Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
We were there this Feb half-term. I would say that the English are definitely in the minority. However we certainly weren't the only English voices I heard. There were a fair number I would say.There seems to be quite a mixture of nationalities, judging by the evening entertainment where everything seemed to be announced in about six languages! The animators did everything in the daytime, like 'Crazy Games' in all these languages too, no problem for your teenager to join in. Whether he actually 'makes friends' is more in the lap of the gods I'd say. Just depends on who else is there and how outgoing he is.

It is a good hotel with friendly helpful staff and excellent food. Please ask if you have any questions I can help you with.
Do many English stay at Clubhotel Riu Gran Canaria?

Hi good question. We are going to this hotel in May and have read reviews about it mainly being German's and how they can be a lillte rude and pushy when it comes to quee's and stuff....... :think
We have stayed at two different RIU hotels and have to say there were very little English at both of them. Our son was 16 and we found it was the younger children, of whom there were plenty, that actually mixed with other nationalities.
When we were there (Feb.) a cpl of years ago it was mostly Germans and Scandanavians,but there were some English and Scottish there,also all the entertainment was done in about 5 different languages!
No-one was rude or pushy. There weren't any queues to push into! :)
Hello there, My wife and i have stayed at this excellent hotel twice now in November 07 and March 06 and i can confirm to you that yes british are the minority here. Some however may not view that as a bad thing! We would say there was around 20% British both times so you do not feel completly alone! They as said do provide the intertainment in a mix of Languages. We personally have found out of all the nationalities staying here on our trips Germans tend to be the loudest and can be Rude [ im not saying all or all germans for that matter] We just had one or two incidents when waiting at the bar or for the lift when they would jump the queue..... :really

There were plenty of teenage children around and mixing together but thats all i can say really as to if it would be a problem for your teenage children. Remember there are plenty of activitys for him to get involved with and they do cater for all their Guests... Good luck!
Click Here for our reviews of this hotel.

Also if anyone has stayed here would you please assist your fellow holidaymakers by writing a review. Many thanks :tup
we are going to clubhotel gran canaria with a 15 year old boy on aug 23 and were also worried about lack of english guests. are you there then?
Hi,
Unfortunately not.
We are there 28th July to 11th August.

We are also concerned about lack of English guests, following our disaster in Sharm in February. Considering changing hotels and even destination.

Carolyn
Hi we are booked into Clubhotel Riu Gran Canaria from 28th July to 11th August. Are there any other families with teenagers visiting at this time?

The only reason I ask is that we went to Sharm el Sheikh in February half term and about 5% of the hotel occupancy was British. Our 14 yr old son tried to join in some of the entertainment but he was basically ignored and they only spoke in Russian and Italian to cater for these guests.

Don't mind being in the minority but would really like to know that there will be some other British families there at this time, otherwise we may consider changing our hotel booking and even our destination.

Thanks.
Carolyn.
Have stayed in 3 Rui hotels Tenerife and Lanzarote, all of them have been superb quality, but unfortunately we were in the minority, 99% of the guests were either German or Spanish which I will add are offered all inclusive options on the holidays, we were tole we could not get that being scottish!!!!!!! We had our daughter with us age 14 she did not speak i :( n the last 3 years to anyone her age or nationality, we were definitely struggling for Scottish voices.
Hi

We are going here on Saturday, so will post a reply on our return, a work colleague of my travelling companion has been and say's it's BRILLIANT, but will let you know for sure in two weeks time.

Just seen the post about the AI option we pre booked this with our travel agant.

Regards
S
This particular Riu hotel is only all-inclusive. Nobody is there on any other terms. Kenstar is referring to different Riu hotels elsewhere.

If you want to find a hotel with a large number of British people, you should book one that appears in every operator's brochure. Another clue is if there are a very large number of English language reviews on the web for a particular hotel. Usually hotels where the tour ops run their own kids clubs will have large numbers of British families, even if your child is too old for them, at least you would be more sure of finding friends for him.
Hi,
Both Thomson and First Choice go to this hotel. They advertise kids clubs (not their own, I don't think) and activities for teens.
Just getting a bit anxious that we may have 2 weeks with a bored teenager if there are a lot of non-brits around.
That's right, the kids club is the hotel's own. It is only the actual tour ops ones which bring in large numbers of British families. As everyone has said, you are unlikely to be the only British people in the hotel. There will be a fair number, but you will definitely be in the minority. (This is fine for people like us who prefer to avoid the British en masse!) There weren't activities specifically for teenagers, but they could join in the adults activities and the animators were welcoming and spoke English.

To avoid boredom, you will probably have to make the effort to leave the hotel. Our son enjoyed the waterpark, the go-karts and Sioux City.We hired a car and got out and about quite a lot. At the waterpark, you can get a second day free.
The last 40 reviews on Trip Advisor (back to Jan 2007) are all by British people.

Still in a real dilemma about what to do, plus it will cost a fortune to change our booking! Don't want the hotel to be full of British people, but enough families around so that our son (14 yrs) can find some mates to pal up with.
You may find your son will make friends with children of a different nationality. I found this with my son several times. The language doesn't seem to be much of a barrier for youngsters. I am sure you'll have a good time, most RIU hotels have lots going on. We went to Riu Vistamar in October and there was never a dull moment.

Sarah
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.