Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Hi Gary

I haven't been on the same tour as you are thinking of booking but have been to China twice, the first time on a pretty extensive tour.
There is usually a fair amount of walking on the tours, but apart from the Great Wall it was all pretty easy and I do believe at one of the tourist spots for viewing the Wall there is now a gondola to take people part of the way up.
As for the hiking gear, I'm not sure. What is probably meant is comfortable casual clothes especially shoes. Not brand new shoes, some that you find really comfortable and warm as it will probably be very cold in Beijing and the north.. You will need some lighter clothes for further south as it should be warmer in Kunming and Guilin though in December it is rarely really hot. Layers that you can take off if needed would be best. Although you can buy clothes at cheap prices in China they are usually made to fit the small chinese figure and even the extra large sizes would only fit a European medium sized person, this could have changed now though with many more western tourists visiting the country..
Both times I visited I found people dressed very casually and on the second visit I only took one what I would call dressy outfit and could probably have managed without that.
Nearly all hotels have a reasonably priced laundry service so you don't have to worry if your clothes will last the 27days.
If you need any more info just ask

Judith
Hi Judith

Many thanks for your sound advice

Cheers

Gary
Hi Gary
are you doing the China Panorama tour with CTS Horizons?

If so, my review of this tour may be helpful, the itinerary has changed since we went last October though:
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=127655&p=1276585&hilit=cts+horizons#p1276585
I do fancy the sound of Datong which is one of the places we didn't visit.
There's some general advice at the end of my review which you'll probably find useful - especially after the comment 'this tour is not for the faint-hearted'. :yikes
If it's any help, the oldest person on our tour was a 72 year old lady, the only thing she found too difficult was the walk up onto the Great Wall but you're doing a different section and it may be easier (or harder) to get on there. She did say she was going to sleep for a month when she got home though. :D
We are in our mid-fifties, quite fit and used to walking (in the Peak District), but even we found it hard on the legs and feet at times.

Judith's advice is spot-on, don't pack any posh frocks :rofl .
As I say in my report, it's a very casual tour and sometimes you go straight to dinner from sightseeing so don't even have time to change.

If you can get those trousers that zip off into shorts and crops, they'd be perfect.
Failing that, just some comfortable casual trousers will be fine.

Take layers: T-shirts, fleeces and waterproof/windproof jackets.

I mainly wore some Nike trekking sandals and some lightweight walking boots (suede/fabric) - but both were well worn-in.

There are options to visit some shows in the evening, but even at these events the dress code was very relaxed.

If you do book, I'm sure you'll have the experience of a lifetime.
I'm probably repeating what the girls have already told you but comfort is the key Gary. Wear footwear that you are used to walking in. Linen trousers are also good as are the zip off trousers that Cat mentions as they are 3 pairs in one (we got Peter Storm pants - they triple as shorts, 3/4 trousers and long trousers). A hat is also a must for keeping the sun off your face (not sure about Nov/Dec we went in Sept). I did take some dressy outfits as we spent the last few days in Hong Kong and went out to eat every night but on our tour it was casual all the way. There will be some early starts too so I'd also recommend some earplugs (not clothing I know! - but some some locations were quite noisy) if you struggle to sleep in hotels, mind you we never seemed to have much trouble at all in nodding off!

Have a fab time - our China trip has been my favourite holiday of all time so far.
Many, many thanks to all who have given their sound advice. We have been advised that some of the places we are going to are going to be very cold so have bought Berhghaus, Craghopper, Regatta etc layered breathable clothing. Got some decent walking boots rather than trainers - I have found they are more comfortable over a long day. Just need to get some decent Goretex coats but they all seem very expensive. Anyone know of where I can get them cheaper?

Once again, many thanks for your invaluable assistance

Gary & Jacqui
Hi Gary & Jacqui

It sounds like you've made good choices for your clothing.
You could look at brands such as Trespass & Gelert, they do the waterproof & windproof jackets (I have one of each).

Trespass sometimes have shops in the Designer Outlet places (I know there is one in Doncaster).
Actually one of the Outlet places may be the best place for you to start if there's one near you. In the 2 outlets near us there's Mountain Warehouse and Outdoor Scene plus a few others.

Enjoy your trip and don't forget to do a review for us when you're home.

Regards
Hi all

Unfortunately CTS had to cancel our holiday due to lack of bookings. We have, however, managed to book with Wendy Wu for slightly less money and a slightly different itinery leaving 4 days earlier.

Thanks for your adive, Prettypollycat, we have a mountain warehouse near us in Gloucester so will be giving them a visit.

Regards to all

Gary & Jacqui
Hi Gary
I'm sorry to hear about your CTS trip being cancelled.
I knew that Wendy Wu did a very very similar trip to the CTS one as I did extensive research when booking our trip last year.

Actually, helenf is also looking to book a China tour:
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=139186

and I did mention to her about possible cancellations or changes to the departure date.
That was one of the questions we asked CTS - how many people were booked for each advertised departure date.
As we were not tied to a particular date, we booked on the one with most bookings and as it turned out, that date DID go but 3 other couples on our tour had booked for other dates but were asked if they would be willing to change.

Good luck with the shopping trip and have a great time in China.
Just a note about Guilin in December...if you go there you'll probably visit Yangshuo for the walking. We were very cold there in November...great in the days between 11 and 4pm...but we needed 2 layers plus coat at night and slept with thick socks on.
If you do get caught out....the fake Northface stuff is everywhere....should last a few weeks at very cheap prices.
If you buy it in Guilin it'll be more expensive, but if your itinerary takes you via Guangzhou you'll find it very cheap.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.