General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
children on own
21 Posts
I suppose it depends on how mature and sensible they are! Why not take them on holiday with you, let them have their own room, let them come and go as they please around the hotel and resort as long as they check in with you a couple of times a day?
My kids are getting older faster each year, and it's a problem I will have to think about in a few more years - I'd be more worried leaving them at home in case they had hundreds of mates round for a house-wrecking party, but some kids are much more sensible than that.
We (myself and 3 other 17 year olds) went to S.France in pre erected tents.
It was the only holiday we could afford on Saturday job wages!! :lol:
My parents said they wouldn't let us go on our own and that they (and brother) would come with us :shock: Then my friends parents (and brother) said they would come too!
Turned out ok! We had a great time!
They did tell us off once for burning the candle at both ends :roll:
Each set of parents had their own tent and we had ours.
Plenty or space between them too!

Why don't you try both being in the same resort?
Any problems and your not too far away.
They won't cramp your style or you them :wink:
When I was 18 I had my first holiday without my parent - went with my 17 yr old cousin to Tunisia.

All depends how mature and sensible your pair are, and how much you trust them not to go mad of course.

THey can almost do everything legally now anyway - time to give them some freedom.
thanks for the advice i came to that conclusion after thinking about it some more and have booked to go to fuertaventura next year and have booked them there own 2 bed bungalow so they get there own place and there own bedrooms as well.you never know who they will be inviting back to there room. :oops: .thanks all.....jon
That's a good idea, they will fell independant but you are nearby if any probs. :tup
Last year when we went to Turkey thats what we did, we booked a room for my 17 year old and his friend. So that they had there own independance but we was nearby if they should need us.

It worked very well, they did need us when my sons friend hurt his side in a foam party one night, we was there to help. Don't know what they would have done if we was not nearby. :roll:

I would recomend you do the same thing :lol:
My son who is 18 is coming out to cyprus with us, but staying in another hotel.
This then gives him his freedom and Independence on his first holiday abroad,(without us in the same room).

gail................
I've just asked my Son if he will want to come on holiday with us next year.

He will be 17 this coming December, and he's just asked me if he can go on holiday with some friends of his next Summer, he'd be approaching 18 then.

I'd have to decide if he was responsible enough for me to allow this, but what about from a legal point of view?

Can a 17 year old travel to a foreign country?

Are there any countries they'd be excluded from due to their age?

At least one of the friends will be 18 this year.

I think I've read on HT that the person making the booking has to be at least 18 for contractual reasons.

What about holiday insurance?

Would insurance companies be prepared to insure a 17 year old?
I know T Cook is one of the companies that will allow a 17 year old to travel however, the lead passenger has to be 18. You will have to sign a letter of consent saying you are happy for him to go.

The letter should be signed in front of them and also they may ask for evidence that you are the person signing the letter.

I don't think you will have a problem with a good insurance company.

HTH

Kath HT Admin
Thanks for the info Kath :D

Will have to ponder long and hard over this one.

Philippa :D
As far as I know Pippy most companies will let a 17 year old go away on their own as long as at least one member of the party is 18 to sign all the documents etc legally, and most will require parental permission from those who will not be 18. (Think its date of departure, but I may be wrong on that)

Not quite sure what would happen if 2 17 year olds were booking their honeymoon though - get their parents to sign permission slips :lol: seems a bit nuts to me!
oh yes that's a point.

I know my friend's daughter went away last year when she was 17, a group of about eight went to benidorm, and I think a couple of them were 18 so didn't have any problems.
As i re read this I thought of my friend who married at 16!
Not sure what she did as it was a long time ago but does seem mad legal wise

Must admit I'm hoping he might go off the idea :?
Pippy
Pick up the carving knife and CUT the apron strings, if he's half as sensible as you apear then you have no problems

brian
Yes, but what about alcohol, and girls, and.................................babies :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes

Might sound dramatic, but who knows what temptations await, and how many 17 year olds could resist?

You're right though, if he wants to go then I won't stop him, all I can do is arm him with lots of advice and a weeks wages worth (mine) of credit for his phone :shock: :shock: :lol:

Hopefully the worst that could happen is a few hangovers.
My son is 21 and he has already served in Bosnia and Iraq, done tours of Germany and Canada, he is a mechanic, I am really proud of him, trust your son talk to him about anything and everything and he will reward you with his maturity regards G
I think the trouble is, I still view him as a child in some ways.

Any other 16/17 year old boy/man looks like a young adult to me, but I suppose when you live with them you don't notice them growing up!

He's been abroad several times so it won't be totally alien to him :D
Not got kids but i reckon a good compromise would be for your son and his friend to either stay in their own room in same hotel as you or stay in hotel in same town as you. That way your son and his friends have their independance but you're close by if anything does happen.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.