Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Well McDonalds and KFC are only just over the road!

Seriously, here are a few places I know not far from Solaqua. These are open all year and cater for locals not just tourists.

Cafe O Jorge, above the Pingo Doce supermarket by the 'Watches' roundabout. Excellent piri-piri chicken after around 7pm in the evenings. More of a working people's cafe in the daytime.

Alfredo's, along the road towards the old town but turn left at the Telecom shop. Good value for a 'proper' dinner.

Adega do David, up the hill about 50 metres from Alfredo's where a few of us had a very good piri piri chicken with chips and stuff plus beer for 9 Euros last week. Nice bar (Floyd's) next door as well!

Prazeres going down the Rua dos MFA into the old town, turn right at the bottom by the Geordi Viking bar and it's there.

O Valeiro and O Cateiro in the road to the tunnel. Both do an excellent fixed price tourist menu around 9 or 10 Euros plus set lunches for as little as 6 or 7.

Don't go near the places in the square where they chase after you with menus as you won't get change out of 20 Euros per head. Even more so, avoid the places right down on the seafront! If the Tex-Mex place just back from the beach is open, you can get some good deals there.

Hope that helps.
Cubsur, thanks for all of these recomendations, we will be spoilt for choice LOL ;)
cappuccino on the opposite side of the road to the library slightly higher up the road library is near the worms roundabout 7 euros for three course meal with drink,also pingo dolce cafe opposite modelo hope this helps. :tup
Capuccino was very nice. We were there last month but almost walked passed as there was no visible signage. If you cross over the nearby wasteground there this will take you to the Strip. We also tried Pingo Doce but to be honest found it a bit "canteenish" although the food was very good and cheap.

If you want to eat in the Strip I would suggest Os Compadres. Walk right up the strip (you will see the Montechoro Hotel at the very top). Before you get to the top on the right hand side you will pass American Diner, Betty Boops, Mr Menu, Stones Bar.. then there is a little square. Theres a few restaurants in the square. On the left hand side is Os Compadres. For 8 euros you get bread in a basket, soup, choice of maybe 6 mains, choice of 5 desserts, then tea/coffee. Also included in the price is wine, beer or a soft drink. It gets very very busy though.

Next door is The Cottage, also worth trying with a varied menu at really good prices.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.