Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
The prices went up whilst we were there this week. Amber leaf from €25 to €44 ouch
Hi y'all. I too returned from the Costa Brava, (Calella) this week, and was horrified to learn that overnight, the cost of Elixyr had risen from 16 Euro's to an astonishing 33 Euro's. Anybody out there know the reason? My own personal view is that the UK EMP's have pressurised Spain into adopting a price structure more in line with the UK, in an attempt to cut down on the number of ,"Tobacco Runs" that UK citizens are making. :yikes
Could it be the spanish government have put prices up as the holiday season begins,knowing people are still going to purchase them.I think it is outrageous to double the prices on some products,ven though they ae still a lot cheaper than over here
Hi and apologies for the unhealthy questions we are staying at the marina pax hotel and were wondereing where is the best place to go for benson and hedges/ sovereigns and golden viginia. Also in these credit crunch times can any of you smokers recommend any substitute foreign brands on sale in Majorca that are similar to benson and hedges, sovereign and golden virginia tobacco but much cheaper thus giving us more for our money.
Thanks in advance
They are only on sale in Tabac shops Gally, so are all same price.
i usually get B&H american red, virtually identical but €14 cheaper per 200
hello, im going to greece next week, and i am briging back some amber leaf, for persanal use, does any one no how much im allowed to bring back, and most of all the price, thanks :tup
This is the Majorca forum. You should get a better response if you re-post in one of our Greek forums.

luci :wave
http://www.cmtabacos.es/wwwcmt/listaPrecios.php

at some time they had to go up.but like a year ago some brands went down.in line with uk prices going up in budget
Hippyjak, according to a poster on moneysavingexpert.com, whose spanish is probably better than mine

thread on MSE with explanation

Post edited for copyright reasons, please feel free to post a weblink as an alternative to reprodicing material
David HT Mod
Hi, can anyone let me know if tabac shops in Cala D'or accept credit cards? and if so do they charge? thanks. :sun2
most tobacco places take credit cards but you wont get the cash rate !

example if you pay cash you will get a rate of 1.15
if you pay card you will get lower bank rate of about 1.10
they dont charge commision on cards tho

hope this helps
depends what card you use.me i use nationwide and get the top rate and no charges.other card charge 2% or more to use.plus a lower exchange rate given
bigjimfin wrote:
most tobacco places take credit cards but you wont get the cash rate !

example if you pay cash you will get a rate of 1.15
if you pay card you will get lower bank rate of about 1.10
they dont charge commision on cards tho

hope this helps

Are you speaking about paying in sterling? If you pay in euros you will just pay the price quoted in euros.

If you are using a credit card, make sure they charge you in euros. If they convert it to sterling you will get a poor exchange rate.

Thanks for the replies. When I was in Spain earlier in the year one shop did not charge for using a credit card and I got a better rate using that than the euros I had taken with me. Another shop wanted 1.5% extra if I used my card.
Hi All; Going to Santa Eulalia Ibiza soon :sun2 ; does anyone know location of any Tabacs here that will accept credit cards. Also Luci; when they say how much bill is & you hand your card over; do you have to tell them that you want charging in Euros in case they automatically convert to sterling. Any help appreciated.
Brigger

Your post about Santa Eulalia would be better posted in the Ibiza forum.

Check what the screen on the credit card terminal says before putting in your Pin. We were told what the total was in euros, but on the screen it was in sterling. Best to total what it should be before you get to the till.

Thanks Luci, I`ll look before I leap next time; never thought to check which forum I was on. :whoops
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.