack of dawn for breakfast and then didn't leave the hotel for hours!! What was worse was that we can only get away for a week and to lose a day is not good. And then we had 1 wet day :yikes
No real probelms since, the acceptable 30-40 min which is usually made up on the way.
Roll on Jan 24th for next trip and keep everythein X's no delays - Unless its on the way back and we get an extra day!!
Best delay I had was an extra 24-hours in our hotel in Goa! :rofl
If a planes delayed in goa its easy for them to contact you and and stop you from leaving your hotel, ( provided your not flight only) also the airport is so small its difficult to accomodate delayed passengers. this happened to us on sunday and allowed us to have breakfast and a few more hours in the sun. wish it had been delayed a week :)
we're flying out on Xmas Day with Monarch from Gatwick and then back again on 16th January. We're flight only so when its time to return who would be the best people to ring to check for any delay - anyone any ideas? Would it be best to call the Monarch UK telephone line...or Dabolim airport.....??? would hate to be stuck at Dabolim for a long time unecessarily!! :(
I would suggest that you visit your nearest hotel and check the tour operator boards, someone is sure to be on your flight.
Seems the simplest solution :tup :tup
Just read in the paper today the the "technical problems" loop hole has now been closed after a ruling by european judges. We can now claim £235 to £560 in compensation depending on the distance to be travelled.

Jolly good :cheers

Source:Metro Manchester
The best delay we had was this year flying home from Delhi in July.

Most people wanted to get home but when they told us where we would be put up we hoped it would be for a few days. :D

Check this out: http://www.shangri-la.com/en/property/newdelhi/shangrila
I was on the delayed flight back from GOa on SUnday/Monday

We were told about 5pm on Sayurday so at least we weren't stuck at the airport.

The problem was that the plane was stuck in Las Vegas in the snow for 48 hours so we had the knock on effect of that
Hi samtheboater the shangri-la hotels are lovely stayed in one in singapore a couple of years back. :tup Gel
Just read in the paper today the the "technical problems" loop hole has now been closed after a ruling by european judges. We can now claim £235 to £560 in compensation depending on the distance to be travelled.

listened to this on Radio 4 this morning and I noticed that they referred to European flights in relation to this, so maybe not applicable to long haul ex Euro flights..
Also wonderd if the fact that such compo may be claimed, would it "pressure" pilots to fly with defective aircraft, bad weather etc.
After all a flight with 300 passengers would cost the airline over £70,000 in payouts and I could see a pilot refusing once being a bit frightened to make a regular occurence of it.
I think that I would be prepared to forgoe compensation if I was sure that the aircraft did actually have a fault, rather than possibly fly on one that might not make it.
However, I take the point that a lot of people suspect that the airlines use this "loophole" to escape from penalties incurred by bad scheduling etc.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.