Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Dave - I'm almost sure I bought a product similar to Zovirax in a chemist in PEK. As we didn't venture much further out of the resort, it must have been fairly central. I'm sure someone else could be more specific.
Not sure if you're being serious or not! I don't think a 14 day supply of pain-killers will be much to carry.
If you are serious, then there'll be a pharmacy in Sousse even if not PEK, I would've thought that you'll venture into the surrounding area at least once during your stay, it is a nice little journey on the noddy train.
There is a chemist at the marina, as you go through the arch? it's on the right hand side. When I went the man spoke good English.

Enjoy your stay.
The pharmacist in that chemist is very nice and his English is excellent. You can get most things there but if you need a prescription he will direct you round the corner to a doctor who will write one out for you. There are plenty of chemists in Sousse as well, easily recognised by the usual green cross.
I have been into the chemist as you go into the marina a couple of times,I usually buy my sprays because I am asthmatic,they are a quarter of the price to what I pay on prescription here,you can also purchase Antibiotics over the counter as well,they do speak very good English,and are very helpful.
As someone else has mentioned the chemist in PEK is just through the big arch and to right, you can't miss it.
My mum has had to use them a few times as one two week holiday she forgot to take her arthritis tablets with her and was in agony, when she explained what tablets they were the chemist was able to give her the same ones for a lot less than she paid here.
On another occasion she got her chest burnt just above her bikini and it blistered and got infected when she went into the chemist to ask for some cream he looked at it and took her into the back room and cleaned and dressed it for her at no extra charge (I still tease her that he only wanted a feel of her boobs lol).

Leanna xx
Thanks very much everyone, it's good to know there is a chemist and help available!

Don't like the sound of the infected sunburn though, i'll watch out for that :)

Cheers,
Dave
Not sure if you're being serious or not! I don't think a 14 day supply of pain-killers will be much to carry.

Kevin, I think it is probably more to do with taking certain drugs in to a country rather than the weight involved that might be worrying Dave.

For example those visiting Dubai, the UAE won't allow many common painkillers, cold and cough remedies, which you might assume to be harmless, these must be accompanied by a prescription. Many of these drugs are available over-the-counter here in the UK.

Having said that I don't think there is such a ban in Tunisia, Kevin or aslemma might be able to confirm this :que
Hi When we went to Tunisia I took all my med,s for my diabetes and painkillers and had no problem at all. I declared it at the airport and they just waved me through.
As far as I know they are not banned and I was actually prescribed paracetamol out there when I had to have a toenail removed in a local clinic (it's a long story). However, I've been told by people living there that it is difficult to get stronger strengths of certain things, for example I always have 400 mg Ibuprofen and locals say they can only get 200 mg so I always carry plenty, both for my own use and for friends - I'm known as Pat the Chemist. :rofl
Sorry I should have elaborated a bit more. Yep I was a bit concerned about taking certain painkillers through. I take Nurofen Plus at the mo which contains iboprufen and codeine - I know some countries have laws about codeine for some reason.

Cheers,
Dave
Hi,

Just to follow up, I found the chemist near the marina just as described, many thanks for the tips!

The staff were the most helpful and friendly I came across while over there, incidentally. We had to return several times due to infected mosquito bites and chronic stomach upsets.

Staying at a very popular hotel at PEK and dining there my whole family suffered form pretty nasty food poisoning, and we certainly were not alone. In the end more and more people opted to just risk bread and butter etc from the canteen and buy tinned food from the nearby shops. To say it put a dampener on the holiday would be an understatement. Without tests nobody can prove one way or the other where the poisoning came from but I would nevertheless urge people to be aware, if not already.

Cheers!
Dave
So sorry to hear you had so many problems Dave. The mozzies can be vicious I know but I've never had the misfortune to suffer from an upset stomach in Tunisia, though I have other countries and it can certainly put a damper on the holiday, especially if it continues. I know it has been particularly hot out there this year so that might also have had some bearing on it. Hope you've fully recovered now and look forward to reading your review of the hotel.
Hi thanks aslemma!

Bites are not too bad now after some antihistamine pills and cream. Stomach is still 7" bigger than normal but I am sure it will right itself soon. You are right about the heat, i've been to hot places but this was my first time in Africa and it was an experience. I'll write a few words about the hotel some time. Apart from the obvious problems it was one of the best I have stayed in.

Dave
I never travel anywhere without Anthisan cream to take care of bites etc. I feel I should have warned you! Now go to bed!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.